• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with Mag Up/Fair

ForgottenLabRat

Smash Journeyman
So I have been trying to play Lucas for about a week now have been having some trouble with the Mag Aerial Lucas combo. This is a very big part of his game and I need to figure out how to do this. I have messed around with Lucas in the past so I know stuff like DJC aerials and what not, but I struggle with mag Fair for pressure and mag Upair in combos. Currently I use tap jump to DJ, so my inputs are like this: jump (y) -> down B -> jump(tap jump) ->F/Upair(Cstick)->L cancel (L). Is there a better way of doing this? I am not a huge fan of remapping buttons, but if there is a way doing so consistently then I'm all for it. Thanks in advanced for those who respond!

pipp

Dogfish
NNID
Kirby747
3DS FC
1289-8230-4554
Sounds like all your inputs are correct, but your timing is probably off. After 3.02, you can't cancel magnet as quickly, so you may be doing it too fast. Try experimenting with different timings for your inputs and see what works the best. Magnet F-air is nowhere near as effective as it was before 3.5, so you may be struggling with it simply because it's not as good. As for button re-mappings, I don't think it's necessary, but I like to have R set to jump for easier DJC PKF and for rising aerials, but that's just me.

ForgottenLabRat

Smash Journeyman
thanks for the feed back. I wasn't aware that the change in 3.5 with so big, kinda disappointing. I can get mag fair to work if I do it roughly if not frame perfectly. I'll try slowing down my inputs a tad and see if that helps. It is nice to know that it isn't necessary to remap.

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
tl;dr Simply keep practicing.

==

Your button schematic– in terms of how you're inputting moves, seems just fine to me. Try using debug / training mode and go at a slow pace or frame-by-frame, then try slowly building up from there. This helps to learn the visual cues.

As for the techy explanation, you may know that tap jump has a 4 frame, single jump input, meaning that you can hit up on the analog stick and be able to do a buffered, non-rising DJC. If you miss the resulting aerial afterwards but still jump out of mag, try slowing down the Cstick input. I use Up & A for mag->Uairs at times, so maybe that could help.

The only other suggestion I have is to play Ness for a short while, and only use his magnet to wave mag / perform mag->aerials. The timings are roughly the same and could help you be slightly more accurate. Just a thought

Top Bottom