• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with improving when you have seemed to have reached a cap?

Toodenbelch

Smash Rookie
I've been playing Robin for the entirety of this game being out and I just simply can't improve past the point I have been at forever, basically I'd say for probably a year, year and a half perhaps? I've tried everything, watching mus, replays, using anthers ladder, reading guides, going against amiibo, playing offline, going to tournaments, and none of these have come close to slightly improving my skill level and I'm just stuck. It's gotten really frustrating that nothing has been working for a long time now and it just gets me frustrated every time I get bodied even though I know I've put in a lot of hours into the series/game to the point where I should be seeing results. I just have no idea what I can even possibly do now to try to find some way to improve because clearly none of these have worked. Maybe it's possible that people don't point out flaws that I cannot see therefore I can't fix them? I mean, I've had people tell me issues I had, but I don't know how to fix them really so the advice is practically useless to me. I just have no absolutely no idea what I am doing wrong, if someone could help that would be much appreciated.

Youtube channel with videos of Robin gameplay is ToodenBelchLP, videos are old so I can't assume that I haven't changed a little bit from then, so it might not be accurate.

If someone wishes to help me via playing(A highly doubt it but...) please feel free to send me a message. Thank you!

Last edited:

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
So I've been watching some of your replays (Robin 6-11 to be exact) and I'm going to write a few things that I noticed.

--- Robin Specifics ---

The quickest way to improve further is via your punish game/advantage state. For example, you do a great job at getting grabs (especially at low %!) but rarely do they result in anything meaningful. In those replays you rarely get a checkmate despite how many grabs you get as well. Should you ever get a grab, Arcfire, or Arcthunder (you hardly used Arcthunder!) you need to go full attack and capitalize hard on your opponent's mistakes.

Your Arcfire follow-ups are reasonably good, but you do drop them sometimes. Recognize where they are in the fire and how they escape, and follow up accordingly.

Arcthunder is so good for Robin, but you tend to not use it often. Perhaps you can develop a neutral game with less Arcthunder, but it's such a good move I wonder why you're not using it more often. Additionally, the times you did land one, your follow-ups were very weak. Again, practice follow-ups with it.

Additionally, you didn't pick up tomes/swords often. Recognize when they will drop and pick them up; they're free damage. (They drop 1 or 2 uses after they start blinking, depending on the item) You can also stall their release by spamming down-tilt, and by doing so they will release at short hop height.

--- Some tech skill improvements ---

Despite Robin being slow, you should still put an effort into foxtrotting more often. The burst mobility is enough to throw off your opponent's spacing, and is a much better option than rolling. Eventually, if you really want to take movement to another level, extended dash dancing will make your movement even better than ever.

Additionally, B-reverses are great with Robin, especially B-reverse Nosferatu and Arcthunder. I recommend taking some time to practice them though, flubbing them in a match can be costly. Eventually, you can mix in turnaround specials and even wavebouncing, but personally I haven't even gotten to the wavebouncing part yet so it's not necessary.

I'm going to emphasize picking up items and learning about item play/counter-play. Tomes/Swords are an integral part of Robin's kit and not using them/not using them well is a difference between good and great Robin play. Not to mention that you'll run into players who are good with items themselves, so learning when you drop them is important so you can control them.

TL;DR
- Foxtrots
- Extended Dash Dancing (if you're really into tech skill, not necessary until you're doing well in tournaments)
- B reverses (especially with Nosferatu and Arcthunder, Nosferatu first though)
- Turnaround Specials (tricky if you like tricks)
- Wavebounces (not necessary in my opinion but stylish)
- Item play

--- Final notes ---

I say you should focus on your punish game/advantaged state because it's the most obvious way to win. If another Robin player consistently ends stocks at 100-110% and you're ending them at 130-140%, there's clearly some room to improve.

I'll leave you with this video by Zinoto, made about a week ago. I suggest this because some of your wording sounds very similar to what he is talking about.
And I don't want to seem like I'm better or anything (how to "git gud" is a bit disrespectful) but I want to help.

Last edited:

Im A Robin Main

Smash Rookie
I've been playing Robin for the entirety of this game being out and I just simply can't improve past the point I have been at forever, basically I'd say for probably a year, year and a half perhaps? I've tried everything, watching mus, replays, using anthers ladder, reading guides, going against amiibo, playing offline, going to tournaments, and none of these have come close to slightly improving my skill level and I'm just stuck. It's gotten really frustrating that nothing has been working for a long time now and it just gets me frustrated every time I get bodied even though I know I've put in a lot of hours into the series/game to the point where I should be seeing results. I just have no idea what I can even possibly do now to try to find some way to improve because clearly none of these have worked. Maybe it's possible that people don't point out flaws that I cannot see therefore I can't fix them? I mean, I've had people tell me issues I had, but I don't know how to fix them really so the advice is practically useless to me. I just have no absolutely no idea what I am doing wrong, if someone could help that would be much appreciated.

Youtube channel with videos of Robin gameplay is ToodenBelchLP, videos are old so I can't assume that I haven't changed a little bit from then, so it might not be accurate.

If someone wishes to help me via playing(A highly doubt it but...) please feel free to send me a message. Thank you!
I watched your Robin 12 video and personally I think you should try using elwind not just for recovery, but also for offence. You could use it on the ground to avoid powerful combos and do some extra damage, in the air to throw off your opponent's recovery or in the air against a foe on the ground to throw off their timing and/or cancel any planned attacks they have.

SaikaGaleforce

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0920-3121-7264
honestly, robin is 10% techs, 60% read and 30% being good at your fundamentals. if you feel like you have mastered her techs as well as you want to, your fundamentals or your read might be the issue. work on those things. also, there is alot of merit to trying a different character for a while, then coming back to robin. after some time looking at the game from other angles through different characters, you might find that when you come back to robin you will see something in the way she plays and her strategy that you had not noticed before.

Top Bottom