• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

help with roy matchup

APESAUCE

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1865-1741-8331
so my friend picked up roy as his new main the other week and when i play my ganon against him i constantly 3 or 4 stock him. but when i play my marth (my main) against him i usually beat him but its not by much. i don't know how I'm not wrecking him with my marth because i beat way better people at pm weeklies in my area. he likes to dsmash a lot and fsmash A LOT. any help would be nice

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
Roy's Dsmash is fast on startup but incredibly punishable similarly, Fsmash is also very punishable. You're either not keeping his next move in mind or you might just be playing too aggressive. Learn more effective ways to dash dance and bait out moves. You have great followups from grabs and your Dtilt usually works out more often. Best way to go about Marth vs Roy is dashdance/dtilt footsie and get roy offstage > edgeguard. Alternatively you can utilize platforms really well to combo and juggle with Utilts/Uair.

Last edited:

Preacher

Smash Cadet
Fighting Roy is like fighting a Marth ditto but much easier imo. If you space properly you'll hit with tippers where he'll hit you with a pool noodle. But specifically helping you fight your friend here are a few tricks.

Low %s' -

up throw then juggle up tilts (just juggle up tilts)
down tilt
up throw to platforms then forward smash the way he rolls (will tipper if done right)
grab into smash (if bad at DI)

mid %'s

can be ken combo...ed
down tilt

high %'s

best to get a tech read into smash
forward b into up tilt

any % -

get a good edge guard game going
counter his recovery, once at mid %'s he'll be too far to grab the ledge

Let me know if any of this helps. I'll also answer any other questions you have.

Top Bottom