• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help Adding Characters

ThiccCarrot

Smash Rookie
No matter what I do, I always end up with the same result: a soft crash after selecting the stage.

I have tried BrawlEx, Project M + BrawlEx, PM + BeX v242, and I can't get any of them to work.
I am playing on Wii and using PM Launcher to load up all 3. I have followed the directions given very carefully, even watching Alm5252's video on PM + BeX and copying what he did EXACTLY, and yet, it still soft crashed.
Another thing, when I was using v242, I didn't get all those extra Mario's like I was supposed to, instead I got a jumbled mess of the CSS where Fox and Mewtwo were so far to the left you couldn't even select them and had to use the C-Stick to move the camera in order to see them. (See it here.)

I'm about ready to give up hope, someone please help me.
If you need any extra info, I will gladly provide it.

D

Deleted member

What are you even trying to add? Is it just a texture for a character, or is it a new character all together?

If it is just a texture on an already existing character, then you won't need 'PM + BrawlEX'. It seems like there's something wrong with the 'CSSRoster.dat', but I could be wrong. Maybe try using the original 'Gecko OS', making sure to go to the 'Options' and enable 'AXNextFrame' in the 'hooktype' settings. Make sure to use the cheat code provided here, which goes in the 'codes' folder.

ThiccCarrot

Smash Rookie
What are you even trying to add? Is it just a texture for a character, or is it a new character all together?

If it is just a texture on an already existing character, then you won't need 'PM + BrawlEX'. It seems like there's something wrong with the 'CSSRoster.dat', but I could be wrong. Maybe try using the original 'Gecko OS', making sure to go to the 'Options' and enable 'AXNextFrame' in the 'hooktype' settings. Make sure to use the cheat code provided here, which goes in the 'codes' folder.
Unfortunately no, I'm not just adding skins.
I have tried to add VelvetKitsune's Simon/Richter and Byleth, and Alm5252's Shadow. By Gecko, I believe you are referring to regular BrawlEx, which also didn't work.
And this has to be an Internal error because there are a lot of mods based off PM + BrawlEx and v242 (such as KitsuBrawl)

D

Deleted member

Maybe just try starting afresh from the beginning using this guide. Make sure you are using the correct clones over the character(s), e.g. 'Byleth' goes over 'Zero Suit Samus' as a clone.

I might be able to test it for you soon, so I'll reply if I get the chance.

ThiccCarrot

Smash Rookie
Maybe just try starting afresh from the beginning using this guide. Make sure you are using the correct clones over the character(s), e.g. 'Byleth' goes over 'Zero Suit Samus' as a clone.

I might be able to test it for you soon, so I'll reply if I get the chance.
Thank you, I will try that guide.
And yes, I did use ZSS's clone files like I was supposed to.

D

Deleted member

I've tested the 'Byleth' model, and it does seem to work; maybe there's something you're doing wrong.

Although, for the model to look good, you do need to read the instructions about the extra effects (e.g. arrows), and I presume you need to use the codes that go along with it in the showcase video description.

As for the 'Shadow' model, that works too; just follow the guide and try it. I'd probably go with the 'Shadow' model first, as the 'Byleth' model adds additional steps.

ThiccCarrot

Smash Rookie
I've tested the 'Byleth' model, and it does seem to work; maybe there's something you're doing wrong.

Although, for the model to look good, you do need to read the instructions about the extra effects (e.g. arrows), and I presume you need to use the codes that go along with it in the showcase video description.

As for the 'Shadow' model, that works too; just follow the guide and try it. I'd probably go with the 'Shadow' model first, as the 'Byleth' model adds additional steps.
Ok thank you, I will give it a try when I get the chance.

Top Bottom