• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Here's How To Get An Early Demo Of The New Pokemon Games

Will you be buying one of the new Pokemon games? Which one?

• Omega Ruby

Votes: 127 34.9%
  • Alpha Sapphire

Votes: 145 39.8%
  • Both!

Votes: 48 13.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 44 12.1%

• Total voters

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
By the time I posted this comment:

Omega Ruby - 68 votes
Alpha Sapphire - 81 votes

I knew Kyogre was the best.

BlueZard

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tangerine1234
I'm getting Omega Ruby, since my friend is getting Alpha Sapphire. Then we can trade version exclusives! I'm choosing Treecko as my Starter, but I like all three to be honest.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
That's honestly the dumbest use of a Mega Evolution in the world. Giving up a Mega for a absurdly powerful Explosion that can easily be countered with Damp or a Pokemon that can eat up the Explosion?
It's not about the usefulness, it's about the joy of making a *BOOM* when you have a chance :101:

Also with the Refrigerate boost; an Explosion can destroy everything with the exception of resistant walls; some Smogon guys did the math and a Boom from 252Atk EVs M-Glalie can cause 79.5%-93.4% damage (guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers Recovery) to a 248HP/252 Def EVs Multiscale Lugia; one of the best Walls in the game.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
That's honestly the dumbest use of a Mega Evolution in the world. Giving up a Mega for a absurdly powerful Explosion that can easily be countered with Damp or a Pokemon that can eat up the Explosion?
How often is the ability "Damp" used competitively? There's always a better second ability like Water Absorb, Cloud Nine, Swift Swim, etc. And if Glalie gets a nice boost in attack (at least to like, base 120), a Refrigerate-boosted Explosion would be devastating to pretty much any Grass-, Flying-, Ground-, or Dragon-type Pokemon (assuming none of them have an Ice-resistant secondary/primary type).

Also, while the use might not seem optimal, remember that Glalie's movepool of normal moves is really bad (Hyper Beam, Giga Impact, and Explosion are its best and pretty much only options. Headbutt too, given the chance to make the opponent flinch which kinda of mitigates its low power), much like Gardevoir, who sadly can't capitalize on Pixelate with anything other than Hyper Beam lol.

EDIT: Forgot about Return, lol. But still, Mega Gardevoir gets next to nothing for Pixelate.

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
RBY BETTER THAN RUBY, SAPPHIRE AND EMERALD!? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That's a good one, please remind me how many Battle Frontiers and ****ING POKEMON ABILITIES do the first two gens have?
How many badges does 3rd Gen have compared to 2nd Gen?

1st Gen has better Starters than 2nd and 3rd Gen. I never said 1st Gen was a better game than 3rd Gen. I only said it had the best starters *Charizard Venusaur Blastoise*

2nd Gen was hands down the best of the three in my opinion because I feel it had the biggest journey. 16 Badges, 2 Regions, and you get to fight Red at the end (which I thought was really cool). Not to mention a clear Day / Night cycle which back when it first came out (NOT THE HG and SS VERSIONS) that was a pretty big deal for a GB game. So do I think 2nd Gen beat 3rd Gen? Yes I do.

3rd Gen's Starters were okay... and the game was okay. Meaning 3rd Gen had better starters than 2nd Gen and was a definite better game than 1st gen but NOT a better game than 2nd Gen.

Read my friend. Color coded it and everything for ya.

Last edited:

darktiko

Smash Cadet
NNID
epicShadowman
3DS FC
1950-9084-7402
HA!!
Mega Sceptile says hi. Grass/Dragon
Neither is best. (but i like sceptile better.) The game makes secret mechanics. Sceptile is a challenge for hard-core or players who want a challenge. Blaziken is a semi-challenge for intermediate players. Swampert is a booster-pack, for the gyms and elite 4 it and Ninetales can wreck them all as a team

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Neither is best. (but i like sceptile better.) The game makes secret mechanics. Sceptile is a challenge for hard-core or players who want a challenge. Blaziken is a semi-challenge for intermediate players. Swampert is a booster-pack, for the gyms and elite 4 it and Ninetales can wreck them all as a team
It's a shame. I love Swampert, but he makes the game so much easier, especially the early-mid game. Sceptile is really hard, especially when it comes to the 3rd Gym. I think that Blaziken is ideal difficulty, helping with some match ups, but not as dominating as Swampert. I'm choosing him, but to keep things challenging, I'll only use Swampert as a last resort.

HellTyrant

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the heads up, looking forward to hopefully receiving a demo code as soon as it's available

Psycho_Bayleef

Smash Apprentice
MegaBlaziken is Uber and is better overall
Mega blaziken is uber because speed boost, and only because of speedboost. It's still made of glass. Bulky swampert isn't going to be ohko'd, and shouldn't get 2HKO'd. Did you protect first turn? Raindance is very likely to have come out, since 99% of blazikens use the same set and protect is inevitable. Waterfall in the rain IS going to ohko mega blaziken.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
It's not about the usefulness, it's about the joy of making a *BOOM* when you have a chance :101:

Also with the Refrigerate boost; an Explosion can destroy everything with the exception of resistant walls; some Smogon guys did the math and a Boom from 252Atk EVs M-Glalie can cause 79.5%-93.4% damage (guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers Recovery) to a 248HP/252 Def EVs Multiscale Lugia; one of the best Walls in the game.
That's still losing a Mega Pokemon just to do damage to an opponent that can possibly live and not to mention the opponent can still switch out to a resistant Pokemon and end up making your sacrifice worthless. Plus, Mega Glalie is getting 80/80/80 defenses that can still get it wrecked in OHKO from a strong Super Effective hit. Return or even Giga Impact can make it profit from the STAB it gets from Refrigerate.

