• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help learning Fox Cancels

Kobisky

Smash Rookie
Hey all,

Recently I've decided to take a more competitive approach to my favorite fighting games such as melee and smash 4.

For right now I'm trying to optomize my fox in smash 4 but I can't seem to find anything on available auto-cancels or possible l-cancels with him.

Anybody have any advice or links to share that I could use to get started on this?
Anything would be appreciated,
Thanls

seoh

Smash Cadet
L cancels don't exist in smash 4.

Nair - rising fh. generally not laggy so its a good sh approach and oos option
fair- rising FH. AC onto BF/DL platforms.
uair- rising SH. you have to buffer it in jump squat, requires claw grip, double stick (tap jump) or a shoulder button set to jump. ac in a FHFF
bair- ac SHFF, FHFF. if you don't fast fall and use it too high, it lags a lot in the air, not allowing you other options in air.
dair- ac on rising FH. if timed correctly you wont land on platforms with lag.

its not always necessary to get the AC version. this is especially true of nair, and dair on kill confirms. you have to actually try to not AC bair.

Last edited:

YoungFox

Smash Rookie
L cancels don't exist in smash 4.

Nair - rising fh. generally not laggy so its a good sh approach and oos option
fair- rising FH. AC onto BF/DL platforms.
uair- rising SH. you have to buffer it in jump squat, requires claw grip, double stick (tap jump) or a shoulder button set to jump. ac in a FHFF
bair- ac SHFF, FHFF. if you don't fast fall and use it too high, it lags a lot in the air, not allowing you other options in air.
dair- ac on rising FH. if timed correctly you wont land on platforms with lag.

its not always necessary to get the AC version. this is especially true of nair, and dair on kill confirms. you have to actually try to not AC bair.
I ac my Uairs on a 3DS (all I have) and it's extremely useful for extending combos and pressuring from below. But holy crap is it difficult to perform on a 3DS, can't do it 100% consistently yet.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Don't try playing competitively on a 3DS.

D-air can also cancel itself if you hit the opponent (not their shield) with the last hitbox right before landing on the ground. This is called a Frame Cancelled D-air. It was originally discovered by Izaw with Falco, but it works with Fox too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spHWz-9F7cQ

It's considerably easier to set up with Fox, since he falls faster and his D-air has multiple hits to keep the opponent in place before the final hit.

IIRC, I think it also works with C. Falcon's F-air, I've seen some players use it as a way to link to a sweetspot knee.

Last edited:

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
Don't try playing competitively on a 3DS.

D-air can also cancel itself if you hit the opponent (not their shield) with the last hitbox right before landing on the ground. This is called a Frame Cancelled D-air. It was originally discovered by Izaw with Falco, but it works with Fox too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spHWz-9F7cQ

It's considerably easier to set up with Fox, since he falls faster and his D-air has multiple hits to keep the opponent in place before the final hit.

IIRC, I think it also works with C. Falcon's F-air, I've seen some players use it as a way to link to a sweetspot knee.
You're talking about 2 different things. A frame cancel (frame synch is what I think was settled on) is when you hit someone with an aerial the same frame you hit the ground, thus getting 4 frames of landing lag.

You're talking about auto cancel dair, where you ONLY hit with the final hit of dair and it pops them up for followups. Significantly easier to do and has much more utility.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=cC3kq16b8kk

On that note, buffered full hop dair ac on bf and dl platforms and can link into uair, fair, dair, or bair depending on what direction they go around mid percents and can sometimes setup a kill.

Top Bottom