• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hello, not new to the scene but finally..

Caliox

Smash Rookie
decided to pick up the game and start playing. I have a lot of questions but my most important one is that, can i practice my tech skill on netplay? Like, is there an "offline" mode where I can just play with a bot or by myself and just practice tech skill? I unfortunately don't really have a scene around here, so netplay is my best option. I did find my melee disc/gamecube and controllers not too long ago... I was also considering on investing in a CRT. But I would prefer playing on netplay.. and apparently the monitor I have right now is perfectly fine with playing netplay with hardly any input lag.

Thought's? I just want to get going and start practicing a game that i've been following for 10+ years.. thanks in advance and sorry if my question is confusing, I'll be glad to clear up any confusion if need be.

JFB (JurgaBurgaFlintines)

Smash Apprentice
Another Marth main?!?!?!? YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

To answer your question, you can practice Melee offline on the Dolphin Emulator. Just boot up a copy of Melee and practice in training mode, simple as that.

Also, if you aren't aware of this website, you should bookmark it and visit it! http://www.meleelibrary.com/ It has a plethora of resources to look through. Combine that with watching videos and browsing Smashboards and you will be a walking brain filled with Melee knowledge :D

Caliox

Smash Rookie
Another Marth main?!?!?!? YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

To answer your question, you can practice Melee offline on the Dolphin Emulator. Just boot up a copy of Melee and practice in training mode, simple as that.

Also, if you aren't aware of this website, you should bookmark it and visit it! http://www.meleelibrary.com/ It has a plethora of resources to look through. Combine that with watching videos and browsing Smashboards and you will be a walking brain filled with Melee knowledge :D
Of course! Love my guy Marth. Yeah I definitely am bookmarking this and visiting the library. After so many years of following the scene, I'm finally deciding to pick it up and learn it. Idk what took me so long but hey, I'm excited! Thanks a lot.

Raycu

Smash Apprentice
If you have any questions about him check out the Marth section of melee forums c:

Silen

Smash Cadet
Ya, there's offline in dolphin. Also, you should get 20XX with dolphin, it's not that hard to install and it helps alot. Fair warning, the people on netplay are often hella good, at least for dealing with people who just got the game. Don't get discouraged, but they will kick your ass alot. Also, what is your monitor, you may think it's not much lag. But you'll care about it later. I can check your monitors frame lag. And if you want to do it, 16 milliseconds = 1 frame. 60 frames per second. Also, have fun! This game ****ing rocks and has a sick community, even though you'll get rekt most likely, go to tourneys around your area, it's really fun even when you lose. Everyone is normally really nice. Good luck!

P.S : Marth is really cool

Caliox

Smash Rookie
Ya, there's offline in dolphin. Also, you should get 20XX with dolphin, it's not that hard to install and it helps alot. Fair warning, the people on netplay are often hella good, at least for dealing with people who just got the game. Don't get discouraged, but they will kick your *** alot. Also, what is your monitor, you may think it's not much lag. But you'll care about it later. I can check your monitors frame lag. And if you want to do it, 16 milliseconds = 1 frame. 60 frames per second. Also, have fun! This game ****ing rocks and has a sick community, even though you'll get rekt most likely, go to tourneys around your area, it's really fun even when you lose. Everyone is normally really nice. Good luck!

P.S : Marth is really cool
I see that there is a tutorial to download dolphin but is there also an installation guide with 20XX? And yeah I already mentally prepared myself that I'm going to get my butt kicked in. It's all about learning and learning from my losses and competing so that's what I love. Thank you!

Oh, and here's my monitor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2HH7G0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

edit: And I just found out I have a scene over where I live so I'll definitely try to attend tournaments! Whenever I get comfortable enough obviously so I don't get my butt kicked THAT hard

Last edited:

Silen

Smash Cadet
I see that there is a tutorial to download dolphin but is there also an installation guide with 20XX? And yeah I already mentally prepared myself that I'm going to get my butt kicked in. It's all about learning and learning from my losses and competing so that's what I love. Thank you!

Oh, and here's my monitor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2HH7G0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

edit: And I just found out I have a scene over where I live so I'll definitely try to attend tournaments! Whenever I get comfortable enough obviously so I don't get my butt kicked THAT hard
Alright so... this is kind of embarrassing, I don't have a direct link to tell you how to get 20xx on dolphin, but you should be able to find it on any video on youtube. And also ya, you were right, that is one of the 3 monitors that are meant for netplay you'll be good on that front.

