• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Help]I'm new to smash, but I really want to play Sonic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicShin

Smash Rookie
Hi, I am a total newbie(ultimate is my first smash game), but I really love Sonic. I know all his moves, but don't really know when to use them(spin charge vs spin dash)
Also, I can't figure out what kind of play style I should adopt as the new Sonic without shield cancel. All the SSB 4 strategy guides talk about shield canceling, which was removed...
Please help!(or tell me a vid/post about ssbu Sonic)

Klonoa

Smash Rookie
Hello and welcome to Super Smash Bros. Ive Mained sonic for almost 10 yrs. Ultimate is still new but maybe I can help you a bit. Sonics bait and punish play style still works in ultimate, just without spin cancel. Staying out of your opponents reach then running in for an attack, spindash or grab still works. Practice all of your tilts from dash! Being able to tilt from dashes as a sonic main is very important as it could lead to combo setups. Spindash is better then spincharge imo. like I said it's still early but I've noticed SDash combos into backair (bair) and upair (uair) while SCharge combos into forwardair (fair). Do not use either one of these against a shield!
If you do see a shield u can quickly release the button, jump, and air dodge backward (provided your opponent isn't to close to you) Sonics biggest problem is still being able to kill, with high startup times on his fsmash and usmash. You'll have to get creative here by mind gaming your opponent. Running up and stopping in front of them for the fsmash is the most common setup for example...that and SD >bair. Smash is fast but not that strong. Its best used as a GTFO attack or a kill move on the edge of the stage. Sonic takes a alot of practice to master but can be one of the most satisfying characters to play if played properly. But the most important rule of all is to have fun! Hope this helps

SonicShin

Smash Rookie
Thank you so much! I'll take a look at ssb 4 guides and keep on practicing!

Being able to tilt from dashes as a sonic main is very important as it could lead to combo setups.
Is there a special way to dash cancel? or should i just make my stick neutral and start attacking?

drachen

Smash Rookie
I'm still new as well, but I think dash cancelling is quickly pressing down on the stick to cancel the dash then immediately doing whatever attack you wanted.

Aussie1024

"Stow your fear. It's now or never!"
Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
I'd echo what Klonoa said. I have mained Sonic for 10 years and it's still much of the same stuff for him in this game. Mixing up your approaches is key. You don't wanna run in there with him and then try to make something happen out of nothing at the last minute. You'll easily get punished for that. You must have a plan for every approach. His speed is a fantastic asset for sure, but going in there mindlessly is a bad idea. Believe me, I've done it multiple times and it always leads to bad results.

His dash attack is usually a decent approach, but not something you wanna use too often. Mix in spin dashes and charges to close quickly on your opponent. It can be a great combo starter when you use it occasionally (but not too frequently). For the first time, Sonic's Homing Attack is viable. It's such an awesome way to surprise approach by tapping B twice quickly near your opponent. Using that with his speed can catch them off-guard. However, be careful when using it. It is chargeable. Once you press B a first time, Sonic will be in a ball as he rises slightly vertically. When you press B for a second time, Sonic will do the Homing Attack. It can be much stronger in this fashion, but missing will cause Sonic to lag a lot as he hits the ground. It's much better, but be on your guard.

Sonic's aerials are your best friend, especially Nair. It can be a safe approach option if you're close, especially off a short-hop (A+X). Fair can help push your opponent off the stage. Bair has great knock back and KO potential, but has some startup lag. U-air is good for juggling and is good at consecutively hitting. Don't use Dair though. It can make Sonic vulnerable, hit or no hit. I always get in trouble when I use it.

Sonic has a good grab game too. His forward and up throws have good combo potential with his aerials and specials. Back throw has good KO potential at 120-130 damage (maybe a bit less or more than that - not entirely sure). Also, don't be afraid to mix in his tilts. His forward and down tilts are safe options and can get a decent combo started. I'm trying to incorporate them more into my game as Sonic. Only use his up tilt when below a platform. It's not entirely safe to use right next to your opponent.

Best of luck using Sonic! Let the sub know how you are progressing or have any other questions regarding the blue blur. Welcome to Smash!

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Hi SonicShin!

First off, welcome to Smashboards and specifically the Sonic boards ~

Glad to see that this is your first Smash game and are excited about picking up Sonic.

I think what others have said so far is helpful, but just going to note that we can't have every new player making a thread asking for help. Please use the resources provided in this subforum to get started, the game is very new but I promise more thorough threads will be made in time!

In the meantime, the previous Sonic boards doesn't hurt to skim, and also looking through our pinned threads here.

Best of luck, hope you enjoy your time here.

:093:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom