• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with Falco

KaneStaff

Smash Cadet
Hey, everyone! First of all, thanks for checking out this thread.

I've hit a bit of a wall with growing in my Smash skills recently... I've gotten to a point where I can't figure out what to do to improve. Therefore, I'm posting here!

I recently hosted a little tournament and I have a few videos of my gameplay. If I could get some pointers for improving my play, I would be extremely appreciative.

Here are the videos where I play Falco:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KfHyHXO0b8&index=2&list=PLIna1lXufKktAt0UJdMSsY5_DqxI2fVWy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzuFV-JQ8x4&index=5&list=PLIna1lXufKktAt0UJdMSsY5_DqxI2fVWy

Here's all the videos streamed from the tournament: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIna1lXufKktAt0UJdMSsY5_DqxI2fVWy

Any advice on any characters I use or general Smashing skill would be awesome, but Falco is a boss, so I would like help with him :D

Thanks a ton! I really appreciate any advice.

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Not even 30 sec into the bowser. You need to grab. Shinegrab is super strong. Once you get the grab, F-throw if it puts your opponent offstage. Uthrow puts your opponent in awful position and you can often Nair, Bair, or even shine in some MUs. You can mix up dthrow sometimes if they don't expect it or don't tech it and you get a free shine.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Dashdance a little to feel out your opponent or bait them into an attack (PPMD and Mango are really good at this), use a retreating laser to create space, make sure you waveshine ever time (lets you always follow up with the correct jump direction).
The TL;DR of spacing with space animals is to stay a distance where you can shuffl an aerial. Same thing with lasers, since they both have the same distance.

You seem to be recovering high a lot or not sweet spotting, which this bowser is taking advantage of. Somthing you might want to learn later on is the shortens for phantasm, it is a really strong recovery mixup. Not vital, Mango never does it and his Falco is still great, focus on other things in your mechanics first, I justed wanted to note that it is a strong tool.

The thing about Bowser is that he has very strong defensive options, but low mobility. Be careful about taking him to small stages, especially Wario Ware and Yoshi's. You can totally abuse lasers and the fact that you are faster and just continuously bait out grabs and other punishes, especially on larger stages.

Last edited:

KaneStaff

Smash Cadet
Yeah, the two of us play together a TON, so he knows all my patterns and stuff... He definitely can take advantage of my recovery problems :D

Thank you very much for this advice. It really means a lot!

Lizalfos

Smash Master
I also edited in a few more things into my last post.
Tips for your friend, stop the F-smash cheeze edge guards, lmao.
Edit:
In both videos, you played a different character each game. Not only is having one main (and maybe one secondary for impossible MUs) helpful for practicing, but it is important in tournament that you use knowledge from the previous game to adapt. Changing characters makes this header, you aren't only switching up your opponent. I really suggest that in a competitive setting you stick to your 2 strongest characters only. If Falco isn't your top 2, either train him hard so he will be or leave him behind and save him for friendlies. There is no way to develop and maintain 3 characters at a decently high level.

Last edited:

KaneStaff

Smash Cadet
Wow! Thanks for helping so much :D Yeah, sticking with 2 is a good idea :D I'm pretty much trying to decide between Falco and Captain Falcon right now. I think I'll probably choose Falco in the end because all my friends play Captain Falcon :D He's not unique enough anymore!

Really, I do appreciate everything you've done for me! I noticed a big change in my Falco skills just last night when I tried out your tips!

Top Bottom