• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help Me Improve

Dedgehog

Smash Rookie
I'm trying to get better, but I need some help with what I should work on. Here's a link to a couple of netplay matches I had. If you're willing please watch it and give me some feedback to improve. I'm the Falco.

Yackattack12

Smash Rookie
More mixups. More lasers. Approach faster. Don't give the yoshi so much time to sit and watch what you are gonna do. As falcos you need to be your appOnents face the whole time. You need to overwhelm them. Keep working on tech schill too. Keep practicing!

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
Your movement is pretty choppy. Not sure if it is lag from Netplay but that doesn't seem the case for the Yoshi. Mainly in the first match after you did an attack, you would not move or just walk slowly when the Yoshi is flying around. Just practice simple movement on most or all stages to be more comfortable moving around and how you would move when the opponent is doing something. I noticed that your main ledge option was to immediately jump then D-air which was always punished, so you need to have more mixups on that, as well as your recovery.

Your DI isn't too great, in the first game at (1:20) I think you tried to DI down towards the stage and tech but messed up the timing and air dodged to your death instead. You are good at waveshines and L-canceling but you seem to mess up wavelands and wavedashes a number of times which isn't too important but are still handy as a Falco player I assume. Another thing that was obvious is that you seem to have trouble following up. Sometimes you would land a shine and jump but then you would throw some aerial like F-air and not be able to do anything afterwards.

On a stream from Westballz, he talked about the reason he doesn't laser too much is because Falco gets punished hard for laser camping. When he does laser, he is eithet stuffing far away approaches and recovrries. Other than that, he mainly uses shine, things like D-air and B-air with overwhelming pressure and edge guarding tactics. You on the other hand seem to laser just for the sake of damage. Practice your laser-game and approach options, you seemed to mainly use D-air and F-air to approach or try to stuff the Yoshi's approach which wasn't very handy.

Pretty much, your movement is not fluent and you miss opportunities that are golden for a Falco player. Not great at approaching or stuffing approaches but you are good at getting out of pressure but you let the Yoshi do whatever he wants.

Last edited:

Dedgehog

Smash Rookie
I appreciate the feedback from both of you, and now that I see what to look for I noticed it myself when I play and watching the videos again. Thanks for the help! Might update soon with another couple matches later after I've work on this.

Jamsu

Smash Rookie
I have been playing for a little less than a year, I don't really have a good understanding of how falco works, and I usually end up getting completely wrecked by people playing melee for the first time on netplay, so you should probably take this advice with a grain of salt.

1. Work on getting back on stage in a safer way. I noticed a small amount of times where you would illusion onto stage at a random place and immediately get punished afterwards (0:34 and 4:32).
  2. There were some times in the first game where you would dash dance or try to make your movement unpredictable in some way, but you stopped doing this quite a bit on FOD and instead went in much more aggressively (lotta running up to yoshi and spamming dair). I would suggest implementing some more wavedashes into your movement. Fast, unpredictable movement is pretty hard with falco though.
  3. You approach with dair a lot (watch FOD game), try and use nair a bit more as I'm pretty sure it is a safer option with less landing lag (therefore in some cases allowing you to start a shine earlier). I've noticed that falcos approaching with dair are sometimes easier to avoid and then punish than falcos approaching with nair.
  4. Using lasers to camp out opponents and force them to approach is a very good option, especially when facing opponents like yoshi.
  5. I also noticed that whenever you hit yoshi upwards, you usually missed hitting him while he was coming down because yoshi was still higher than you. Because of this, I would suggest trying to wait more in a situation like this, and go for the attack when you know you're able to match your enemy's current height.

Last edited:
Top Bottom