• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with spacie pressure

sbag

Smash Rookie
I can't seem to be able to escape the constant pressure spacies put on. Do I just need to work on DI or not getting hit in the first place? Any tips are appreciated.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
If it's shield pressure, you have a number of options at your disposal. A lot of space animals do early aerials, which give them enough frame disadvantage that they can be shield grabbed. Pay attention to how high they start their aerial, as this will govern whether or not you can shield grab their aerials.

If a spacy up-tilts your shield, chances are they will do it again. You can mash grab and ASDI down Fox's u-tilt until 15%, and Falco's until 22%. When spacies are at higher percents, you can up-b out of shield without being in a bad spot afterward because it will actually throw them far enough away from you. In some situations, though, you have to respect u-tilt and either roll away or wavedash out of shield and reset.

Stomp and nair oos are pretty good options, but you have to time them well, or you will get stuffed. Make sure you jump quickly after shield stun ends.

Another option is to simply double jump away and cover yourself with a stomp, bair, or falling uair. Falco's aerial drift is great, and sometimes jumping over the opponent is not easy for them to deal with (unless they ready you perfectly).

its_toast

Smash Rookie
One thing I've started doing is angling my shield up if I'm predicting drillshine or dairshine pressure. Don't angle it up all the way otherwise you might get hit in the feet, but just up a little bit. What this does is slightly change the timing of the lag for their moves while coming down on you, which should in theory push their shine timings and L-cancel timings back a bit, and starts up your shield stun sooner, which means you might have the grab advantage coming out of their pressure. Try using it in one of the 20XX versions where you can set up the bots to do shield pressure, you'll see what I mean. Other than that, wavedash back, buffer roll, etc. You can also buffer jump while in hitstun by tapping X or Y, and you'll jump on the first frame you're out of it, from there you could try to do a low aerial (risky) or just run away to a platform. Stomp out of shield is not technically "safe" but it will catch a lot of people off guard if you drift correctly.

its_toast

Smash Rookie
Also your fastest out of shield option is actually Up Air. Hard to space correctly, but it's just slightly slower than shiek's nair I believe.

YvngFlameHoe

Smash Ace
If it's shield pressure, the trusty wd OoS helps get away, nair and uair are your fastest aerials (Nair being frame 7 and Uair being frame 6, Gotta be instant tho) so if he whiffs or ****s up shield pressure you can retaliate, Which is really good if implemented with shield stops. If you're on plat in shield, angle it down and forward and shield drop aerial(Uair or Bair) if he jumps up and hits your shield. If you're being pressured in the corner, just try and finesse your way out of there, Like CC dash in to center stage if you're not a high enough %, waveland in on the plat above you, waveland out as a bait and jump over him. If you're at Ledge you can Ledgedash dash thru to center stage, You can ledgestall til you're ready to make your move, You can Hax Dash. Spacies murk but there's answers for em

F!R3

Smash Rookie
Working on DI and not getting hit is always good. But to escape Spacie pressure WD Oos is super good and rolling is actually one of the better options. Stomp Oos when they wave shine.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
Unfortunately, there's a million kinds of spacie pressure. If you're shielding at ledge, you can shield di to grab the ledge and then ledgehop nair. If you're nowhere near the ledge, you can time a shield grab based on how early or late they nair. While I'm not sure how frequently this works, there's often enough time between a shine drill to roll away. If you end up getting shield stabbed and the spacie starts comboing you, your best bet is mixing up your di and techs.

Top Bottom