Also, that's great that you have a scene. You're almost destine to meet some really cool people. Good luck :)

P.S: When you do get 20xx for dolphin. make sure that you get version 4.05. Not tournament edition, 4.05 has way more training tools and is super useful. It will be called training pack.

Last edited:

Caliox

Smash Rookie
Alright so... this is kind of embarrassing, I don't have a direct link to tell you how to get 20xx on dolphin, but you should be able to find it on any video on youtube. And also ya, you were right, that is one of the 3 monitors that are meant for netplay you'll be good on that front.

Also, that's great that you have a scene. You're almost destine to meet some really cool people. Good luck :)

P.S: When you do get 20xx for dolphin. make sure that you get version 4.05. Not tournament edition, 4.05 has way more training tools and is super useful. It will be called training pack.
Oh okay, I'll keep that in mind! Thanks a lot. One last thing.. If I'm going to be running 4.05, I won't' be able to play people on netplay right? Since almost everybody is going to be running TE. Unless I'm wrong.. but I still would prefer 4.05 since I'm just going to be in the lab for hours.

EDIT: OHhh! LAST thing.. since I found my GC controllers from back in the day, assuming they are in bad shape, is there a site where i can purchase new controllers that aren't sm4sh? Or is that the only option I have left? I've heard that those sm4sh controllers aren't that great compared to the old GC controllers.

Last edited:

Silen

Smash Cadet
Sadly it seems that the only original gamecube controllers are used, although you can get a good quality used one for around 30 bucks. The only problem with the new smash4 edition one is that some of them have something called analog stick flickback. Here's a link https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0017KIBAI/ref=olp_page_2?ie=UTF8&startIndex=10

Also, I just looked at your name plate. Ya... you've got a scene. As a matter of fact, you've got the second biggest scene in the world right next to california. And I would like to firmly welcome you to the florida smash scene. It's hella stacked.
It's a bit of a drive for you, but I recommend going to CentralFloridaSmackdown. It's only seven dollars and weekly has some of the best talent in florida. It's about an hour away from your location, here's the link https://www.facebook.com/events/432938393715458/

Silen

Smash Cadet
One last thing, If you need any specific marth help that you can't find in a forum because alot of them have hundereds of pages, you can ask me, I use marth as a well trained secondary and know how to use him well. If I can give any tip for someone just starting out especially with marth, you are going to want to start using C-stick for ariels so you can control your ariel drift better. This goes for all characters, but especially marth.

Caliox

Smash Rookie
One last thing, If you need any specific marth help that you can't find in a forum because alot of them have hundereds of pages, you can ask me, I use marth as a well trained secondary and know how to use him well. If I can give any tip for someone just starting out especially with marth, you are going to want to start using C-stick for ariels so you can control your ariel drift better. This goes for all characters, but especially marth.
Second biggest scene? Wow I'm pretty lucky then. That definitely does give me more drive to practice and get better. I'm leaning more towards buying a used GC controller. There's probably videos on how to properly clean it thoroughly anyway. I'll probably be needing and asking for help once I start playing. But first, I just want to practice my tech skill and get used to my movements first. But I'll definitely ask you for some help, is there any other way I could contact you? Other than smashboards.. discord or something? I don't really have the money at this moment to get the equipment I need to play netplay, but I will soon so that's a good thing.

Silen

Smash Cadet
Second biggest scene? Wow I'm pretty lucky then. That definitely does give me more drive to practice and get better. I'm leaning more towards buying a used GC controller. There's probably videos on how to properly clean it thoroughly anyway. I'll probably be needing and asking for help once I start playing. But first, I just want to practice my tech skill and get used to my movements first. But I'll definitely ask you for some help, is there any other way I could contact you? Other than smashboards.. discord or something? I don't really have the money at this moment to get the equipment I need to play netplay, but I will soon so that's a good thing.
Yep, I speak from experience. Florida has a huge scene, we used to have two of the gods at one point, but Hbox moved. Aside from that, anywhere you look you can find a tournament, especially since you're in central florida where I live. There's always weeklies and monthlies from many organizations.

Heres my discord Silen#3240

Top Bottom