• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hello I'm new to Mewtwo and was wondering what is Mewtwo BnB combos and some tips for neutral.

Laminat3

Smash Rookie
The only thing i really know is down-tilt>fair and i really want to know more as I find the character really fun.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Hey man! Welcome to the world of Mewtwo. Mewtwo has an incredible neutral, and the introduction of dash cancelling helps him even further!

With Mewtwo, your main tools in neutral should be ftilt, dtilt, up tilt, shadow ball. Dash cancel jab, fair, nair (incredible at catching rolls), and side b if the opponent is making themselves open. The tilts are all incredible combo starters, while fair, shadow ball, and sweet spot ftilt are your safest kill options. If you land down b while they are at high %, that is a free stock for you. Down smash is another great kill option.

At low %, space with ftilt, dtilt and dash cancelled jabs. When you get them in the air, juggle with up airs.

And finally, his throws. F throw is your main damage dealing throw, while Up throw and Back throw are your kill throws. D throw is a combo throw at low %.

Hope this helps you out a bit. I’ve been a Mewtwo main for years, and I love talking about him, so if you have anymore questions just let me know!

Last edited:

Laminat3

Smash Rookie
Hey man! Welcome to the world of Mewtwo. Mewtwo has an incredible neutral, and the introduction of dash cancelling helps him even further!

With Mewtwo, your main tools in neutral should be ftilt, dtilt, up tilt, shadow ball. Dash cancel jab, fair, nair (incredible at catching rolls), and side b if the opponent is making themselves open. The tilts are all incredible combo starters, while fair, shadow ball, and sweet spot ftilt are your safest kill options. If you land down b while they are at high %, that is a free stock for you. Down smash is another great kill option.

At low %, space with ftilt, dtilt and dash cancelled jabs. When you get them in the air, juggle with up airs.

And finally, his throws. F throw is your main damage dealing throw, while Up throw and Back throw are your kill throws. D throw is a combo throw at low %.

Hope this helps you out a bit. I’ve been a Mewtwo main for years, and I love talking about him, so if you have anymore questions just let me know!
yo thank you only one question do you know what combos out of down throw in low percent i have really only been trying fair and cant get it to link but i also think i'm not hitting it fast enough

Laminat3

Smash Rookie

as well as i was wonder i have seen alot of guide on mewtwo in smash 4 do you think i could apply anything from thoughs to ultimate

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
yo thank you only one question do you know what combos out of down throw in low percent i have really only been trying fair and cant get it to link but i also think i'm not hitting it fast enough
Yeah, down throw to fair is not really good. Instead, try down throw to running up tilt to get them into the air. And I wouldn't really recommend looking at smash 4 guides for Ultimate Mewtwo. There are too many things he can do now that he couldnt before.

Laminat3

Smash Rookie
Yeah, down throw to fair is not really good. Instead, try down throw to running up tilt to get them into the air. And I wouldn't really recommend looking at smash 4 guides for Ultimate Mewtwo. There are too many things he can do now that he couldnt before.
ok thanks

Ajani

Smash Apprentice

That was really helpful. Basically, at the start of the game I should be looking into going for a down grab into up air juggles?

Ultimate allows us to short hop using attack and jump at the sametime, does it matter if I utilize that over regular short hops for mewtwo?

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Quick question for you, T-Donor66 T-Donor66 : What are the inputs for a dash-cancelled jab?
While dashing, let go of the run stick and you can then preform any attack out of the dash. For jab, simply press a once your stick is back to the center. I recommend setting your c stick to tilt as well, as it allows you to perform any tilt out of a dash super easily.

Last edited:

Ajani

Smash Apprentice
While dashing, let go of the run stick and you can then preform any attack out of the dash. For jab, simply press a once your stick is back to the center. I recommend setting your c stick to tilt as well, as it allows you to perform any tilt out of a dash super easily.
Is there any advantages on having cstick as smash over tilt?

