• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help my R.O.B (vids included)

Animage

Smash Cadet
Any type of advice at all is greatly appreciated. I'd also like to know his best and worst stages/matchups if anyone can shed some light

Baky

Smash Journeyman
I'm not big on critiques, I know their are better players here like @ DrinkingFood DrinkingFood who have more insight.
I can write something up another day but I just wanted to comment first and let you know that I enjoyed the matches.

You're a very solid player and it seemed like 9/10 (probably more like 5/10) you choose the right option. Keep repping our character, yo!

Last edited:

Animage

Smash Cadet
Haha, thanks. Though it only seems that way because I haven't recorded the footage of me getting wrecked really hard by various players

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Sorry to burst the bubble but that was not very solid ROB play at all. The opponents just seemed to be very bad but you threw away enough stocks for them to win. But even disregarding the SDs there were very few "right" choices made and was much closer to 9/10 times making the wrong choice than to 9/10 times making the right choice. There's no way to sugarcoat it and that won't help you so I'm not going to sugar coat it.

1- Stages.
I know these were friendlies so you probs just hit random. But you asked so here's my take.
You want to avoid stages with platforms. Because of ROB's airdashes, he doesn't need platforms to move around quickly above the ground floor of the stage, he can naturally do that. This is a huge advantage of aerial positioning he has over most of the cast, but it goes to waste on any stage where the opponent has platforms to do the same thing against you with. I always go FD given the chance. Wide stages are also good because they give you room to camp the opponent, but there are a few characters who outcamp you in general so do not use this as a rule of thumb. Large boundaries are a plus too, but ROB's recovery only goes far, but it is susceptible to gimping, so against characters with less gimp-vulnarable recoveries and better edgeguaring option coverage than you (DDD comes to mind especially), this will hurt you; again, not a rule of thumb. The best rule of thumb to follow is less platforms or high platforms are better. Because dthrow is so essential to dealing damage and finishing opponents off as ROB, you should aim for grabs as much as possible. About half the cast has a percentage where dthrow->grounded up-b->uair is a gauranteed kill on them. Space animals and falcon can be chaingrabbed all to about 100% without DI, more WITH DI, and it leads directly into a kill move in DACUS, or running/pivot fsmash to send them offstage of kill. a few other semi-fast fallers can be chaingrabbed to about 20-35% depending on the character, and still others can get dthrow->fair->regrabbed at low percents or even dthrow->reverse bair->regrabbed for guaranteed damage. BUT the reason I say all this is because platforms get in the way of a huuuuge percent of this. In general, if I cannot pick FD, I will pick GHZ, or smashville, both of which have platforms which move around and can be compensated for by delaying throws/follow-ups or which are high enough that they take longer to interrupt dthrow shenanigans. Dreamland is also nice because the platforms are very high making them less disruptive to you and slower for other characters to use, but be wary of characters I noted above who can outcamp you and/or run away using the top platform or who far outclass you in recovery/edgeguarding ability. FoD is probably ROB's worst stage or one of his worst stages, given how the plaforms are often placed to disrupt CGs and ROB's lack of quick overhead coverage in front of him means he has a hard time dealing with opponents on those platforms.

