• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help Upthrowing Fox onto Platform at 0%

Regent

Smash Rookie
Okay, so I read Kadano's post on how to uair to cover spacies falling onto platforms. But it doesn't seem to address uthrowing spacies onto platforms at super low percents, unless I missed something.

Suppose I'm looking to up throw a fox onto a platform at 0%. By the time I'm actionable after my throw, the fox has landed already so I don't have time to match the jump timing in Kadano's post. More often than not, by the time my uair is coming out he's completed a tech and is shielding already. That said, what do I do? I've considered these options, but I don't know if they make sense:
1) Jump to where i think he'll tech as soon as possible, and then uair as he's teching
2) Hard read his tech, walk, and toss an u-tilt there
3) Waveland onto platform into regrab?

Any advice would help a bunch.

Sycorax

Smash Ace
1) Jump to where i think he'll tech as soon as possible, and then uair as he's teching
2) Hard read his tech, walk, and toss an u-tilt there
3) Waveland onto platform into regrab?
You've pretty much got it figured out.

ridemyboat

Smash Apprentice
3 is too slow at, 2 you don't need a hard read, you can position yourself and react to the tech if they go your way, same as 1.

From my understanding, up throw doesn't have great followups at this percent, since they have counterplay to up tilt and up air via double stick di.

The up tilt is harder to di though, so it's still an ok position.

Last edited:

Regent

Smash Rookie
Oh cool, thanks for that. So follow up question then. If up throw doesn't have good followups, are there better alternatives if i grab a spacie under a platform at 0? My gut reaction would be to just throw for stage control and reset to neutral, but is there a way to push the advantage further. Or do I just have to accept that there's not really all that much going on there.

ridemyboat

Smash Apprentice
Generally, I just always up throw if they can't get to a platform. Even if they can get to a platform, I throw them up there anyway and try uptilt or upair. Almost no one double stick di's, so it's just confirming whether or not they know how. I think NMW may be the only person that has actually double stick di'd against me, and he plays Falcon. I just tech chased him at low percents, and would do the same thing to fox.

The thing is, you can still cover tech in place super easily with up tilt or upair. They can't double stick di that, right? And if they roll, then you can still do an fsmash or up tilt if they mess up.

Last edited:

thf24

Smash Cadet
Unless you know they can't reach a platform, I would fthrow or dthrow tech chase to at least 20-30% before attempting to uthrow. The earliest double stick DI stops working is close to 30% and up to 50% depending on where you make contact. Any good player shouldn't have a problem doing this and can actually punish you if they land near the edge of the platform, meaning waveland regrab is your only option until at least 30%, and that's only going to work against a good player one or two times, if at all. If you tech chase them until the point they have to start worrying about utilt, you've now got a mixup when you uthrow onto a platform.

Last edited:

CanBeatAnyFaux

Smash Cadet
Since f-throw doesn't knock down until 9-10% you can do a f-throw regrab if you're fast enough with the jc grab and they don't react to shine/dash back. It's a pretty good mixup from 0% and can move you from under a platform or towards the ledge. You can do it twice before knockdown at 0% so if you think you can get both go for it.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
F-throw regrab can be a thing if you're fast and recognize the improper DI from the fast fallers. You can also uthrow to platform at low percent and do a SH nair, which should knock them off the platform into another grab.

CarrierPig

Smash Rookie
Don't forget about simply down throwing immediate and punishing the missed tech. I think it'll stop working at a certain level but on many foxes you can outright read it and f-smash and it tippers sometimes. Can be a great cheesy setup for a quick kill. And if you don't want to hard commit or think they might get the tech you can react and just d-tilt the missed tech. In the corner you can also read the tech roll in and walk a little to center stage and forward smash M2K does this a lot and it'll set up edge guards at low percent.

Top Bottom