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Is there any advantages on having cstick as smash over tilt?
Not really. Smash attacks can easily be preformed out of dash by pressing a direction and A at the same time. On the other hand, it is nearly impossible to preform a dash cancelled F tilt without tilt stick. Seriously, give it a try. You will preform an f-smash. Mewtwo has some of the best dash cancelled tilts, so for him I would say tilt stick is objectively better.

WoW Tarv

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 3431 0382 0347
Hey I’m also a new mewtwo main so I really appreciate you making this thread!

I’m already learning a lot

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
That was really helpful. Basically, at the start of the game I should be looking into going for a down grab into up air juggles?

Ultimate allows us to short hop using attack and jump at the sametime, does it matter if I utilize that over regular short hops for mewtwo?
I am super sorry. For some reason Smashboards decided not to notify me of this post. Ridiculous.

In case you are still wondering, Mewtwo doesn’t really have the safest grab. Definitely use it if the opponent is too defensive, but I wouldn’t say it is something you actively want to throw our haphazardly. Jab and Dtilt are way safer.

At low percents. You always want to have a fully charged shadow ball ready. The amount of pressure this puts on the opponent is unreal, and can lead them to play hyper defense, which you can then try to punish.

D tilt and nair are the safest moves to throw out at low percents. Grab is also a good mixup as well. Use Up air and up tilt as your anti air and combo extenders.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. Super sorry I didn’t see this earlier, I hope these tips still help!

Last edited:

Ginsai

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8248-1982-9689
I am super sorry. For some reason Smashboards decided not to notify me of this post. Ridiculous.

In case you are still wondering, Mewtwo doesn’t really have the safest grab. Definitely use it if the opponent is too defensive, but I wouldn’t say it is something you actively want to throw our haphazardly. Jab and Dtilt are way safer.

At low percents. You always want to have a fully charged shadow ball ready. The amount of pressure this puts on the opponent is unreal, and can lead them to play hyper defense, which you can then try to punish.

D tilt and nair are the safest moves to throw out at low percents. Grab is also a good mixup as well. Use Up air and up tilt as your anti air and combo extenders.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. Super sorry I didn’t see this earlier, I hope these tips still help!
That’s my problem I’m to grab happy XD. I recently picked up Mewtwo. I like his edgeguarding game, his tools, and aerial game. I enjoy his option to do a buffered short hope fair, and go into a second jump but cancel the moment effect with another aerial at the same height as the short hope to you can provide some interesting strings or reads. I still have a lot to learn like a reverse aerial rushes, using fast fall more, getting attacking cancelling down, and getting better at my movement.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
That’s my problem I’m to grab happy XD. I recently picked up Mewtwo. I like his edgeguarding game, his tools, and aerial game. I enjoy his option to do a buffered short hope fair, and go into a second jump but cancel the moment effect with another aerial at the same height as the short hope to you can provide some interesting strings or reads. I still have a lot to learn like a reverse aerial rushes, using fast fall more, getting attacking cancelling down, and getting better at my movement.
Awesome!Welcome to be boards. Hope to see you around and ill be happy to help answer any questions you may have!

Last edited:

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
Don't underestimate teleport in neutral. It is able to bring you back to the ground very quickly and get you away from disadvantageous positions. Mix it up, of course, and don't just use it the same way every time, but it can make you incredibly difficult to pin down or predict. You can also teleport in place to psych people out on rare occasion. If you haven't landed a teleport-behind-and-initiate-combo, you haven't played Mewtwo. :shades: It works really well on people charging a move or overcommitting to an edgeguard attempt.

Last edited:

brayden77

Smash Rookie
NNID
torterra1205
3DS FC
0490-8559-4994

I’m also an amateur Mewtwo player, and I just learned about Mewtwo’s footstool combos. Almost all the information about it is for Smash 4, but it seems that most of the technique is preserved in Ultimate. I understand this is a very difficult technique to pull off, but it’s easy to practice in Training and I think if I work at it long enough, it will become easier. In terms of my questions, though, I was wondering if you could explain if and how footstool > disable changed from Smash 4 to Ultimate. If the disable lands, what are my best followup options for high and low percentages? Right now I’m considering either a D smash, since F smash usually ends up sourspotted, or D tilt > true F air. Also, how often should I use this in a match? Maybe once a match? My most important question, though, is whether you can still pull this off out of a backwards N air, like in Smash 4. N air no longer has 8 hits, and you can’t cancel it halfway through by fast falling, which means both N air > footstool combo confirms are changed. Sorry for the excessive questions.