2- Gyro.
I don't think I saw you actually shoot a single gyro. Gyro is your best source of stage control, whether it is static on the ground or in your hand. On the ground it forces opponents to either approach over it or pick it up, both of which are actions punishable because they are commitments at neutral.
If you don't have it out, find a way to get it out. It's best to remain mobile while doing so because the whole sequence of getting it out takes about 40 frames minimum. If the opponent is far enough away or too slow to get under you, approaching with a gyro shot is safe as it will take up space while moving you forward and leaving a static hitbox in it's wake. If they are close, retreating SH gyro works too but it is much easier for them to get a hold of it if you do that, which is not what you want. FH gyro shots can lead directly into grabbing the gyro or AGTing it before landing, called gyro jumping. 1UP has a video about it somewhere around here. You can also DJ from the ledge and shoot one out and regrab the ledge in one go.
If you leave it on the ground and stay near it, you have the option to throw out tilts and jabs and lasers and retreating aerials near it, protecting it from getting grabbed and letting it protect you from being punished for walling them out and chipping at them with your laser. Leaving it on platforms is also situationally useful, ESPECIALLY against characters that use SHs to approach, like falcon, because they can run into it from below if they SHFFL at you while the gyro is there. The grounded gyro can also be great at eating projectiles because it has a hurtbox, for example it eats grounded needles from sheik which prevents her from needle camping you, while you fire lasers back at her.
If you pick it up, glide tossing lets you have a fantastic grounded movement option that also puts out a quick moving projectile across most or all the stage, a way to cross up shields quickly while grounded, a way to harass opponents above you, a tool to cause knockdowns which can lead into your coveted grab->dthrow if they happened to be near a ledge where their rolling options are limited, an edgeguarding tool for option coverage, a great out of shield option, I could go on and on. That's just your GROUNDED uses of gyro. Because ROB can't item throw directly out of his boosts, he can also still use aerials while holding a gyro. He can also item throw out of his boosts by AGTing out of them after frame 20, which means that gyro lets you be MUCH less committal and yet more offensive while boosting around with one in hand. You really really need to learn how to handle your gyro. I almost always put out and pick up a gyro inbetween stocks. Glide tossing's fast movement lets you get away from the invincible opponent, and when the gyro bounces off the invincible opponent, it can still hit them a second time once they become vulnerable again, enabling you to grab them. Once they get used to this fact, they start seeing the end of the invulnerability as being still vulnerable because you have so much leeway in controlling where they can be at the end of their invincibility by simply bouncing a gyro off them.
Also important to note, gyro throw hits always send the in the direction you were facing when you throw the gyro. Even if they get hit by the back end of the hitbox, they still travel that you were facing when it was thrown. This is unlike other projectiles which change knockback directions based on what side of the projectile the opponent is on. This can be used to your advantage since it makes following up hit-confirms much easier and lets you be more precise using upward and downward throws to control opponents above you or on the stage near you.
Gyro is also great for covering recovery options if you don't already have it out. Shooting out with good timing outright prevents low recoveries, after which you can boost out/jump out into an aerial, or just laser to edgeguard. Spacies are just better to laser when offstage tho, if you start the laser with good timing you can aim as soon as you see them DJ, and if they try to wait out the laser they will end up too low and have to use up-b to recover which is a free edgeguard with fair.

