• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with Falco?

SyaoranLi

Smash Rookie
I've recently picked up Falco (I main Mario, but now I'm starting to wonder if I should main Falco instead. Forgive me A.R.!) because of a tournament coming up next week. I've been practicing for about a week and I have several of his tech down, I'm just wondering if you guys could give me tips on how to best play Falco and also on a specific combo that I'm having a hard time executing.

NOTICE: I AM USING A 3RD PARTY CONTROLLER. I KNOW THIS IS A SIN IN THE SMASH COMMUNITY BUT THIS WAS PURCHASED A WHILE BACK WHEN I USED IT FOR CASUAL GAMES LIKE FINAL FANTASY CC/ANIMAL CROSSING/HARVEST MOON, ETC... I HAD/STILL HAVE NO WAY OF ACCESSING A 1ST PARTY CONTROLLER AS I AM IN THE PHILIPPINES.

Ok now that that's cleared up. I want to clarify that the melee scene is practically dead here where I am, because most people play Smash 4. But there is a tournament near me in a week called Melee Revival because they're hoping to revive the scene, which means that several people may have just picked up Melee recently. I've had the game and played with Mario and knew techs for a while which gives me an advantage, but because I chose to use Falco for tournament purposes just a week ago, that does set me back a bit which makes the playing field somewhat even in this perspective since some people may also just be learning their characters now. Others might come from overseas and have also played a long time. So if you guys could help give me some Falco tips (don't necessarily redirect me to YouTube vids, I've seen many of those already, if there are threads with specific details on here that would be tremendously helpful)

The combo in question

Shffl dair > shine > wavedash > shffl dair > shine

The combo was suggested by youtube channel SSBM Tutorials on their video "How to combo with Falco (fastfallers)..."

Now the problem I'm having is getting from dair > shine > wavesdash

I can shine > wavedash comfortably but when you add in the dair, the timing really throws me off

I posted the same question on reddit and suggested it might have something to do with my controller being 3rd party (I know, I know controller johns, git gud skrub) or if I really just needed more practice and I genuinely thought it was the controller because I have no idea what the difference is between 3rd party and 1st party controllers and if they affect input delay.

If you guys could give me tips on how to perform that combo up there, that would be amazing.

Also if anybody could get Westballz to give me tips, that would be a god send

Thanks for your time

LBLF,
Syaoran

Pauer

The Pauerful
I HAD/STILL HAVE NO WAY OF ACCESSING A 1ST PARTY CONTROLLER AS I AM IN THE PHILIPPINES.
On ebay.com lots of people sell used/new original gamecube controllers with free/cheap international shipping. You should be able to get one there.

I posted the same question on reddit and suggested it might have something to do with my controller being 3rd party (I know, I know controller johns, git gud skrub) or if I really just needed more practice and I genuinely thought it was the controller because I have no idea what the difference is between 3rd party and 1st party controllers and if they affect input delay.
Pretty sure that third party controllers have no input lag, but the quality is just so much worse all around.

Now the problem I'm having is getting from dair > shine > wavesdash

I can shine > wavedash comfortably but when you add in the dair, the timing really throws me off

Practice dair->shine and shine->wavedash individually and then try combining the sequence to dair->shine->wavedash. If you have troubles combining the two sequences, make sure that the way your hands are positioned/feel the same after the end of the dair->shine sequence as before the shine->wavedash sequence.
It is also very important to note that you should be practicing this on an enemy. That's because hitting the opponent cause hitstun which adds an extra bit of delay. If you have the 20XX Training Hackpack, you can set an enemy to be invincible to practice on. Otherwise, you can set the damage ratio to 0.5, enable handicap and set bowser to a handicap of 9 and a level of 1. That way you have kind of a punching bag.
Also, make sure that you don't only practice rising aerials, as they aren't safe on shield. If you don't want to be grab-/punishable out of shield, you will have to input your aerials at about the same time as the fast-fall or a few frames before that.

Pauer

The Pauerful
S SyaoranLi
I'm very sorry, but I accidentally deleted your two replies by trying to merge them into one. I had an old comment of mine selected and they transferred into that comment and seem to be deleted.
The reason why I merged your two replies is because double posting (posting twice in a row) is frowned upon/not allowed in most forums, including smashboards. If you do want to add some information, just use the edit function.

I do still remember the content of your replies so I'm gonna answer them now.
Whether you are able to get the 20XX Hack pack depends on whether you are using a gamecube or a softmodded Wii.
If you are using a gamecube, you are only able to use the 20XXTE Edition. That is because it can be loaded through a memory card exploit and the 20XX Training Hack Pack can not.
In order to play with the 20XX Training Hack Pack, you need a softmodded wii and need to create the 20XX disc file first to put on your wii. There are lots of good guides on how to do this in the "Guides" section of the first post in the 20XX Training Hack Pack thread, which I linked earlier already. Please try and look at this sort of stuff before asking the same question over and over again.

Apart from that, you do not even need the 20XX hack pack to train l-canceling efficiently, though it does have some great features and I recommend getting it in general. The features that I mentioned for practicing ARE included in the 20XXTE version, which I found out by looking at the 20XXTE website for 2 minutes, something you could have done as well. See the section "20XX Settings" here. "Toggle infinite shields" is what you're looking for. Hitting a shield is the same as hitting an enemy regularly, so this will work just fine.

Regarding not having a credit card, you can connect a paypal account to your bank account (at least in europe) by entering some numbers that paypal includes with a 0,01$ payment to your bank account. That way all you need is a bank account and access to it. You don't even need online access since you can get a bank statement in person. With paypal you can pay at most sites so you should be able to pay for a gamecube controller that way. Apart from that, there are prepaird credit cards that can be bought at certain stores here in Europe, there probably exists something similar for you.

Top Bottom