Last edited:

whippletickle

Smash Rookie
If the disable lands, what are my best followup options for high and low percentages? Right now I’m considering either a D smash, since F smash usually ends up sourspotted, or D tilt > true F air. Also, how often should I use this in a match? Maybe once a match?
I rarely use disable at low percentages, dtilt or smashing them offstage are usually the best options if you dont have a charged Shadow Ball.
Disable is a relatively safe move to throw out when an opponent is on the ground, and an excellent response to most character's dash attack. Reserving it seems unnecessary to me. Let them know you have it and let them be scared of it.

Last edited:

Gotmilk0112

Smash Apprentice
Also trying to pick up Mewtwo and he just feels all-around garbage tier. Nothing combos into anything except dtilt into forward air SOMETIMES, super slow and floaty, dies at like 100% to most anything, highly punishable smashes, super low priority on most attacks, etc.

Four hours later and I'm still getting bodied by CPUs. I guess he's just too different from ROB / Inkling for me to learn?

Or it's just the CPUs being their usual "perfect airdodges literally everything" selves.

Last edited:

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Also trying to pick up Mewtwo and he just feels all-around garbage tier. Nothing combos into anything except dtilt into forward air SOMETIMES, super slow and floaty, dies at like 100% to most anything, highly punishable smashes, super low priority on most attacks, etc.

Four hours later and I'm still getting bodied by CPUs. I guess he's just too different from ROB / Inkling for me to learn?

Or it's just the CPUs being their usual "perfect airdodges literally everything" selves.
Why are you playing against cpu’s in the first place? Are you purposely trying to form bad habits?

Anyways, everything you said was wrong. Stop trying to play him like rob and inkling. If you want, we can run some friendlies online and I can show you the best way to play him.

Last edited:

Gotmilk0112

Smash Apprentice
Why are you playing against cpu’s in the first place? Are you purposely trying to form bad habits?
Because online has like 20 frames of input delay and I can't stand it.

That and, my left joycon keeps disconnecting at random and I'm still waiting for the repair kit to come in so I can fix it.

Anyways, everything you said was wrong.
So I was just hallucinating the ~6 hours I spent playing?

Lanny

Smash Cadet
So I was just hallucinating the ~6 hours I spent playing?
How you do against bots using joycons no less is a pretty poor indication of how good or bad a character is. You pointed out the way bots airdodge far better than most humans, mewtwo's game leans heavily on offstage edgeguards which are wayyyyyy more difficult to land against level 9 bots than against actual players that are susceptible to mixups, mindgames, and just general nerves, so that's at least one one in which your offline experience doesn't reflect how viable the character is.

Also M2's attacks have pretty good priority in general, bair, fair, upsmash, utilt, and ftilt all have above average to high priority (or a huge disjoint that gives them effectively high priority) and full charge shadowball is one of the most powerful projectiles in the game. The only really low priority move is nair. Dash speed is well above average, almost everyone's smashes are highly punishable and if you're getting punished for using them in neutral then you're doing it wrong. I don't even know where you got those impressions from but yeah, pretty much everything you said is wrong.

Even against actual people, it takes more than 6 hours of play to get enough of a hang of a character to really say if they're garbage or not. Try playing the character seriously against other people before making a judgement on its viability.

Lanny

Smash Cadet
Do you have any opportunity to play offline with other people? That's obviously the ideal setup but not always an option. And yeah, netplay is far from perfect but it's still a better way to get a feel for a character than bots. For what it's worth mewtwo probably does better on a laggy connection than most of the cast because of the big hitboxes.

