• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

He'll teach you the ways of the Ninja! - Club Penguin Sensei for Smash

smash puffle

Smash Ace

"Long is the journey to Smash
With many wins and losses
We must learn from both"

Introduction:

The Sensei is a character from the popular yet discontinued online Flash game Club Penguin originally released in 2005. The Sensei would later appear in the game in 2008. He's among one of the most popular characters from the whole franchise, often called a mascot, next to other characters like Rockhopper or Cadence. He's an old penguin, colored gray with large eyebrows and and a white majestic beard.
He's the founder of the Dojo and the master of the card game/martial art known as Card-Jitsu. It was often associated with ninjas, and it had a huge enphasis on old Japanese culture.
Card-Jitsu was a card game on Club Penguin with rock-paper-scissors esque type gameplay. Instead of being just called rock paper scissors, it was 3 elements: Fire, Water and Snow. Besides the main game, there were 3 variations of it, based after each of the three elements.
Among all the minigames that were featured in Club Penguin when it was active, this was one of the most popular.

Club Penguin... In Super Smash Bros?

Yeah. Club Penguin has had a rather unfortunate history in the whole gaming landscape as of late.
Starting out as a rather fun and arguably revolutionary game for Flash games on the Web, on it's last few years it was mistreated, and often mocked online for being too childish and more often than not, it's pay-to-play principle that was implemented after the franchise got into the hands of Disney... But that is a discussion for another day.
So yeah... after the game got shut down in 2017 and was replaced with Club Penguin Island on the same year, the future doesn't look too bright. So I'm not expecting ANY Club Penguin characters to even get a mention in the new Smash Bros. thats coming out this year. Let's not also mention Club Penguin's lack of familiarity in Japan.
Let's not forget to mention that the series is owned by Disney. That could be a huge barrier for a CP character to be included in Smash. But, just like Sora from Kingdom Hearts, CP is not in the same level as Mickey Mouse in terms of popularity. After all, if Sega could put Wreck-it Ralph in their racing game, why not a CP character, heck, why not Sora as well? It wouldn't be necessarily expensive either.
Unless some miracle from God himself happens where Nintendo themselves buy a significant part of the whole Club Penguin IP and starts publishing games for the series, I'm not holding my breath.
This is more of a dream character for me honestly, so let's make another big "what if" here, shall we?

What's Club Penguin's history with Nintendo?
The Club Penguin series had 3 games released exclusively on Nintendo platforms. They've never been officially rereleased either on Nintendo's Virtual Console on Wii U or PC.
2 Nintendo DS games: Club Penguin: Elite Penguin Force (2008) and Club Penguin: EPF: Herbert's Revenge (2010) were released. They're point and click games similar to the Flash game's PSA Missions.
A Wii game: Club Penguin: Game Day! (2010) was released. It was a 4-player based party game.
All of these games could connect to the Internet to unlock special items into your Club Penguin account, back when the game and the Nintendo Wi-fi Connection were active.
As you can see, Club Penguin had a notable presence on Nintendo platforms, the first DS game sold about 3 million copies while the other games didn't sell as much, but still a respectable amount.
If a Club Penguin character could have a chance in Smash, it would fit in just fine because of it's silly and quirky nature, regardless of who it was. The series fits in with the other wacky series from the big N, if I'm being honest.

Why Sensei out of all the Club Penguin characters?
Club Penguin has a wide cast of characters. Like 5 of them would make unique fighters to represent the series in Smash Bros. The Sensei, being the most fitting for a fight. As a series representative, maybe other mascots might represent the series better, like Rockhopper, but I don't see him as a fighter and more of an Assist Trophy.
The second closest choice for me though, are the puffles, which I'm already planning on making a separate thread for. But how well can you represent a franchise about penguins without an actual penguin, right?
Besides, because of his big and obvious Japanese inspiration, he would be more welcome by Japanese players due to his Ninja and martial art skills, besides being just a cool old penguin.

