• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help fighting Jigglypuff?

Lanayru3

Smash Rookie
It might sound silly and all, but I usually have a really hard time fighting Jigglypuff, especially the really competent ones. My combos/attacks/grabs don't always connect, and I get gimped off the stage quite often. Any help, please?

Eriol-kun

Smash Rookie
NNID
Eriolkun
3DS FC
0619-3946-4344
Jiggs is kinda tough for me too, but against shorthopping, aggressive Jiggs Falcon Kick can go through a lot of her attacks or clash. Just be really careful because she can also just bait it and jump over it and punish accordingly. Uairs will also probably beat her lackluster drill kick, and I doubt many Jiggs will try staying on the ground, because you have a much better ground game. Nair is also decent at spacing but I feel Jiggs's range is way longer than any poke you can stick out like nair or ftilt tilted upwards.

When off the stage, Jiggs is a beast at gimping you so be really careful, conserve your second jump smartly, Uair that **** if possible, use the stage walls if possible for low recoveries, too. If all looks lost and Jiggs is coming for you, a YESZ! might be able to connect and give you a second chance. It's tough... I honestly prefer to fight Jiggs with my secondaries.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Challenge her approach with bair and uair and punish her aerials with dash attack when she's low enough. Save your jump for as late as possible when recovering and try to avoid her but challenge with uair if you must, and keep in mind Falcon can kill Puff at 50-80%. You can also try to dair her offstage and then quickly fade back on stage. Also space with fsmash when she tries to approach aerially since it pulls you back quite a lot, has massive reach and kills her at 50% if angled downwards. Don't leave yourself open for rest though.

WaluigiWeegeeSteel

Smash Cadet
NNID
NewerLuigi
3DS FC
1934-0873-4422
Listen to the fellow Falcon Mains advice as I agree completely.
I might add if all else fails and Jiggs catches you in her wall of pain, try to find an opportunity to Up B or Side B if you can manage the DI. I've at least taken a stock with the Side B spike so the trade is possible.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i like to run around and space nairs and bairs

then uair from beneath when she's up there, it'll beat most of her attacks

it's not hard to force her to full jump if your ground game is strong, but then that gives you the advantage from underneath

just try not to get baited when she's spacing aerials

Salad Bowl

Banned via Warnings
NNID
SaladBowl41
patience is key. dont use raptor boost a lot because the lag is enough to get rested. as a jiggs main i think the MU favors jiggs

rahsosprout

Smash Apprentice
i find dtilt to be very useful in this matchup. most puffs like to weave in and out with aerials and this will catch them as they retreat and land.

in the air uair beats puff. nair is okay too but not great in this MU.

my best advice would be to camp and space dtilt while occasionally mixing in jab. always keep the rest in mind and dont be greedy

patience is key. dont use raptor boost a lot because the lag is enough to get rested. as a jiggs main i think the MU favors jiggs
i only play puff occasionally but i think this mu favors falcon since puff doesnt have a solid answer to dtilt or jab, which together shut down her horizontal approach options and approaching from above is countered by falcons uair.

neither has to approach the other but falcon can walk forward and carefully space dtilt to apply shield pressure, forcing puff to do something

Last edited:

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
All the other Falcon mains already said it all, but...
It might sound silly and all, but I usually have a really hard time fighting Jigglypuff, especially the really competent ones.
... why would it be silly?

Lanayru3

Smash Rookie
Alright, thanks for the advice, everyone!

All the other Falcon mains already said it all, but... ... why would it be silly?
I thought it would be silly since I assumed it was just me having trouble trying to beat Jigglypuff, but I learnt that it's just a tricky matchup for Falcon.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Yeah, retreating and approaching bairs are your best friend in this matchup. If not for that, the matchup would be like 50x worse. lol

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Side B often gives me trouble, as Jiggs is my secondary. And falcon kicks. But as mentioned, Jiggs can often use that slight endlag to falcon kick to bair. You do NOT want to get hit by Jiggs and her bair.

Jiggs is really light though, so a shield to usmash or fsmash can get Falcon an early kill.

Envioux

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Envioux
As a Jiggly main, I'd say the matchup is either an even 50:50 or a 60:40 in Falcon's favor. We rely on spaced fairs/nairs and side b's to win the neutral game. If you can bait a pound (side b) then falcon kick will beat it out on the end lag. Speaking of falcon kicks, while we can beat those out, if they come out unexpectedly it's very difficult for us to deal with because it is so fast and we have little time to react with a SH pound/fair. If you can keep her above you, your uair absolutely destroys us. Jiggly despises being above Falcon and has a very difficult time against a down grab > uair string.

Being patient is the key for this match up for a Falcon player. Use your killing power to get early kills since she's so light and floaty. I usually ban stages with platforms against Falcon, and any platform stages are your friend against Jiggly. If for some reason Jiggly is approaching you with drill kick instead of trying to retreat with the reverse hitbox, shield grab > dthrow > uair will be a really strong punish. Honestly just watch out for pounds and try not to get knocked off stage and you should do fine.

Hope this helped.

Captain Farukon

Smash Journeyman
Also jiggly is pretty sluggish so you can Falcon kick her before it lands or during the jump animation, remember she has priority over your moves specially her Bair but you got speed , power and combos
short hop to Nair or grab if she´s when is running towards you

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
As a Jiggs main, one thing I feel isn't is that you should be wary of her Sing, it works like a grab now so be ready to wiggle that Control Stick at any moment. However, it can be shielded (same goes for her Rest)

Other than that, it's all about surviving and recovering. Make sure to go for the read and be wary of her Nair, it has killer speed and priority.

Envioux

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Envioux
As a Jiggs main, one thing I feel isn't is that you should be wary of her Sing, it works like a grab now so be ready to wiggle that Control Stick at any moment. However, it can be shielded (same goes for her Rest)

Other than that, it's all about surviving and recovering. Make sure to go for the read and be wary of her Nair, it has killer speed and priority.
Her sing is the worst sing of any other smash, it has bad hitboxes and if you spin the control stick in a full circle you'll be out of it before she can do anything. If for some reason you are actually hit by it, just do that.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I feel like such an idiot, lol. I've always mashed the joystick like crazy, but doing circles sounds like it actually gives more directional inputs to the game (and that's what matters).

Envioux

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Envioux
I feel like such an idiot, lol. I've always mashed the joystick like crazy, but doing circles sounds like it actually gives more directional inputs to the game (and that's what matters).
Also works for "mashing" out of grabs! It counts as multiple inputs spread out between different frames as opposed to mashing a ton of buttons as fast as you can which leads to multiple inputs during the same frames.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I won a tournament set today against a solid Jiggs today when my Pikachu got *****. I'll post the video when it's uploaded!

ToonLink4Ever

Smash Rookie
Try not to use Captain Falcon. His Falcon Punch move is really goo adn can usually KO enemies but Jigglypuff gets in your face too quickly and interrupts and constantly prevents you from using the falcon punch.

Top Bottom