Help for a beginner

Smash_newbie

Smash Rookie
I'm very new to smash and have relatively little video game experience although Im good at a few games. I am trying to pick up smash and I just want to be decent.

But I find it very hard to do the inputs for some of these moves.... specifically any move where I have to use the left stick, the right stick and press A or B or X or Y at essentially the same time...how do you do that? My right thumb is on the right stick so how do I then use it to hit B simultaneously?

Also I've been playing with inkling because one of the games I do play is Splatoon. Is inkling okay for a complete beginner? There are certain moves that I cannot even perform let alone use in a match (generally the ones that have complicated input patterns that have to be done very quickly). I guess that would be the same with any character though.

What's the best mode to play to improve?

Sebas22

Smash Apprentice
Play some regular Smash against low level CPUs, and level them up as you progress or feel more confident in your playstyle. Once you can defeat level 9 CPU with little to no problem, go do some online. I recommend you the Battle Arenas.

Xelrog

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
You don't need to use the right stick for anything. It's completely and totally optional.

Flick the left stick quickly + A button for a smash attack. Move it slowly + A button for a tilt attack. If it's moving at all when you press B (special) or A in the air, you'll get directional specials and aerials, like Inkling's Roller. The right stick can be used to perform smashes or tilts without having to press the A button, depending on how you have it set. I personally don't use it at all. Just the left stick and the buttons. At no point are you expected to use all three at once.

Last edited: