• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with dtilt locking

Geese

Smash Cadet
SO I know all about the dtilt lock after a FF bair, however whenever I get the FF bair and go for dtilts, I end up just dash attacking instead of getting the full punish. is there some trick to doing it?

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
You generally just want to be softer on the controls, especially when turning around or d-tilting on a platform. When you land using b-air, you can buffer a walk just by holding towards them during the endlag (it'll probably start a turnaround rather than a straight walk since you have your back to them) since you have to input a run separately after landlag.

You should be able to just hold towards them and then perform the D-tilt when you see the turnaround start, as opposed to landing then inputting for a turnaround and then d-tilting.

IcantWin

Smash Journeyman
Using a GameCube controller the optimal setup for MK would be using tilt stick and either L/R/Z for jump. After you ff your bair hold the opposite direction lightly so you don't run and use the c stick to down tilt to start your lock. Most people will catch on after the first bair lock and either tech it or buffer an aerial to stop your attempt at the lock. If you notice them doing that you can either shield to stop their counter attack or read where they're teching to follow up with a grab or dash attack punish.

Last edited:

RapidRobby

Smash Rookie
NNID
rapidrobby
I've actually had this same issue for quite some time, but switching to tilt stick has greatly remedied it. With that being said, I highly recommend setting your c-stick to "attack" if you want to consistently lock your opponent. It may take a bit of adjustment, but once you have it down FF bair to jab lock is easier than ever. Just FF bair, turn around, and hit down on the c-stick and you'll be jab-locking scrubs like a pro.

Top Bottom