3- Punish game.
I saw you go a lot of time with very sub-optimal combo/punishment choices. The biggest offender was not going for a grab off boost fairs, especially since they weren't CCing it at all.
I already mentioned how good dthrow was. There's almost never a time when you should go for anything but a grab if you can land it. Chain grabs on super fast fallers leading to death, guaranteed follow-ups on almost everyone else that can kill or lead to offstage positioning. And then you have bthrow and fthrow which are quick and hard to DI if you do them instantly off the grab, which is deadly on fast fallers near the edge. So basically, ROB's punish game should be retitled- "How to land a grab." Well, a few ways-
fast fallers- bad DI on dsmash (need more crouch cancel), bad DI on boost nair/SH nair autocancel/falling nair, no CC and no knockdown on boost fair of falling fair. no CC and no knockdown from downward thrown gyro glide toss.
Most others that aren't floaty- boost fair or falling fair if they don't CC, upair them if they are above you then DD around their aerial combo breaking option until they land then grab.
Floaties- Not sure if I've noticed any specific ways to land grabs here other than traditional DDing or reads. I'd bet glide tosses downward could do it at low percent.
In general- Conditioning the opponent can work well. ROB can cover tech chases 3/4 options on knockdown with a dsmash, usually the only option he can't cover with that is tech away. But he often can cover that option if he fully commits to a read, so conditioning them to roll away can help you land a read into a grab later into games. Another way to condition into grabbing is with boost-fair shield pressure. Boost fair is -3 on shield performed frame perfectly when fresh, with a frame perfect jab follow-up he can beat the opponent if they attempt, even frame perfectly, to grab you afterwards. The first jab is also safe if followed-up with the second. Granted, this all assumes frame perfection, but it is much easier to be consistent when you are on offense than on defense. Practice and you will rarely fail. But anyways, conditioning your opponent into waiting for not one, but two jabs, can help you late game. Because it all happens very quickly, there is no time to react on the opponents part. If they are used to shielding the full two jabs, you can later on skip the jabs altogether and go straight into a grab from the boost->fair because they will be shielding waiting for the jabs. Another way to condition is against opponents on platforms. Teach them how dangerous your upair is to them if they are up there, and they will always shield. You can abuse this late game by instead wavelanding onto the platform and grabbing since they will be shielding in anticipation of the up-air.
Fair strings and up-air straings are the next most important parts of your punish game. Especially important on floaties or semi-floaties/average fallers. If they don't DI or DI for survival, fair will character most characters across the stage, offstage to near the boundary where you can finish with an up-b upair. If you get them above you, SH upair has huge disjointedness and can do 6-21 damage depending on spacing, although getting the second hit is best for juggles because it has the highest launch angle allowing more juggling. But upair can lead into itself multiple times unless they DI well, which often will put them offstage or in reach for a fair or both.

4- Crouch canceling.
I didn't see you use enough of this, especially against fox and his nairs. You can get huge punishes off this.
Your dtilt, your dsmash, and your upsmash launcher hitbox all hit frame 5. CC and use this stuff against approaching opponents. Most characters have better reach quick on their weak attacks or their attacks that lose to CC. If you stay outside the reach of their options that beat CC, but within the reach of their options that lose to CC, you can bait them into approaching into dsmash. This is especially nice against foxes who want to approach with nair, and if he DI's the dsmash wrong or not at all you get a grab. This applies also to other spacies. Falco is hard to CC against tho because CC still loses to lasers and lots of falcos approach with dair which beats CC. Other characters will need a follow-up with up-air/fair but that's okay because that's great for your punishes as well. Teach your opponent that they will HAVE to approach by laser/gyro camping, and scoring CC dsmashes for damage racking, dtilts for positioning or usmashes for kill will be much easier.

5- Camping.
I saw you approaching quite often when you didn't need to or even shouldn't have. Boost->fair loses to CC at early percents, so if you want to approach, you need to get them high enough that it will knock them down if they do. Like I said, your oppoents were bad and did not seem to utilise this enough.
Gyro > laser most of the time. More knockback, covers more space, you can move while throwing it, causes knockdown at low-mid percents and can push opponents into bad positions offstage. Also gyro can bounce off their shield or them if they are hit, and you can SH to it, and AGT downward with an fthrow to hit them again very quickly. Gyro fthrow is also very safe on shield even if they are close to you, if you hit them before it bounces it has 12 frames of shieldstun (including hitlag which doesn't affect you since it's a projectile), so if you hit them the first frame of the throw they are stunned until frame 19 of the throw and you can act frame 21, meaning they can't grab you even if by some miracle they are still close to you. The further away the more advantage the gyro has on shield because it takes time to get there which means you have more time for the throw to end. Bthrow takes longer to throw the gyro but has the same total duration so it is two frames safer on shield than fthrow is. Dthrow is also safe because it throws a frame earlier than fthrow and ends two frames earlier, but dthrow isn't that great for camping so eh, it's better close quarters. Laser is good for inbetween gyro throws or if you miss and can't get a gyro out instantly. If the gyro bounces off their shield when they are too far away for you to grab the gyro on the rebound, you can aim a laser high enough to hit their head and it will also cover a jump OoS long enough for the gyro to disappear so they can't grab it. If the gyro disappears, get another out unless they get close. If they grab it, bum rush them because their options just got a whole lot more limited, although this depends on character.

