• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hello guys!

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord

JFyst

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1822-1491-9293
Can we ban luigi the character is op, obviously carrying this casual. Casssssssuuuuuuuaaaaalllllllllll.

JoeyPlunk

Smash Rookie
Hey Blea, super cool videos. Your movement is always fun to watch. I just wanted to ask you about your use of WD turnaround-shieldstop, and was wondering what situations you find it useful. Just a spacing tool? Are you looking for some sort of reaction from the opponent?

Keep it up dude

EarthCrash

Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart
Just when I begin to see Abate and Eddy Mexico to be the better Luigi's, you managed to demonstrate that you are still equally on their level.

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord
Hey Blea, super cool videos. Your movement is always fun to watch. I just wanted to ask you about your use of WD turnaround-shieldstop, and was wondering what situations you find it useful. Just a spacing tool? Are you looking for some sort of reaction from the opponent?

Keep it up dude
Hey man, thank you very much !! Well, the more tools (patterns) you,have the better, since you become less predictible. I use it a lot to do different things from it. For example, sometimes it's good to jab mid WD, go past them, grab from behind. Sometimes its also good to jab mid WD, go past them, turn around nair/another jab after the turn around and ftilt. You can play a lot after you hit that first jab. And when they think the jab will come out because they are used to it, just grab ^^.

Just when I begin to see Abate and Eddy Mexico to be the better Luigi's, you managed to demonstrate that you are still equally on their level.
Thank you very much man, i appreciate your oppinion. Eddy and abate are both also really good. Rofl it's upcominy as well he has been doing a great job !

EarthCrash

Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart
Thank you very much man, I appreciate your opinion. Eddy and Abate are both also really good. ROFL's upcoming as well, he has been doing a great job!
You're very much welcome. Luigi has been getting more and more under the spotlight recently, and it brings a joyful tear to my eye seeing the results of it.

Last edited:

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
Our edgeguarding style of foxs is pretty similar (Ha. Go figure!) but I think it needs some work.

One thing we love to do is SH and throw a fireball out - I think it's too committal and we end up getting hit by Side-B more often than not. Furthermore, the risk-reward of actually hitting with it is too low. The result is a slight ping and 4% damage which is hardly anything. Also, more experienced opponents will just react to getting hit by the fireball and immediately Side-B after it connects and then hit us while we are slowly floating to the ground. I think its a bad habit gained from profiting off of noobs who don't know the match up. (Plus, it's extremely satisfying to land a fireball on a fox and watch them plummet if they don't realize what's happening!)

Example of fireball not working so well =/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2EsgpDU550#t=7m16s

Need to get more option coverage out of the edgeguards. Abate does a great job in wavedashing off the ledge and then rising with a Nair that sweeps over the ledge, covering all Side-B options and then landing and proceeding to cover their Firefox option.

In the above video, staying grounded was probably the better decision. Maybe throwing out a jab to cover Side-B? then if they firefox you can react with a wavedash to hit him with a Ftilt or w/e

Fireball just isn't cutting it against better players.

Anyhow, you're amazing, Blea, can't wait to play with you when I get home. (Also I'm waiting for you to christen that new Luigi bowl of mine at Smash The Record!)

Last edited:

Pinilla

Smash Cadet
Hey Blea,

You're in my pool at TBH5, hope I get a chance to play you. I've learned a lot from watching your videos.

Yann J.Ridin

Smash Apprentice
Switzerland, La Suisse, Pays de Neuchâtel
Our edgeguarding style of foxs is pretty similar (Ha. Go figure!) but I think it needs some work.

One thing we love to do is SH and throw a fireball out - I think it's too committal and we end up getting hit by Side-B more often than not. Furthermore, the risk-reward of actually hitting with it is too low. The result is a slight ping and 4% damage which is hardly anything. Also, more experienced opponents will just react to getting hit by the fireball and immediately Side-B after it connects and then hit us while we are slowly floating to the ground. I think its a bad habit gained from profiting off of noobs who don't know the match up. (Plus, it's extremely satisfying to land a fireball on a fox and watch them plummet if they don't realize what's happening!)

