• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help on Up-throw/Up-air

Dorizzle

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4227-2265-7992
Hey guys. I've been playing fox for a while now ( almost close to a year) so I have knowledge on fox's moves, combos, etc. I'm pretty consistent with my tech and just as of recently I realized that something I was forgetting to implement in my arsenal was up throw to up air. (I know its pretty basic and I do it sometimes, although I never really focused on it) Not too long ago, I was practicing my tech when I decided to work on it and I kept getting stuck and up smashing. Normally at some point, I would naturally be able to fix it but I kept getting stuck or when I did manage to jump it would be too late to land the up air. I know character weight also has to do with this combo but how can I fix this and being able to be consistently land the hits? I'm also not sure if I have the right percentages correctly so that might be an issue because I want to make sure that when I do up throw up air, I get it at the most early percentage as possible.

Chuckles

Smash Apprentice
The easiest way is to upthrow someone onto a platfrom at 0 basically and if they miss the tech -> u-air on reaction. If they tech -> Up air. It they roll -> up-Air. You just have to wait in some cases to get the reaction.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
Not for actual matches, but just to get comfortable with the timing you can uthrow hold shield and c-stick up.

You generally want to be displaced horizontally halfway between your starting point and opponent or closer (closer when they're higher up) if they go to the side.

You generally want to uair early during the rise, but not on the first airborne frame.

Double jump for higher percents/against puff (immediate DJ at lower percents). At lower percents on other spacies, short hop the uair.

Try to avoid using it at 0 vs Sheik (you can get uthrow->2 utilts then dd or bair), try to avoid using in general if you can't come from right below Zelda.

Ness-ICs weight range will result in a lot of not true combo uthrow uair that barely works, but if done right (as in, like, perfectly) they don't escape, with the exception of Peach and Sheik, who aren't too hard to get a true combo uthrow uair on.

Ganondorf won't get true combo uthrow uaired until over 100%.

You can try to do is to catch a double jump by overshooting the jump a little, and if you come in from the side with the second hit you can catch most characters it isn't a true combo on with little they can do about it. Chances are, if you're doing it this way, you'd actually start falling after they'd normally start falling, so aim well, fastfall as soon as you can either to follow up or punish if they get an air dodge out (also, try to return your horizontal airspeed after it would connect to near 0 in either direction).

Jay-R

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sickboy1198
3DS FC
3969-5537-6136
LOL MY FOX IS LEGIT, GIT GUD KID

Y-L

Smash Champion
U throw onto platform -> uair which covers no tech/tech in place and if they tech directionally react and punish is really a BnB that you should have. Pretty much the best option at low percents below platforms on most of the cast. At higher percents/not under platforms, uthrow uair is good for racking up damage or killing at mid+ percent (pretty much works till like 200 on most chars lol). Typically, if you can bair instead of uair I usually opt for that since you can still get a followup and most higher level players will SDI the uair and get out of it.

As for landing it, just practice pretty much. It does depend on weight like you said, for example you can jump almost instantly out of the throw on puff but if you throw ganondorf you have to wait a considerable amount of time. When I uthrow uair I actually tap jump the first jump and press y for the second jump if needed. Works pretty well for me and allows me to act quickly. Obviously if you're usmashing instead then you're just hitting A too early.

c/c++

Smash Rookie
How do I up throw up air puff if she has a DI to the side? When there is no DI I just use y to jump, push up on the analog stick for a second jump, then up on the c stick for the aerial. This doesn't work when she DIs to the side though.

Maza Nomains

Smash Rookie
How do I up throw up air puff if she has a DI to the side? When there is no DI I just use y to jump, push up on the analog stick for a second jump, then up on the c stick for the aerial. This doesn't work when she DIs to the side though.
You have to dash before you jump, if they DI all the way to the side, tap-jumping will probably be a liability, I'd just try to get good at DJing with x/y and getting your thumb to the c-stick really fast.

Top Bottom