• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Here Are A Few Tips on Diddy

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
The gliding throw for diddy does seem to have practical use for offense, if you are close enough to them to glide toss and fsmash/dsmash/dtilt, but its more useful in reverse. The reverse gliding throw, on the other hand, could be used for alot of things. It can be used to both throw an item towards the enemy and slide back at the same time, a defensive maneuver that will undoubtly become more popular. It can also be a quick defense against an attack. For example, lets say link is doing his down A towards your face. you could reverse gliding throw the banana down, and as he lands and slips on the peel, either start your own combo or just smash him away with Fsmash to be safe, Dsmash if you are really close. Another one I thought of is that you can short hop as soon as you do the reverse gliding throw down if you believe they will slip, and by the time they actually hit the ground in their tripping animation you are already in the air ready to do a fair

*Updated 3/14*
I dont know what to make of it, but you can throw your bananas out at 2 different arcs. Just hitting downB sends it at a higher arc and farther away from you, while holding B when you do it drops it about half the distance of the regular downB. You can get to either arc by rolling back and grabbing. I'd say the short arc would prove very useful if you need to get a banana behind you/out ASAP because you are being charged or comboed, etc. I didn't time it, but i believe theres about a 1/2 second-full second dfiference between the short arc and the full arc

I was never good at spotting or even explaining those frames where you can break your animation and do something else (i think its called IASA?), but the only one i've seen so far is similar to falco, in which if you do your running cartwheel, you are free to do something else as soon as his other foot hits the ground. I say that because the entire animation consists of your feet hitting the ground then your other hand touching the ground

I was reading that people had some trouble trying to get the DownA spike working with Diddy. The main thing i can tell you is that when you start the spike, you in no way shape or form want to be above your opponent. If you try to spike someone with diddy and you are already above them, its gonna be some extreme luck if you pull it off. The highest you want to be is your feet level with their head, and even that is really hard. Diddy seems to go vertical alittle before he does his actual spike attack. Unlike other character's spikes (Captain Falcon and the Willy Wonka elevator downA spike..you could go anywhere depending on where you get hit), you hit them with it and they are spiked. Best bet is to jump from under them, up into their lower-mid body at an angle and then spike, so diddy will raise up to mid body when he actually spikes, and the momentum should continue to inch you closer to them as you deliver the spike. And when i say at an angle, i mean dont stand directly under the person and jump into them and spike, or you will get owned

*Added 3/14*
The hump wont latch on after the backflip is done. Ithe latest it will latch is when his sprite is literally upside down (why i dont know). It also wont latch if you are right next to the person. you just go right through.

I did not create this nor do i take credit for it, and it isnt even character specific to Diddy, but practice studder stepping his fsmashes. You'll see a very noticable range increase

I'll try to add more to this as I go along, if i find anything else to add I mean.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Update 3/14

Just added the Diddy hump thing since someone was asking about it in a new thread earlier. Updated uses for the RGT. This thing is getting mighty long >.>

If i find enough new things to add for diddy, I may keep updating this thread. I dunno yet though

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
could you explain stutter steping pls
After further reading, i guess i was doing the double studder step, although I don't know why its called the double when you arent doing the single one twice...anyway

domiNate said:
Once again, say your character is facing right. You can double stutter step by dashing right, quickly tap your control stick left (similar to the time of a dash dance I think) and then quickly pressing c-stick right. This will pretty much double the range of your f-smash depending on what character you are.
So basically hit towards your opponent with the control stick, hit away from him (both of these happen very quickly) and then fsmash towards your opponent. You will notice that the range of your fsmash is longer than if you just stood still and fsmashed.

I<3Shiek

Smash Apprentice
I have to disagree, the glide throw allows for a lot of things, offensively too.

Positioning myself next to an opponent that is slowly standing up or comboing them from a slip is ideal to me, I don't know about yourself, but I prefer to be on top of a slowly standing person for a nice charged D-Smash or F-Smash. :p

pesticide

Smash Lord
*Updated 3/14*
I dont know what to make of it, but you can throw your bananas out at 2 different arcs. Just hitting downB sends it at a higher arc and farther away from you, while holding B when you do it drops it about half the distance of the regular downB. You can get to either arc by rolling back and grabbing. I'd say the short arc would prove very useful if you need to get a banana behind you/out ASAP because you are being charged or comboed, etc. I didn't time it, but i believe theres about a 1/2 second-full second dfiference between the short arc and the full arc
huh. never knew about that. that's good to know now, thx

Top Bottom