• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help Surviving Sheik's D-Throw to Up-Air

SableGuy

Smash Rookie
I find myself getting killed a lot due to down throw to up air from sheiks, and as much as I try to DI out of it, the up-air seems to always still hit, and if I DI forward, I get faired instead. I feel like I'm simply doing it wrong though, can anyone help me out?

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
Getting f-aired as puff by sheik is often a much weaker punish than upair. Especially at early percents, you can di up after di'ing forward out of down throw to avoid that awkward f-air angle.

Gravegawd

Smash Rookie
http://ikneedata.com/calculator?ver...v=65.4,65.4&2w=65.4&2x=65.4&2y=00000&2z=0,0,0

You can reasonably live up to 96% as puff if you DI the back throw and up air correctly. This however, is also based on the positioning of the stage, and leaves out SDI. Mixing these things up can cause the sheik to choose weaker kill options, but they also may be looking for these options, based on pummels to get you above these percents. Look to see if they can back throw up air at lower percents, say ~20%. If they can hit these, they can easily hit them at kill percents (they have about 14 frames from d throw to up air). If not they will have to choose between a nair if you don't SDI away to a bair. SDI can also make this bair not sweet spot. Play with your opponents decisions. Or alternatively, don't get grabbed, crouch that **** and rest them.

SableGuy

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the help both of you! Also, covering what you said iAmMatt, not DIing the fair up is probably the reason why its been so bad for me, I totally never took that into account. I'll try and implement that into my play, thanks!

Trezz

Smash Cadet
Sheik's d-throw->fair is guaranteed on Puff at around 100% and above I'm pretty sure too, so don't feel bad about dying to it there at that point. Easier said than done, but you're better off just not getting grabbed in the first place, since Sheik is just good at getting followups from her grabs no matter how you DI.

Like Gravegawd said, crouch more against Sheik since she can't grab you at all (dash grab, standing grab, jc grab all miss) and you can punish with rest. Condition Sheik into not wanting to grab as much and you'll have a much easier time fighting her.

Top Bottom