EDIT: Also, don't forget that Lugia can still hit hard on it, so good luck getting a predicted switch.

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
That's still losing a Mega Pokemon just to do damage to an opponent that can possibly live and not to mention the opponent can still switch out to a resistant Pokemon and end up making your sacrifice worthless. Plus, Mega Glalie is getting 80/80/80 defenses that can still get it wrecked in OHKO from a strong Super Effective hit. Return or even Giga Impact can make it profit from the STAB it gets from Refrigerate.

EDIT: Also, don't forget that Lugia can still hit hard on it, so good luck getting a predicted switch.
Well I never said that I was going to go Nuclear against a Lugia, the calculations were only to show how much damage can do with an Icy Kaboom (if that thing can almost destroy the bulkiest Uber imagine what can do to another walls, only Heatran, Empoleon, Ice/Water types and M-Aggron can recieve the boom and laugh after that)
And in doubles/triples some mindgames can help; using Protect or another coverage move instead of Explosion predicting the opponent switching Pokémon and then attack with a teammate, but in the end is just hilarious to imagine that thing exploding and transforming the field into a Tundra.

Last edited:

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
My genwunner senses are tingling....
Being a 26 year old pokemon lover who has played each pokemon game near its release, I will admit that nostalgia plays a big role in why gen 1 is my favorite group of starters, BUT I have loved each pokemon game more than the previous... I would much rather play x or y than break out my gameboy and play red or blue.
How RUDE!
Gen 5 says hi
(for last part)
Great point...
1st Gen: Best Starters
2nd Gen: Best Game
3rd Gen: Okay Starters / Okay Game
This is actually a better way to put how I feel. I'm actually not a huge fan of Totodile,, Cyndaquil or Chikorita now that I think about it...I can't even spell their names... but Gold & Silver were just such wonderful games!
I think I should have started my statement with "In my opinion" instead of flat out saying what's what.
The great thing about pokemon is that no two people experience it the same way, and everyone's passion for their favorite pokemon comes from the journey they share with them building friendship and defeating foes along the way!
(I should seriously write for the Pokémon TV show.)

Last edited:

Molma

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3652-0643-3937
Them feels when the site is "down for maintenance" upon sign-in. Or is it just me?

As for the topic question: I'm getting Alpha Sapphire (my friend is getting Omega Ruby), and I cannot wait to re-explore the Hoenn Region with all its glory.

The Treecko line has been my favorite in RSE and I am so glad it's got quite the buff through Mega Evolution. As for the world itself, I loved RSE for its very large and diverse environment. I still say that Gen 2 was my favorite overall with having 2 regions and 16 badges as well as it being a pretty direct sequel to RBY (the lack of difficulty was my only issue), but what they did in Gen 3 was a really nice alternate.

It also makes me happy that they are remaking RSE as I hoped when XY was released.

On another note, I am really surprised that Smash 4 Wii U and ORAS are releasing on the EXACT SAME DAY. Imho this seems like it will be an economical issue on the Wii U's part, since (most likely) nintendo fans want to get both but may only be able to afford one or the other (also I feel for the ones that do not have the respective required console beforehand). That is a potential $500 spent in one day on two major console-selling series.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Those are some pretty big ifs.
Not really. Setting up Sticky Web is easy, as it only takes on turn, same with Rain Dance. I could also Paralyze M-Sceptile with another Pokémon, like Klefki. Mind you, if you switched into my M-Swampert with M-Sceptile, I could predict it and OHKO with Ice Punch. Or I could run normal Swampert with Focus Sash and OHKO with Ice Punch, however that is very situational. This is all assuming we are battling under OU rules, not 1v1. M-Sceptile vs. M-Swampert 1v1, M-Sceptile would always win.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Not really. Setting up Sticky Web is easy, as it only takes on turn, same with Rain Dance. I could also Paralyze M-Sceptile with another Pokémon, like Klefki. Mind you, if you switched into my M-Swampert with M-Sceptile, I could predict it and OHKO with Ice Punch. Or I could run normal Swampert with Focus Sash and OHKO with Ice Punch, however that is very situational. This is all assuming we are battling under OU rules, not 1v1. M-Sceptile vs. M-Swampert 1v1, M-Sceptile would always win.
Obviously. It all depends on the team, I would think though.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Obviously. It all depends on the team, I would think though.
Exaclty. Team-building has changed with the advent of Megas. Teams now tend to focus around supporting their Mega Pokémon. A team focusing around M-Sceptile would likely have an Ice-type counter, such as Heatran, while a team focusing on M-Swampert would have a grass counter, such as Talonflame. This is what gives Pokémon its depth: it's infinite counters and play styles.

Gam3rALO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gam3rALO
Alpha Sapphire all the way! Sapphire was my first non console game

Altern

Smash Cadet
I can not wait for this game! I'm so excited for Mega Beedrill!

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
It didn't come to me and I updated my settings...

Edit: Never mind. It just took a while, that's all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom