• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Helping a new Ike main.

how good is Ike In the current meta

• Good

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Great

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bad

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

paez_dispenser

Smash Rookie
NNID
carmelpacman
i recently started maining Ike a few weeks ago along with marth. I currently feel that I'm okay with the character but not ryo-caliber(I heard he's a prominent member of this community, so if he replies to this thread I'll be godsend.) I would enjoy some tips and help me with some strategies such as spacing, playstyle, and tomahawk grabbing. I also seen a bunch of footstool stuff which would be cool to pull of constantly at my weeklies. Thanks

CGKAHWA

Smash Rookie
Did you watch the Art of Ike? It's a very useful Ike guide that'll teach you all of those things. I believe it's one of the stickied threads, but if not just search the Art of Ike.

paez_dispenser

Smash Rookie
NNID
carmelpacman
Did you watch the Art of Ike? It's a very useful Ike guide that'll teach you all of those things. I believe it's one of the stickied threads, but if not just search the Art of Ike.
Yea I'm just looking for personal strategies

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
For Ike, other than what was already mentioned, I would also recommend that you integrate the following into your gameplay:

+ Set your C-stick configuration to "Attack" instead of "Smash".

It will be easier to perform aerials and tilts this way. This helped to prevent me from accidentally inputting Smash attacks.

+ Low to mid percent throw combos.

In most situations, U-throw works best as it can true combo into most aerials and is even a kill confirm when used with F-air against certain characters near the ledges. D-throw has more hitstun, however, which makes it more useful at lower percents.

+ Jab mix-ups with D-tilt and Grabs.

You would be less predictable if you varied your attack patterns with Jab, such as Jab 1 to D-tilt.

+ RAR B-air.

Apart from spacing with N-air and F-air, RAR B-air is also a good spacing tool and can even net surprise kills as it is both quick and powerful.

+ Quick Draw cancel.

You can cancel the landing lag on Quick Draw if you use it at the appropriate height from the ground. This will allow you to input any command immediately upon landing, such as a Jab.

In regards to Ike in the current meta, I think he's in an "okay" position. I didn't cast a vote on the poll because while I don't think he is struggling in his current state, I don't really see him thriving either. The Ike meta, in my opinion, seems to have been stagnating recently. First of all, one of our dedicated Ike players, Ryuga, has long since pursued another character, and Ryo hasn't been garnering much results with Ike as he used to. Secondly, it didn't look like anything new was discovered for Ike that would help revolutionize his gameplay; this part is pretty inevitable anyway since Ike is a character whose gameplay is centered heavily on fundamentals. And with how static his moveset is and there being very little tech available for him, he is bound to plateau sooner than the other characters.

Sorry if I sounded pessimistic. In spite of this, I do see some potential left, especially if more top-caliber players picked him up. I mean, look what happened with Marth.

^-^

Last edited:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I can safely tell you Ike is on the lower end of the tier spectrum, unquestionably in the bottom 20. If you want to dedicate your time to this character, understand several key things.

1) Never waste a move. Anything you do can be punished. You can't throw footsies out there, as some fast characters, like Captain Falcon, can - and will - punish you from a distance. Conserve your moves as much as possible.

2) Play walling. Edgeguarding is Ike's forte. It keeps enemies from camping him and maintaining stage control. Know your Nairs - reverse and forward - Fairs, and autocancel retreating Bairs, as well as when to ledge hog and when to edgeguard off-stage.

3) Positioning vs. damage. I've learned that it's more important to throw your enemy off the ledge than prioritize UThrow Fair combos. The latter gives your opponent an easy opportunity to come back on stage for free. Ike's lack of mobility makes him a poor landing-catcher, his dash attack being the only exception. If you're centerstage or attacking below 60%, UThrow Fair. If it's high damage, offstage.

4) Know your character weight and floatiness. Rosalina, Ness, Lucas, and Yoshi are among several characters who will no longer be affected by your combo past 60%.

In the current meta, the top players know this matchup and know exactly how to exploit him. They know how to spike Aether and throw large hitboxes out to kill Quick Draw, rendering your recovery nothing short of poor. The less your opponent airdodges, the less opportunity you have to get any damage.

If you're looking for tournament wins, I cannot stress avoiding Ike enough. You may as well play Zelda or Charizard. But if you're looking to play him because he's fun and fits your style, I can't stop you. Just keep the above in mind.

Also, Diddy and Sheik are his 30:70 matchups, with Meta-Knight, Cloud, Greninja, and Donkey Kong being next. Depending on your region, you may or may not have top players that will exploit your character and pick him apart. I wish you best of luck.

Top Bottom