• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hero Alt-Color Mini Guide

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Since Hero's alt colors all represent different characters from Dragon Quest, I just thought it was time for an old-school DQ fan like me to dish the details on their identities and keep you all in the know.

The Luminary's alt represents Angelo from Dragon Quest 8. He's a cocky ladies man and a strong healer who can also lay down some massive damage. Throughout the game he's tormented by the troubles of his upbringing at a religious monastery which never really accepted him and goes on a small personal journey of his own while on the Trodainians' quest.

Erdrick's alt is the nameless hero from Dragon Quest 5. It's an interesting choice to be represented because official artwork has typically depicted him as a mage, with a big purple turban and massive staves instead of swords. Like most DQ heroes, he's a silent protagonist meant to invite the player to project themselves onto, so he doesn't really have much of a personality, but he goes on a journey spanning a lifetime, starting as a child adventuring with his father and playing with friends, to adulthood, marriage and even fathering children of his own.

Solo's alt actually took me a long time to figure out just because the outfits they have are so different, but he's meant to be the descendant of Erdrick from Dragon Quest 1. He's the protagonist from the first ever JRPG game and he's about as fleshed out as you would think that would make him, but damn if he didn't give us some good memories.

Finally, the Trodainian's alt costume is Terry from Dragon Quest 6, who despite looking like he would play like another hero, actually belongs to the gladiator class, which is all about damage and crowd control. I haven't played 6 though, so that's about all I know. Instead, I'd like to tell you about how Terry is a Pokemon trainer. Okay, that's a slight exaggeration, but he was the star of the original Dragon Quest Monsters game, which expanded on the monster recruitment mechanic from 5 and turned it into a full-on monster collecting game where you play as a young Terry, not old enough to hold his own in a fight yet. So if there are any Pokemon Trainer mains out there looking to try Hero, here's the skin for you.

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
Nice writeup. To add a bit to Terry's description, he initially appears in DQVI as a "rival" of sorts, beating the Hero in a contest to win the powerful Sunderbolt Blade. Fortunately, when he joins the party later in the game, he brings his prize sword with him, which lets him hit all enemies with a strong lightning attack.

It looks like just about every DQ game (two for VIII) gets playable character representation outside of II, VII, IX and X.

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Nice writeup. To add a bit to Terry's description, he initially appears in DQVI as a "rival" of sorts, beating the Hero in a contest to win the powerful Sunderbolt Blade. Fortunately, when he joins the party later in the game, he brings his prize sword with him, which lets him hit all enemies with a strong lightning attack.

It looks like just about every DQ game (two for VIII) gets playable character representation outside of II, VII, IX and X.
Yeah, I'm not really sure why they would pick 2 characters from 8 while neglecting other ones. I mean okay, X never left Japan so I can understand that, but IX I remember being a pretty big hit even here in NA, while 2 and 7 are still considered to be epic, even if they don't have the same amount of clout as some of the others.

Top Bottom