• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help against Sheik?

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
I play Wolf and Ike, my friend plays Sheik and has been beating me for about a month now. I haven't got any VODS but are there any general tips someone can give me? Or do you think I'd be better off playing Wolf? Please and thank you to everyone

WhinoTheRhino

Smash Apprentice
Here's something I wrote in response to this thread.

"For edgeguarding, grab ledge and do normal getup as she upBs, then just Dsmash and repeat until death. On stage, you wanna crouch cancel Sheik's tilts into grab, then Uthrow and just really focus on keeping her above you, but watch out for her quick aerials when juggling. Use platform tech traps with Uair, and use Nair's high hitbox to hit above you. Honestly this is an incredibly annoying and hard MU for Ike, but the more I play it the more doable I think it is. It's probably around 55:45 for Sheik, just focus on converting juggles into edgeguards into KOs."

It's more of a quick summary, but you can find some great advice here on the Ike boards in the matchup thread.

Last edited:

Sylarius

Smash Ace
I don't know how the wolf matchup is vs Sheik but Ike vs Sheik is not great for Ike. You'll want to try and avoid letting sheik get in on you since she has a ton of comboing ability and grab followups (very ridiculous). Here's most of what I do vs Sheik:

-Upthrow into bair at low %s, nair or bair at medium %s. Usually they can double jump before you get upair or other aerials on them at high %s but if you jump at them like you're going to uair, they may double jump and you can follow up with a doublejump uair or doublejump fair if they are way in front of you.

-Fthrow and bthrow are very good for comboing into fair though I would go for uthrow at lower %s. (Usually if you instant throw them they will miss the di)

-Try not to get baited into approaching them with fair or nair and getting punished for it. A lot of sheiks will like to come in with dash attack or rising fair - if you bait them with rising fair or nair (I usually do this with dash dance), you can come back in with a short hop nair which will usually combo into nair or other aerials. Make sure you mix it up if they are camping or catching on (quickdraw, approaching nair, spaced fair, etc.) This is dependent on the sheik and the level of play though.

-Now I COULD be wrong about this as I am not a melee player but my understanding for Sheik is when she's recovering and is pretty close to the stage, she can opt to aim for either the ledge or the stage. If you grab the ledge and do a normal getup or roll right after she disappears, you can usually occupy the ledge long enough so if sheik goes for the ledge she will die (or you can at least scare them into going for the stage), and once you get on the stage, punish with dsmash or whatever you choose. Here's some examples of how to do this properly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=O30Hw2rl4zo#t=1060
(also at 19:26, 19:45, 20:20, 20:38)

I'm not a great player myself but take a look at this video for putting some of this stuff into action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QRtK8k-CZE8#t=16203

Right at the start is juggling with nairs (I think all 3 were fast enough that he wouldn't have been able to jump out of it.)

4:30:15 is me punishing his jump nair with SH nair.

4:30:45 is a good example of how not to recover. You want to go either high or low to avoid getting stuffed by grounded needles. (Going low might get you stuffed by aerial needles but you take a risk either way.)

4:31:03 is some good juggling with utilt after he double jumped out of uair. I knew he'd drift left to avoid uair afterwards so I hit him with fair instead.

4:31:15 punishing his jump fair approach.

(just skip to the timestamp for this one if you aren't doing that already - there's better ike players to watch vs sheik)

4:39:29 I faked going for the edge so he went for the stage, and punished with dsmash.

Some more examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X05SZXZR7Qc

1:40 - 1:43 was a good offstage fair since he had lost his double jump.

At 2:12 he baited the sheik by being so far away and quickdraw grabbing him.

Throughout a lot of this video you can see Ally recovering high with quickdraw to avoid grounded needles.

5:30 - 5:36 was a good example of how to edgeguard sheik with dsmash until he messed up with the slow getup.

At 6:57 he went high enough to avoid the grounded needles but just barely missed the ledge.

7:18 was a good bair edgeguard.

Tbh, I probably missed a lot but just know that Sheik has stupid combo strings so try to avoid letting her get in on you to combo you with tilts and grabs (dash attack also leads into uair and fair at high %s which is dumb lol.)

Getsafe

Smash Apprentice
Honestly eruption edge guards shiek pretty well. You can hit her even if she sweet spots, as long as she doesn't get the autosnap from above stage

Top Bottom