• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Help] Snake vs Sonic

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
I have trouble facing off the blue hedgehog. He can break my setups and he is too fast (no pun intended) for me to approach. What is a good way to approach/force an approach? What are his weaknesses? What are his strengths. Please and thank you :)

cisyphus

Smash Ace
I honestly need help with this myself. Solharath is a PR Michigan player that mains Sonic and every time I square off with Snake I get absolutely bopped. My Sheik, however, takes him to last stock.

Oh lawl this is in Sonic boards. Forgot I followed this forum.

To expand on this a bit: Major problems Snake seems to have is his combo weight: Sonic gets guaranteed followups on grabs at basically any percent. Recovery is nasty when Sonic has both meteors and spikes to abuse, and his recovery is far longer than most making these threats more real. One thing Sol's told me is that Snake's tech rolls are extremely long and that they are rather difficult to follow up on, but that may just be inexperience doing its work (this was after one of our early sets).

Last edited:

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
Can his specials (the ones that make him spin) be interrupted by snakes tilts/jabs? Shielding is usually what my friend (mains Sonic) wants me to do. This matchup I use alot of grenades just to keep him from touching me lol

GabPR

Smash Lord
Its pretty funny because the Snake matchup is one I myself find tedious for Sonic. Snakes main objective is to limit Sonics movement, and more importantly DO NOT APPROACH!. A Sonic's most preferable scenerio are those of opponents that like to approach a lot, and since Sonic is so good with punishing mistakes and getting good punishes then the risks might not be worth it. Instead you want to make use of your defensive options. Probably one of the most effective options is up b oos, since its fast and can get a sticky on. nading and shielding is good vs sonics that carelesly use spins to approach, and dash attack can get a hit on a Sonic that is dash dancing a bit too close. Dacus is also pretty good to catch players off guard and get them setups (but careful on not using too often). If you notice a Sonic is very grab happy, Dacus and dash attack become more effective in making sonic go on the defensive. As for recovery you may want to nade as soon as the sonic is about to land a hit on you and always be ready to tech the walls. Dont be afraid to use Snakes other normales for walling out Sonic as well, like dtilt, nair and bair. Thats all I have for now.

Edit- forgot to mention that tranq beats out all of sonics specials, and basically makes him slide towards you asleep for a free follow up

Last edited:

cisyphus

Smash Ace
Tedious is a good word for it probably. I don't know that it's disadvantageous for Sonic, but it's certainly annoying to have to choose your approaches so carefully.

Top Bottom