• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Henchmen as Playable Characters

Freduardo

Smash Champion
So we all know Smash needs more villain representation. And you typically will go with a final boss, or at least a mid boss.

But me? I picked 'foot soldier' in a lot of rounds of TMNT smash up, Koopa Troopa/Paratroopa/and Dry Bones in Mario Kart, I loved playing the unlockable characters in Castle Crashers. I really enjoy the tv series Venture Brothers.

What I'm trying to say is, henchmen need love too. And Nintendo has some awesome henchmen that even if they were 'handicapped' clones of other characters(I even suggest such in the early smash 5 rosters), I'd love to get my hands on playing as in a game of smash.

I prefer the Twilight Princess Bokoblins to breath of the wild's (and their model is already in the bridge of eldin stage, they looked great in link's crossbow training too) though I'll admit more people will be familiar with breath of the wild's amiibo bokoblins). And I always wished someone would have made a PSA for the guy in the brawl hacking days.

Fighter Joe from Kirby has always been an assist trophy, and one that seems to have a fairly diverse moveset.

Kamek/Magikoopa would probably be one of the most inoffensive Mario additions. Even Hammer Bros. Has enough for a moveset.

Sniper Joe would be the most logical mini Mega man, but no lie, I would play too many rounds as a met hat/ mettool given the option.

And smash bros has its own henchmen in the primids.

So I open it to the board, are there any low level henchmen that you just wish you could play as and beat up a bunch of legendary heroes?

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Kamek is like, an individual magikoopa. He shouldn't be an issue, because he's a standalone character anyway.

I don't think any generic henchman really have all that much a chance tbh. If side characters did, I feel like we'd have Toad by now.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Hell no.

The day Smash starts filling its roster with crap like goombas or kremlings or motobugs is the day everyone stops playing it and the series dies. Henchmen do not "need love" at all, unless they're as part of a movelist of the character they're henching for, like Dedede with his waddle dees and gordos.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I am not opposed to characters using "henchman" in their moveset (King Dedede and Olimar already use them, after all) but "henchmen" as full on characters is a no-no. Unless the character has a lot of relevancy to their series, I'm heavily against their inclusion. No Goombas, no Metroids, no Yiga Clan members - leave the roster for actual characters, and even moreseo, iconic ones.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Hell no.

The day Smash starts filling its roster with crap like goombas or kremlings or motobugs is the day everyone stops playing it and the series dies. Henchmen do not "need love" at all, unless they're as part of a movelist of the character they're henching for, like Dedede with his waddle dees and gordos.
Certain ones I like, certain ones I don't. I don't think adding Shy Guy would automatically mean we're getting Bokoblins and Goombas.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Certain ones I like, certain ones I don't. I don't think adding Shy Guy would automatically mean we're getting Bokoblins and Goombas.
Toad is both a character and a "species" of character in the Mario universe, so he'd probably be okay, the only problem is that he doesn't seem to have very much moveset potential. It's a different story entirely when you start to argue for generic nobodies as playable characters. It'd end up something like this.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Toad is both a character and a "species" of character in the Mario universe, so he'd probably be okay, the only problem is that he doesn't seem to have very much moveset potential. It's a different story entirely when you start to argue for generic nobodies as playable characters. It'd end up something like this.

Lol Blue Lizard for Smash!:troll:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Toad and Waddle Dee for Smash.
I'm not against them, but I feel like there's a reason why Captain Toad and Bandanna Dee have sort of taken over those fanbases. People just want 'real' characters.

Off-topic, but I see that Starfy in your signature. Do you want me to add you to the supporters?

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Yes, I have come the the longest dead thread just to point out the obvious.

Edit: Also, I would like to see more mook characters in Smash. It can certainly lead to some unique movesets.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Yes, I have come the the longest dead thread just to point out the obvious.

Edit: Also, I would like to see more mook characters in Smash. It can certainly lead to some unique movesets.
Yeah, P Plant was my validation for henchmen.

I still want more.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Isn’t this kind of redundant? There’s already a generic enemies thread.

For what it’s worth I’m entirely against this idea and I hope Piranha Plant gets cut for all games to come.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Isn’t this kind of redundant? There’s already a generic enemies thread.

For what it’s worth I’m entirely against this idea and I hope Piranha Plant gets cut for all games to come.
There is another similar thread, but this one came first.

And also I disagree, but you probably know that already.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yeah, P Plant was my validation for henchmen.

I still want more.
Yes. My top five choices are (in alphabetical order):

Goomba
Lynel (design based on Breath of the Wild, a centaur-like fighter would be unique)
Slime (Dragon Quest)
Shy Guy
Toad (my number one choice)

Honorable mentions (aka top ten, I guess):

Cucco (cockfighting would be unique in Smash)
Eggplant Wizard
Guardian (based on Guardian Stalker, Guardian Scout, and Guardian Skywatcher)
Koopa Troopa
Metroid (because why the hell not?)

Last edited:
Top Bottom