• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with Getting Better

KaneStaff

Smash Cadet
Hey, everyone! First of all, thanks for checking out this thread.

I've hit a bit of a wall with growing in my Smash skills recently... I've gotten to a point where I can't figure out what to do to improve. Therefore, I'm posting here!

I recently hosted a little tournament and I have a few videos of my gameplay, but I only played Marth twice. If I could get some pointers for improving my play, I would be extremely appreciative.

Here are the videos where I play Marth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzuFV-JQ8x4&index=5&list=PLIna1lXufKktAt0UJdMSsY5_DqxI2fVWy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KfHyHXO0b8&index=2&list=PLIna1lXufKktAt0UJdMSsY5_DqxI2fVWy

Here's all the videos streamed from the tournament: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIna1lXufKktAt0UJdMSsY5_DqxI2fVWy

Any advice on any characters I use or general Smashing skill would be awesome, but I would like to especially focus on my Marth.

Thanks a ton! I really appreciate any advice.

Last edited:

IcefireD

Smash Rookie
From the one match I watched you should to use more of Marth's tilts. His dtilt is quite good in neutral. His utilt can be used to get massive damage if your opponent is on a platform above you. When offstage you can use side b to get more horizontal distance. At one point Zelda was up b-ing back to edge and you did a regular get up, while you should have pressed L or R, so she couldnt grab ledge. This is what I gathered from the first video, which is the only one I watched so you might have done all this in the other videos.

KaneStaff

Smash Cadet
Thanks a ton! Yeah, I don't use dtilt much... I also have problems choosing a ledge option... Any advice on that? I know it's kind-of vague :D

meebius

Smash Apprentice
You never utilized Marth's amazing dash dance, instead you always approached with an aerial and used wavedashing as a method for spacing (which gets very predictable).

KaneStaff

Smash Cadet
That makes sense for the dash dancing and aerials, but I'm not quite sure what you intend for wavedashing. Could you clear up a couple of things for me:

What other uses it would serve?

And how would I space otherwise?

Thanks a bunch for the help!

meebius

Smash Apprentice
The purpose of wavedashing is that it opens up another option for movement. It allows you to use your standing options while moving, otherwise out of a run, you'd only be able to use dash attack and grab. It can also be done out of shield, allowing another safer option rather than rolling. But it gets very predictable if that is your only method of movement, since wavedash only covers a set amount of distance. While it is good, the overuse of it diminishes its value.

Dash Dancing + Wavedash
With the combination of the two it mixes up your approaches making you less predictable and harder to read. Dash dancing allows you to not commit positionally, letting you adjust your position accordingly to your opponent's moves. I always reference this video when someone asks about spacing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfBuAo_Bfvw

APESAUCE

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1865-1741-8331
also use nair more. work on dding, wavelanding. u have a good marth just work on mixups and not relying on fsmash so much.

SaltySmasher

Smash Rookie
NNID
Darksea322
3DS FC
4742-6451-0540
I wouldn't approach with wavedash as much. As meebius said, WDing can become predictable and using it to approach isn't as safe as it looks, as it is a tad laggy.

Top Bottom