• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with Chain Grab

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
I need help chaingrabbing I always fail around 40%-50% plus I kind of can't tell when to shield between Grabs and sorry if their already was a Chain Grabbing Thread!

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
You don't ever need to shield between grabs, unless you're talking about shield buffering on P Bthrow > N Dthrow.

Freak Ability 6

Smash Rookie
If you use z for the grabs, the shield will come up on its own, or at least it does for me, my favorite combo is b-throw, d-throw, and nana always shields and slides back. It honestly just takes a lot of practice, I used to fail around there as well but eventually I could now get zero to death with minimal fails, but the real test is fighting a human opponent and setting yourself up for the chain grab, the pressure is REAL

Nix

Smash Rookie
The timing kinda changes at higher percents. (Buffering Nana's grab becomes more strict at least that's how I feel)

Dude are you talking about how the shield comes up when pros chaingrab? Are you chaingrabbing slowly? Here's how:

B-throw -> D-throw

Grab. If you have to wait for Nana's grab animation to end before you back throw then you're doing it wrong. Just HOLD the Z button (Popo will grab, Nana will SHIELD and slide slightly forward depending on momentum)

You'd want to wait for Nana to stop sliding before you to a back throw then almost at the same time press Z to buffer Nana's regrab. It just takes practice, but it's good to know the step-by-step process. :) Hope this helps.

JB IV

Smash Cadet
For clarification, any button set to grab (I use X) can be used to shield buffer by simply holding that button.

For P Bthrow > N Dthrow you'd want to shield buffer with Nana after N Dthrow > P regrab. When you regrab with Popo, hold whatever button you used to grab (presumably Z) until Nana's shield comes up. Then release that button and continue the chaingrab. The best way to practice this is in training mode. In less than 5 minutes, you should be able to shield buffer nearly 100% of the time.

Depending on the character, 40-50% is about the range when you cannot Dthrow solo chaingrab someone. That means that you'll need to be more precise in your regrab timing since your window to regrab off of Dthrow is smaller than it was at 0. To improve consistency, I recommend buffering N Dthrow so that the timing of P regrab will only vary on timing based upon character weight. Training mode is your friend (and don't forget to practice CG timings on ZZS since she's the only character who cannot be selected by Random).

Top Bottom