• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with performing the DJC more reliably?

FourSide™

Smash Rookie
(I'm not sure whether there is a thread on this topic already, so if there is one I apologize) (TJ stands for Tap Jump)

I've been practicing my DJCs for two weeks or so and can't seem to get them down. The main problem is that they are usually too high up off the ground (perhaps I'm not inputting my buttons fast enough?) . The method I've been using is Y - Y - A. I've also been experimenting with other input methods such X - X - A, TJ - Y - A, TJ - Y - Cstick for reverse fairs/bairs.
I've heard that some people have had an easier time with DJCs by switching to the claw grip. I would do that, but I have so much muscle memory built up from playing with a standard grip that having to relearn my controls again would be a pain. If anything, I want transitioning to a claw grip to serve as a sort of "last resort" option (If that makes any sense).

Would it be possible for someone to post a video of his/her hands while performing the DJC? (it doesn't matter which input method) I apologize if this seems like a weird/unorthodox request.

Thank you for reading.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
Just gotta grind it out. Doesn't ultimately matter what combo you use, but knowing the rest of ness' tech, TJ-Y-A is what i use the most. Y-Y-A i use for more obscure things that require the control stick more. TJ-Y-A is important because it's the easiest to use DJC uair, and using Y instead of X allows you to access cstick down for down air much much more easily than X because it's a straight down motion rather than shifting your finger if you use X, causing you to pump out a different aerial than dair quite often. (and putting out dair asap as well as accurately is reeeally important).

I also use Z to L-cancel. I'll probably learn to use soft triggers to L-cancel but i don't have the soft button/trigger/stick press/muscle movement habit at all so i don't think i will end up using it more than Z.

Sieghart

Smash Apprentice
I use Y-Y-Z for DJC with Ness, M2, and Yoshi. If the problem is that you're too high off the ground you just need to press 'em faster. There's not really any special trick for getting them close to the ground. I personally use Z for DJC aerials in general and it isn't hard to get used to at all. Sad to say I don't have equipment to do a proper hand cam.

EmptyNess

Smash Cadet
I use X-X-A and hold my thumb in the gully between them, allowing me to flick them back and forth quickly, short hop, etc.

I'm also having trouble with this. I can press buttons prettyyyy fast but sometimes when trying to get that djc bair out as fast as possible my hands kind of "seize up." I think it's just the timing that trips me out, like I'm trying to press the buttons too fast and just get kind of stuck. Anyone know what I'm talking about here? Any tips?

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
I mess around with Yoshi and Ness a lot since I find their DJC properties fun and under-explored.

It just sounds like you are messing up on timing. For really low to the ground Bairs like Hbox does it's easiest to use TJ > Y (while rolling analog stick to back to prep for Bair) > Back + A all done within ~ 12 frames. For an air-dance type Bair (moving one way then changing direction mid-air with DJ) it's easiest to use Y > Y > Back+A....the time between when you DJ with Y and input the Bair is crucial to your trajectory (also important if you Fastfall or not = microspacing)

One of my favorite technical things to do is DJC Bair through an opponent (unpunishable on shield usually since you wind up behind them and far away)

I had to use the Y - angled Analog stick DJ - C Stick method to get the most distance and maintain air speed.

Really the motions are -

Start dashing
Jump using Y
Angled analog stick DJ in the direction I was dashing (moving right thumb to C stick during this step)
Immediately hold analog stick forward fully to maintain air speed
Use C Stick to Bair

This allows you time to quickly get to the C Stick while you are using the analog for the 2nd jump, and it easy and reliable facing either direction.

Last edited:
Top Bottom