• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help! Analyze This Pit's Performance

Squanchy

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheSmithsAreDead
3DS FC
4656-8236-9363
Hey there Pit mains! My friend is one of you: a diehard Pit who is desperately trying to compete in a world of top tier characters. In particular, she's been having a lot of difficulty with Cloud.

Below are three games she played against a friend of hers who is a Cloud main. If you could find it in your hearts to take some time out of your busy, busy Pit lives to offer some advice on the matchup and on her gameplay in general, we would be most appreciative!

According to her, her biggest issue is that she's stumped with how to approach him. If you could focus on possible approach options that would be fantastic!

Some quick observations from me:
  • Upperdash Arm offstage needs to snap the ledge, not hit Cloud's shield
  • Battlefield is probably not a good stage choice for Pit in this matchup
  • Grounded arrows seem to be a free limit charge for Cloud since he can just shield them
  • That Cloud seems to go for Jab 1, 2, 3 a lot after landing an autocanceled dair, so maybe try shielding in front of them until he starts using different options
  • Also, I'm pretty sure you can tell if Cloud's dair is going to autocancel if it's still green or not before it hits the ground
  • I think opt for Pit's Jab 1, 2, 3 instead of the rapid jab? Cloud can just jump out of the rapid jab and punish/claim stage positioning/reset the neutral
  • Saw a lot of Down Smashes and Down Tilts but not many Forward Tilts. I'm not a Pit main so I'm not sure when to choose one over the other but maybe these guys can help?
  • Maybe Short Hop Fair would be a good spacing tool for this matchup?

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
Hey there Pit mains! My friend is one of you: a diehard Pit who is desperately trying to compete in a world of top tier characters. In particular, she's been having a lot of difficulty with Cloud.

Below are three games she played against a friend of hers who is a Cloud main. If you could find it in your hearts to take some time out of your busy, busy Pit lives to offer some advice on the matchup and on her gameplay in general, we would be most appreciative!

According to her, her biggest issue is that she's stumped with how to approach him. If you could focus on possible approach options that would be fantastic!

Some quick observations from me:
  • Upperdash Arm offstage needs to snap the ledge, not hit Cloud's shield
  • Battlefield is probably not a good stage choice for Pit in this matchup
  • Grounded arrows seem to be a free limit charge for Cloud since he can just shield them
  • That Cloud seems to go for Jab 1, 2, 3 a lot after landing an autocanceled dair, so maybe try shielding in front of them until he starts using different options
  • Also, I'm pretty sure you can tell if Cloud's dair is going to autocancel if it's still green or not before it hits the ground
  • I think opt for Pit's Jab 1, 2, 3 instead of the rapid jab? Cloud can just jump out of the rapid jab and punish/claim stage positioning/reset the neutral
  • Saw a lot of Down Smashes and Down Tilts but not many Forward Tilts. I'm not a Pit main so I'm not sure when to choose one over the other but maybe these guys can help?
  • Maybe Short Hop Fair would be a good spacing tool for this matchup?
I'm not too good with typing up words, but from what I've seen, I think you're friend is playing a bit too defensively.
Cloud can just chill at the edge and just charge his limit. Basically, she's keeping her distance when she really shouldn't because Cloud can freely charge his limit.

Battlefield is a good stage for Cloud because of the platforms. He can pressure easier with his uairs.

Pit's jab 1, 2, 3 is def better than the multi-jab

Ftilt is an excellent spacing tool because it's got a tipper so you really see if you got your spacing correctly.

But we did cover Cloud in one of our MUs

http://smashboards.com/threads/batt...up-discussion-donkey-kong-samus-shulk.414936/

And there are always videos of Pit vs Cloud on Youtube. There should be some vids in the link above

Your friend should make an account. We can help her to be a totally cool Pit main like me all of us :3

ChkMte

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChckMte
From my perspective, your friend is playing extremely cautious. This is letting Cloud freely charge his limit. She should approach with more dash in and shields-cloud has very few options against a shielding opponent since he has no grab follow ups or kill throws. Dash in shield to dash grab or dash attack can effectively deal with Cloud's range, due to that lack of punish for shielding.