6- Approaching.
I saw you approach a lot, and ROB has good approaches, but they mostly lose to CC at early percents. In these matches it didn't cost you because your opponents didn't seem to CC much but this is still something to work on. I also saw you had an issue getting baited into missing against dash dances. Stop aiming at where they are and aim to hit behind them, as in, aim your boost->fair or boost->nair past them. They will try to dash dance away but will instead run straight into your attack be it nair, fair, or whatevair.
Camp them first. Find out when boost-fair knocks down, and when glide toss knocks down. These percents vary by character so memorize them for important matchups and be able to approximate based on their weight if you don't already know the number. Once these moves knock down, the best defensive option your opponent has is shield, because they get knocked down or send flying offstage at a bad angle if they try to CC. Like i mentioned earlier, ROB can do pretty well against shields, especially if you employ conditioning.
If you really must be aggressive at low percents, nair is your best bet. Jump high, like about full hop height, and boost->nair. It does shield damage and 16 damage out of a boost and beats CC at low percents. It's completely safe if you cross-up their shield, if you hit, and it covers a LOT of space so it's hard to out dash dance. Boost->nair is also a kill move one of your most reliable ones. It can kill floaties and semi-floaties around 120, and crossing them up and confuse DI for even earlier kills. Even if that doesn't kill them they will be above ou at the mercy of your upairs or even an up-b->nair.

I think that's all I got for now, this probably took like an hour to type. Too bad I can't put this kind of effort into school lol. Good luck getting better. If you want video examples of this stuff for clarification just ask for what you need and I'll try to find something from my recorded sets if I can.

Last edited:

Baky

Smash Journeyman
Nice read. Yeah, perhaps I was a bit too generous... I went back and watched and saw a little too much aggression and too many predictable boosts, as well as, random boosts n-airs that weren't spaced well, (actually I'm not sure where he was aiming with them? Maybe it was a general deterrence).

Regardless, you got a good mind for this stuff. Didn't have to be abrasive with your intro though,(I guess I invited it :p)... but we all have our individually unique ways of communicating.

Btw - We should play friendlies on netplay sometime.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
As much as I would love to I don't have access to netplay for a little while. But when I do I will def let you know, being from Utah you're not so far away and I don't get a lot of chances to play other ROBs.

Animage

Smash Cadet
Dude you could make a whole thread with all that text
My weekly's happening tonight so I'll try out most of the stuff you mentioned
Also do you have a youtube channel or any place where you have videos already uploaded?
I wanna see a good rob player but I've already seen most of jcaesar's matches
And thanks a lot btw, this was just what I needed

Last edited:

ShadowShlong

Smash Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/user/lafayettesmash
Has the most recent vids of a few events i've been to lately. One of the best was me vs Lee, also me vs JNig/JSalt, other top PM players in my state.
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDrinkingFood
Has some older vids of me which are still pretty good, and are against better players, such as some of TX best.
Your gyro handling in the M2 match with lee was pretty awesome. I definitely made some mental notes of your movement with boosters and nair too, that got you at least 2 surprise kills

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Getting kills with boost nair feels like it is more of a "gimmick" that will lose efficacy as time progresses and players get more used to ROB. The real purpose of it is to damage the shield and safely cross up while threatening with a deadly lingering hitbox. After 2-3 of those you can really wear down people's shields, which you can take advantage of in multiple ways.

Last edited:

ShadowShlong

Smash Cadet
Getting kills with boost nair feels like it is more of a "gimmick" that will lose efficacy as time progresses and players get more used to ROB. The real purpose of it is to damage the shield and safely cross up while threatening with a deadly lingering hitbox. After 2-3 of those you can really wear down people's shields, which you can take advantage of in multiple ways.
Yea ROB as a whole i feel is very gimmicky, and when i'm deciding who to play as in a tournament even though ROB's been my main for the longest i always feel not confident cause it's ROB.

Top Bottom