Last edited:

Gotmilk0112

Smash Apprentice
Do you have any opportunity to play offline with other people? That's obviously the ideal setup but not always an option. And yeah, netplay is far from perfect but it's still a better way to get a feel for a character than bots. For what it's worth mewtwo probably does better on a laggy connection than most of the cast because of the big hitboxes.
Nope, nobody around to play with.

It wasn't so bad on Wii U because it was really quick to get into a match, and then leave and get into a match with someone else, but now it takes a lot longer to get into a match, and on top of that it's really laggy.

People said Wii U was laggy, but I never noticed any difference between offline and online. When I play online in Ultimate, it's like night and day, hence my "20 frames of input lag" complaints. It's so horribly laggy. And no it's not my internet because I've got 100mbps down/up fiber, and the LAN connector.

brayden77

Smash Rookie
NNID
torterra1205
3DS FC
0490-8559-4994
I
Nope, nobody around to play with.

It wasn't so bad on Wii U because it was really quick to get into a match, and then leave and get into a match with someone else, but now it takes a lot longer to get into a match, and on top of that it's really laggy.

People said Wii U was laggy, but I never noticed any difference between offline and online. When I play online in Ultimate, it's like night and day, hence my "20 frames of input lag" complaints. It's so horribly laggy. And no it's not my internet because I've got 100mbps down/up fiber, and the LAN connector.
Try to fix something else. I always played against CPUs in Smash 4 (I had 3DS, so I only ever played when I unfortunately had no connection, so I rarely got to play online), and ever since I’ve been able to play online in Ultimate consistently, my skill level has skyrocketed compared to before. Playing against CPUs develops very bad habits that I’ve been trying to shake ever since, so finding a way to play online is imperative for you in my opinion. There must be something wrong that causes the lag, because I can assure you that I have no ability to use a LAN cable and mediocre connection (it’s good, but I’m a bit far from the router, to the point where sometimes I will even randomly disconnect due to connection failure for no reason), yet I almost never experience lag. Once in a while there will be small lag spikes that don’t last long and are infrequent, but aside from that everything is smooth. Any large lag is likely from other people, and much more common at low GSP than at high GSP. I definitely never experience noticeable input lag, either, so I believe that there is something you can fix to play online. It doesn’t sound that important, but I swear on my life that it will change how you play heavily.

Also, in terms of Mewtwo, maybe try watching some high level tournament matches with good Mewtwos to see how he plays and how his tools are optimized, then mess around with him some more.

Gileril

Smash Cadet
I just picked this guy up a couple days ago, and he feels amazing; clicked like no other character has for me in this game, and shot up to elite smash pretty quick. Incredibly fun character that fits my style and kills refreshingly easily compared to others I've tried.

As others have noted, tilt on c-stick is probably mandatory on :ultmewtwo: unless you're some kind of god with your inputs; dash canceling into any of your tilts is just way too good. However, it might be worth noting that if you leave A+B smash turned on, you still have an outlet for using smash attacks regardless of your stick input force- I really only use it for an occasional dash into upsmash though.

I've seen it mentioned that :ultmewtwo: suffers to a degree because of the changes to air dodges, but it's also noteworthy that others suffer in-particular against :ultmewtwo: because of the same changes; his juggling game is bananas with utilt and uair.

One fun thing some of you new players might try with him: switch to a clawgrip when you edgeguard (if you don't use it all the time) [i.e. right pointer finger resting across Y, thumb ready to use c-stick]. Basically lets you run off, input your aerial with the c-stick while simultaneously inputting 2nd jump back towards the ledge. It feels silky smooth with this character, and the visual of :ultmewtwo: clawing someone to their doom while being yanked backwards by an invisible bungie cord never gets old.

The main learning curves I'm personally working on atm are dealing with low profile characters like :ultpichu::ultpikachu:, and occasionally campers like a good :ultsamus:- possibly because I'm still learning the timing on disable.

Top Bottom