She should also use more throw combos, at low percents when she would grab often she would throw cloud away and he would just proceed to charging limit again. There are threads here about throw combos that would be helpful with this. Learn the follow ups on your actions, it helps tremendously.

Also, try to sweet spot the ledge with side b more. Cloud was able to get a few stocks due to using side b at him as opposed to the ledge.

Squanchy

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheSmithsAreDead
3DS FC
4656-8236-9363
Thanks for the advice guys!

I found a good video of Earth against Tweek:

I notice a few little things:
  1. Earth uses forward tilt a lot at the ledge to cover Cloud's neutral get up.
  2. He seems to mix up his recovery back to the stage between a ledge snapped upperdash arm and just using one of Pit's jumps to land back on the stage.
  3. He also seems to try to bait out Cloud's approaches when Cloud is on a platform above him by dashing forward and then immediately rolling backwards (you can see it at 2:00, 2:49, and 3:29)

Last edited:

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
When she has cloud offstage she should curve an arrow from below him to force a high recovery/burn his 2nd jump if he used it, from there stand on ledge and hold down b it pushes cloud back and kills him.

Squanchy

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheSmithsAreDead
3DS FC
4656-8236-9363
Looking for some tips on her performance in the Rosalina matchup. I've played her in a local tourney a few times and in plenty of friendlies. Here's a few I've recorded over the past week:

My thoughts:
  1. A lot of people say use Dark Pit in this match up, and I would agree. Electroshock Arm knocks Luma away fairly easily and by taking Rosa's trump card out of the equation enough times, the matchup can definitely swing towards Dark Pit's favor. Also, I think Rosa's Gravitational Pull negates the advantages Pit's arrows have over Dark Pit's.
  2. Make killing Luma your priority! Think of Rosalina has having limit charged when Luma is around haha. Keep in mind that Rosa's shield, when not at/near 100%, can't protect Luma. Also, untethered Luma is extremely vulnerable. Dash attack is a good option for knocking Luma offstage. Don't use forward smash against Luma because then Rosa can punish you. Opt for forward tilt instead. EDIT: actually, I think forward smash might be a good tool to get rid of Luma now. Not sure if F Tilt actually makes Luma enter free fall or not.
  3. Learn Luma's attack properties. Luma has its own distinct moveset which confuses players who are not familiar with it. In particular, be aware of Luma's Neutral Air (it's a kill move), Luma's positioning during Back Air, and Rosaluma's Lunar Landing tech.
  4. Keep working on getting your Down/Neutral Airs to finish/auto-cancel before landing. I get a lot of punishes because of that in the dozens of games we've played together.
  5. Play safe/low-risk when Luma is around. The means almost exclusively use your jabs, tilts, down smash, and auto-cancelled aerials. Keep the riskier moves (e.g. forward smash & up smash) for guaranteed punishes and for when you can afford to play a bit more high-risk/high-reward (i.e. when Luma is gone).
  6. My attack patterns are predictable. For example, Luma Shot -> Down Smash I use way too much. If you catch on to that, you can definitely shield the down smash and then Forward Tilt Luma away.
  7. You were doing really well the first stock in the first video and I was getting nervous, but then people started talking around us and I think you started getting tilted. Maybe use earbuds/headphones to avoid distractions or learn to deal with the background noise.
In addition, check out this post by Wintropy from the matchup thread. A lot of good advice there for the matchup in general. There's also the Rosa forum's Pit and Dark Pit matchup threads, which are other podiums for Wintropy to share his thoughts lol.

Pit mains, any feedback on how she was handling Rosa's Up Airs? Also, how can Pit can punish my rolling habit? Down smash? I'm not sure what the best advice is to offer on either of those.

Last edited:

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
I actually really like this MU as pit, i think it's in our favor. I couldn't watch it all right now but from what I saw she needs to be better at dealing with luma, my favorite move to do this is Pit's forward smash. It knocks Luma away and pretty much kills her from center stage without as much risk as DP's electroshock arm. I also noticed she just let Rosa recover a lot, not having a hitbox makes rosa's recovery super exploitable, especially to pit as he has multiple jumps. You can hit Rosa with dair, even if Rosa lives Luma gets knocked off stage, Nair is good too as it lingers and also kills Luma. I hope I could help!

Top Bottom