Example of fireball not working so well =/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2EsgpDU550#t=7m16s

Fireball just isn't cutting it against better players.
Yes, I totally agree. Fireball edgeguard is hard and not efficient if the opponent knows the trick.
Now, I'm working on a more reactive edgeguard: SH backward toward the ledge at the right timing to be at the apex of the jump when the fox is at the level of the mid plateform. And now react and hit with the Bair:
1. Use DJ Bair if if goes on plateform.
2. Just let you fall down with him and late Bair if he goes on stage.
3. And just let you fall and grab the ledge if he wants to go on the ledge.
4. If he tries to firefox you can sometimes dont go on the legde and DJ to reach him with a bair when he s charging.

It is on progress, but maybe can give you some idea.

BTW Blea, I will definitly try to give you a long feedback on your video in the next days.

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I totally agree. Fireball edgeguard is hard and not efficient if the opponent knows the trick.
Now, I'm working on a more reactive edgeguard: SH backward toward the ledge at the right timing to be at the apex of the jump when the fox is at the level of the mid plateform. And now react and hit with the Bair:
1. Use DJ Bair if if goes on plateform.
2. Just let you fall down with him and late Bair if he goes on stage.
3. And just let you fall and grab the ledge if he wants to go on the ledge.
4. If he tries to firefox you can sometimes dont go on the legde and DJ to reach him with a bair when he s charging.
I think the most option coverage would be to SHFFL a Nair near the edge to kind of 'Sweep' every Side-B to stage option. If they start a firefox you can WD->Ftilt or WD off the stage into an aerial or something.

Yann J.Ridin

Smash Apprentice
I think the most option coverage would be to SHFFL a Nair near the edge to kind of 'Sweep' every Side-B to stage option. If they start a firefox you can WD->Ftilt or WD off the stage into an aerial or something.
I don't use the Nair so much because before 80% i guess it s hard to have a combo after the late Nair . Most of the time they will Survival Di, so at low percent they will land on stage and at high percent they will land on the mid plateform. I dont realy like this because you have to techase plus they have their DJ back.

^It s some theorycal ideas, i will definitely try this to see how it concretly works.

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
If you connect the nair before they touch the stage (While they are still in Side->B) they shouldn't get their jump back. I do agree that it gives them an opportunity to escape with DI or a tech on a platform though. Abate edgeguards like this pretty extensively and it works in his favor more often than not.

Yann J.Ridin

Smash Apprentice
Hello,

So just quick things:

VS Fox:
-I should want to see more SH Dair to stop nair appraoch of fox like you did at 8:00 against Chillin.
-You have an incredible techchase game GG.
-You seem being in trouble against all those Full hop. That s really hard to deal with, i was thininking about full hop bair who can be the right attack between nair and fair. You do some interesting FH Nair against MikeHaze to escape de pressure at 7:03 and 7:07.
- Against campy plateform fox, I guess appraoch FH bair can be use to hit the fox if is going to the mid plateform and you can still escape by the top plateform after it. I can imagine using this at 3:17 against Mike Haze
-EDIT: i forgot something: At 10:38 against MikeHaze you try to follow a tech chase with a FH Bair. SH Bair would be safer on shield and i know that plateform on PS are really good to Shieldstab with SH bair

I'm really interesting what are your tools/what you are waiting for against FH and Campy plateform foxs!

VS M2K:
Nothing really to say but you can probably use way more the CC. Certainly that a top player like M2K is ready for it but i guess i saw few occasions for a CC Dsmash.

VS ICs:
I have almost 0 XP against this matchup, but i guess you did it quiet well.

Thank you for give us the oppurtinity to give you a feedback, awesome play in general and sorry for the poor english,

Yann Jah Ridn'

Last edited:

onehunna

Smash Cadet
hey blea, my comments below. will edit with more in due time.

vs chillin:
  • i'm going to go ahead and agree with blueEG's point on fireball usage vs. fox's recovery. i think the main issue is its recovery time. every once in a while i definitely believe that its a useful mixup, even versus better players, but there are more reliable options out there, from hanging nair to pop them up to a well-timed dair to send them back off to back air wall of pains. i like fireball better against falco players who have already committed to an up-B, though as blueEG also mentioned, an instant side-B back onstage can be an issue.
  • very strong punishes on your tech chases, major key in this matchup. you were in his head and cutting off his options left and right. nice work.
  • game one, the first two stocks, you were in complete control. the major thing to take away from your movement here imo was the way you stayed out of chillin's range and picked your spots carefully. after those first two stocks, i think you got airborne a bit too much and started approaching more blindly, which chillin took advantage of to make a slight comeback. if you can stay cognizant and 'tease' the fox with your movement as you did in those first two stocks, its lights out. easier said than done of course.

Top Bottom