• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Media Hero and future DLC banned by Nintendo France

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostM

Phantom
To keep a long story short, Nintendo France has updated their ruleset for the official Nintendo tournament that bans Hero and all upcoming DLC characters after September 23rd. I know Hero has been banned in Australia, but this is something else. It’s not even just Hero himself, but future DLC characters like Terry Bogard.

Screenshot below shows the ruleset of the official Nintendo tournament which states its bans on Hero. Translation is provided as well for further understanding.
EF0A0F40-4A6E-4D15-BA12-489A49817278.png

The playable characters during the championship are the base 74 characters, and three of the DLC characters: Piranha Plant, Joker, and Banjo-Kazooie. Also, without this list being limitative, the Hero, and all future DLC characters that come after September 23rd are banned”.

It is real, and you can check it out by clicking this Link. The ban is the direct result of Nintendo trying to listen to the community when creating this ruleset. I believe they are aiming to get rid of any random elements especially from previous early tournaments, like the Smash Ball and FS Meter. It seems to me like Nintendo France doesn’t think Hero is a viable character in competitive play, which is kind of shocking since they’re banning their own character.

Let me know what you guys think of this ban so far.

Adol Christin

Smash Cadet
Dumb ban.

Complètement stupide et vraiment idiot.

They actualy said it was because of the language barrier. But it's a nonsense: every local qualification tournament can be in French and the final european stage can be set in English as it's not difficult at all to learn 21 spells in english (and if you're already a Dragon Quest player around the world, you do know the english translation of the spells).

Well very unfair and bold call, for sure.

Last edited:

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
When’s the tournament taking place? Obviously no one would want to play Terry if his launch date was close to the tournament. Still lame how future DLC characters are banned even though other fighting game tours don’t do this.

GhostM

Phantom
When’s the tournament taking place? Obviously no one would want to play Terry if his launch date was close to the tournament. Still lame how future DLC characters are banned even though other fighting game tours don’t do this.
I believe it is taking place on the 29th of September, in Lille. Not entirely sure why they banned future DLC characters from being used. It would make sense if it was around the release date of the character, but Terry releases in November.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
I believe it is taking place on the 29th of September, in Lille. Not entirely sure why they banned future DLC characters from being used. It would make sense if it was around the release date of the character, but Terry releases in November.
Then NOF's logic is laughable. Nintendo in general has never had a good track record with competitive rulesets, lol.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
Dumb ban.

Complètement stupide et vraiment idiot.

They actualy said it was because of the language barrier. But it's a nonsense: every local qualification tournament can be in French and the final european stage can be set in English as it's not difficult at all to learn 21 spells in english (and if you're already a Dragon Quest player around the world, you do know the english translation of the spells).

Well very unfair and bold call, for sure.
If the language is set to French, then most certainly no. I'd even argue that setting the language to English will cause problems...

French words aren't something you get behind fast. Most people in Europe (where this tournament will be held) don't like learning (i.e. not the language per se) French because of how "weird" to learn and speak it is. You also have to go through 4 spells in a different language frame-perfectly. That doesn't work with French.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I can get the language barrier issue, at least to a degree, but why future DLC?

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
I can get the language barrier issue, at least to a degree, but why future DLC?
From what I heard it's because they don't have a patch cut off like EVO and French regionals run from the 30th of October to the 3rd of November, they're worried about Terry dropping in the middle of their tournament. I think it says all future DLC just in case someone else drops alongside him. It will probably be lifted at some point.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
As has been reported in various places + their own social channels, Nintendo of France has reversed this rule (With regards to Hero) to align with their parent branch/the rest of Europe.

Since this specific issue has been resolved insofar as it was even an issue to begin with, I'm closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom