• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hello, casual Kirby player here! Looking fore some advice :-)

Koggers

Smash Rookie
I've been playing ssbb with my friends for some years now, usually beating them and making me look like a good player, but I know I'm not, we all just play with no knowledge of advanced techs, terms, etc.

The Nintendo fest is coming to my country and there will be a ssbb tourney (as well as other games tourneys) so I'm trying to get better at the game, I play with Kirby the most and know some basic stuff, like SHFF with b-air (sometimes i forget ff), the f-grab -> u-air -> f-grab -> f-special combo, and meteoring with d-air, what DI is blablabla...

Still I see tourney videos and the people playing there move like bullets and react extremely fast (aka. Chu), i wouldn't even hit them once, I know that learn by playing but I'm just sick of playing so bad and slow..

Well there goes my story, now:

+ I just changed from wiimote to gamecube controller, I'm still getting used to it; as a Kirby player should I b-stick? the special jump is useful to b-air but the c-stick has other advantages, what do you people use?

+ I know sometimes jumping (specially short hopping) with X is better, but should I use X/Y (pref X as far as I know) to jump or Up too?

+ Should I smash with forward + A or with C-stick?

+ I noticed R/L are triggers, should I keep them semi-pressed to shield more easily? or just press it like that when I need it?

++++ I have no problem with practicing and playing, but I dont even know if I'm in the right way to play good and fast as other people, I try and try but can't really see improvements, maybe I'm not doing a cancel I should do, I really need help on this

Thank you if you can help me with at least one question :)

FrenkM0J0

Smash Apprentice
Arright
First off, I'd say it doesnt matter what button you use to jump with, as lons as its not directional stick up. I know some players change jump to l or r, but it really depends on personal preferance.
Furthermore, smash attacks are best executed with c stick, whenever you arent charging them.
Then with your improvement problems. Id suggest going to tournaments. Thats the best way. Get best real hard, and ask your opponent what you did wrong. Find people in real life to help you. Best place to find them is at tournaments, because 1 you can play others and 2 you can learn from them as opposed to online or on smashboards.
Lastly, could you maybe tell me what you mean with b-stick?
Thats what ive got to tell you, ask me id you have any other questions!

Top Bottom