• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hello, old friends =)

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Hey, it really has huh :) I'm super hyped to not have fatigue! As neat of a mechanic as it was, it really made PT suffer in Brawl.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
If the trio will be as good all the time as they were fresh in Brawl I think I may be coming back to them as my main or secondary.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I might dabble but Charizard without Rock Smash's super armour is going to be a lot worse of a character than his Smash 4/5 counterpart and I don't know if the return of his transformations is going to make up for that loss.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
This was some of the best news from that. Squirtle and Ivysaur were great, and I really missed them. But now...they're back!

I am so happy to see them return! Definitely getting a lot of playtime from me.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Oh god I never expected my girl to return. I'm so ridiculously excited

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
SOOOOOO happy my little dudes are back! Can anyone confirm if their moves are the same as in brawl? I think the most interesting thing this time is It looks like you can swap pokemon really fast. this might allow inter-pokemon combos! I also Wonder if you still auto-swap on death.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
SOOOOOO happy my little dudes are back! Can anyone confirm if their moves are the same as in brawl? I think the most interesting thing this time is It looks like you can swap pokemon really fast. this might allow inter-pokemon combos! I also Wonder if you still auto-swap on death.
This video makes it seem like the moves are the same, but have had a slight style change. The switching looks almost like a spot-dodge though, how quickly it seems to occur.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
In Melee, the transformation between Zelda and Shiek was instant. Brawl messed it up by loading the characters separately. I've always thought that loading them simultaneously again would allow immediate transformations so they could be viable again.

Still, I don't know how to handle this. I wished they would be back, but I never thought it could ever happen.

Squirt/Ivy/Char has been my team in the main-series games since I played them in Brawl. Hoping Let's Go will let me get the three of them again, and now I can play them one more time in Smash. On the Great Plateau with BotW's awesome theme. Against Ridley.

This Smash *is* the ultimate. Sakurai has really outdone himself, and I honestly don't care what else ends up in this game at this point. It's perfect.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
This video makes it seem like the moves are the same, but have had a slight style change. The switching looks almost like a spot-dodge though, how quickly it seems to occur.

I can certainly see the switching out move being a flaw if any of the characters don't have a decent amount of time for invincible frames upon coming out of the pokeball,otherwise any character multihitting jabs can cover the switch out

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Any word on whether switching out is still forced on death? For those of us who mostly love one of them (my sweet sweet Ivysaur) that'd be a bit of a bummer.

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
Guess I might be a PT main in the future instead of a Zard main.
Sakurai said we can keep one out without penalty to main them....so I think that means yes. We need someone from E3 to tell us for sure.

If thats the case Pokemon trainer might be pretty open with the ability to always have 3 characters available while your opponent has 1

randy2dope

Smash Journeyman
I'm highly curious to see if Pokemon switch is everyone's down b attack or maybe it's a different command and squirtle and ivysaur have their own down b move

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Any word on whether switching out is still forced on death? For those of us who mostly love one of them (my sweet sweet Ivysaur) that'd be a bit of a bummer.
Yeah looks like that still happens from watching the invitational. Bummer, but fast switching and no stamina lessen the blow.

I was actually saying last month that if PT or a similar concept to him happened and worked more like Zeku does in Street Fighter V, I'd be all over the moon. I am alllllllllll over the moon rn.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
i kinda wish they threw away the pokeball animation for switching out and made it more like the latest blazblu e cross tag game where u switch almost instaneously.it'd looked silly yeah but situations like this.you just need to forget the source material.this is a fighting game

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
The biggest breakthrough is not needing a Smashville platform situation to zero switch. This is real, I almost feel like I'm dreaming. Seeing so many familiar users all in the same board too... This is fantastic. Expect ivysaur labbing from me in the future. I could bring up old brawl videos of ivy tech to see if any of it retained.

Pleasure to be playing our stamina-less, fatigue-less party.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I know I'd be using them if they're just as fun. Good ol' Squirtle, I missed ya, man.

T-block

B2B TST
Yeah, forced switch definitely occurs on death in the E3 build. That doesn't bother me at all though... I bet you could pull two switches to switch back before your invincibility even wears off heh.

It's too bad Armada ended up using PT in a 1v1 against Zero of all people... would have been nice to see him highlighted a little more. Ivysaur looked pretty slick though...

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Sakurai said we can keep one out without penalty to main them....so I think that means yes. We need someone from E3 to tell us for sure.

If thats the case Pokemon trainer might be pretty open with the ability to always have 3 characters available while your opponent has 1
The thing is, how I would play given instant switches would be sub optimal. Possible but frankly I would rather use everything I can on a character when need be.

Also forced changes on death so can’t solo.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
So if anyone missed it, Treehouse did a segment focused on showing off pokemon trainer.

really love squirtle using a variant of surf in his run animation. A little bummed that his upsmash is now him raising his arms rather than slamming them to the ground like in brawl. I very little nitpick yes, but I always thought that animation was super awesome looking. Overall though he's looking fresh. As for Ivysaur , I love his new dash attack and what looks to be his nair. Oddly enough I don't think I saw Ivy's nuetral or side b used at all. Leaf is also looking quite adorable, though I know personally I'll always stick with my boy Red.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Hey Pokemon Trainer fam!
I never expected it, but I'm so glad to see my boy back. I had to go to Toon Link and Lucina for Smash 4, but when this game releases I already know that Pokemon Trainer will be my number one. Even though I'm an old man now, I'm going to try to join the tournament scene here and rep Pokemon Trainer!

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
So interesting question, given I have mained Zard for most of smash 4, what is likely in Ivysaur's kit to link into Fly and Usmash on a potentially instant switch? Nair or Bair perhaps?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Also forced changes on death so can’t solo.
With how fast changes are, you could probably swap one out before you lose your invincibility, then if they're up close, throw em away and swap again.

So if anyone missed it, Treehouse did a segment focused on showing off pokemon trainer.
You've linked to a splatoon 2 section.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
With how fast changes are, you could probably swap one out before you lose your invincibility, then if they're up close, throw em away and swap again.
I've thought about that, but frankly as I have been going to tournaments on a regular basis, if I keep with PT/Zard, I'll be switching a lot given it is a tool the character has and I would be foolish to ignore it.

I could try and force solo Zard, but frankly in the long run it would be better to use all three. Even if Zard is my favorite and my main in smash 4.

Last edited:

Tremendo Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XGShadowstar
3DS FC
3093-8423-4303
I loved Zard in PM, but I didn't like how stiff Zard felt in Smash 4. We got more versatility and iframe switches now, though?

I think I'll give PT a serious shot as a secondary this time around.

JOE!

Smash Hero
I feel like the edgegaurding can be really fun with like, Ivy Bair - Swap - Zaird Bair

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Omg, this is so awesome! Any word on whether elemental weakness is still a thing?! So glad stamina was removed!!!

Acrete

Smash Cadet
I am likewise a Zard main. This new development is good news in my book. I can already see the Pokémon combos. Squirtle to get the damage up, ivy saur smash off the edge into charizard spike.

He’s going to be a very tricky character to deal with in good hands.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Hell yes. I missed you guys. Can't wait to see what's in store in SU. :ivysaur: :love:

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
I'm not exactly an "old friend" but I just love that there's a chance for Pokemon Trainer to be done right this time. Even if they're not someone I stick with, I bet they'll still be fun to watch.

Also no joke, Leaf being in the game was one of my favorite additions to see during the Direct :) About time she got some love!

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
I have decided to be a Pokemon trainer main again. Ivysaur's specials are looking much better than in brawl. Razor leaf seems to travel faster and BS looks to be useful as an anti air.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
When a thread is made to kick off the start of the game and finding things old and new about the pkmn, I'll post one video I remember uploading on my yt channel.

Otherwise, yeah, can't wait to develop the meta with you all.

Top Bottom