How would he play in Smash?
Here's the fun part. As a master ninja, he would be a very agile fighter, with quick but effective moves, but being an old penguin would lead him more vulnerable to attacks after making a move because his endlag extends after doing too many moves all at once. His main form of attack would be his trusty staff. A wooden stick with decent attack and fairly long range. He will use it in all of his standard attacks like tilts, aerials and smash attacks. Grabs would rely on his own martial art skills, though.
What would make this guy unique compared to other fighters though, it's his Card-Jitsu.
Here's where his unique mechanics and specials come into play.
He has the ability to change his type of play, based on the element of Card-Jitsu he chooses. Similar to characters like Shulk or Little Mac, his element is displayed on the character portrait on the screen.
The Snow element would be the default (the one chosen automatically when a battle starts), and the balanced element. It has decent speed and decent attack. His specials would be snowball related too.
The Fire element would be the stronger, but slower one with fire based specials. And the Water element would be the weakest, but fastest move, with water based moves like Mario's FLUDD or Greninja's moves.
The Sensei can change between elements with his down special.
Kirby's Copy ability would be Sensei's neutral special, but with all 3 elements shot either at random or at a fixed cycle.
As for Final Smash, maybe the mysterious Card-Jitsu Shadow? Maybe.
In casual play, he would be pretty fun to play because of his move variations and overall coolness of having 3 elements in 1 character. In competitive play, his moves, his speed and all of his move variations would make him one of the most complex characters to develop in Ultimate, due to his options and easy change in priority thanks in part to his Card-Jitsu. If developed enough, he could end up in the higher tiers.
As for alternate palettes/skins, it would be cool to see skins based on his other robes from the other types of Card-Jitsu. Alternate skins for him without his robe would be neat too.

How can I support him?
You can tell you want to support him of course. That's enough for me. If you really want to though, you can come up with a moveset for him. Also alternate colors, stage, music, etc. You can also use the support icon provided below to show your support. More support icons and other misc stuff are welcome too.
Feel free to support him if you want to. As well you're also free to not support him, I will understand.
So is the Sensei, he's a very respectful and wise individual.

Support Icon:

Stock Icon:

Series Symbol:

Supporter List:
Supporters so far:
smash puffle (me)
Kirby Dragons
slambros
Llort A. Ton
SEGAGameBoy
AirMac1
Mrs. Milky

Thank you for reading and have a nice day! :)

Last edited:

Sir Ridley XII

Smash Cadet
Interesting, I'd like to hear more on the Disney situation and how drastically that could affect his chances.

A character which originated from a flash game would be hilarious yet pretty sweet.

Also, possible stage and music themes?

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I was actually going to make a support thread for the player penguin, but I decided not to finish it. I'm glad you stepped in and came out with a complete Club Penguin support thread.

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
I was never into Club Penguin. I was more of a Bloons Tower Defense and Poptropica guy. It would be funny to have a character originate from a flash game though.

slambros

Smash Ace
I played a lot of Club Penguin back in the day, and I admire the amount of dedication you put into making this thread. This is definitely an interesting possibility to imagine. I'm sure this would make a lot of Kingdom Hearts fans livid!

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Interesting, I'd like to hear more on the Disney situation and how drastically that could affect his chances.

A character which originated from a flash game would be hilarious yet pretty sweet.

Also, possible stage and music themes?
I updated the post to add the Disney stuff in a small paragraph.
As for stages, the Dojo is the only one I can think of. The place leads to 3 different dojos based on the elements, so it could cycle between them like Castle Siege or Delphino.

In terms of music, there's some examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiBqRTXyuH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zN1NVkXKZI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGAk_jhWzNk

smash puffle

Smash Ace
In the light of the new game's proper reveal, I came up with a couple of new ideas for this guy, as other CP related ideas.
-In terms of Sensei's moves, the neutral special has either him throwing snowballs, water balloons or shooting super spicy hot sauce, each corresponding to each element.
-Since the down special makes Sensei change his Card-Jitsu element, he can choose it wherever he wants just like how Shulk does it now in the new game.
-His down air could give him a risky, but deadly spike type move where he uses his staff as a pogo-stick. If he misses an opponent with it , he can't cancel it and has a risk of falling down the stage. He can do this maximum 3 times. After doing this 3 times, you no longer fall down, but the move becomes very weak. This move is paying a homage to Duck Tales on the NES.
-Final Smash could be a culmination of all 3 Card-Jitsu types. They're all represented as gigantic animals/mythical creatures. Snow could be a Yeti, Water can be either a massive fish (that may or may not look like a Mullet fish from the game), and at the end a phoenix, all 3 ambushing at foes in sequence with a cel-shaded/Okami like visuals.

For misc stuff:
-The Tallest Mountain from the PSA Missions/DS games could be a stage, where it moves upwards like Icicle Mountain in Melee. The place was featured in the first PSA Missions in the Flash game, and in the DS games, it held some very important story elements to both games, so it could be good enough. The stage resets after reaching the peak and stays there for a while.
This could represent the PSA/EPF aspect of Club Penguin well, with some of the DS game's music too (with some cool remixes).
-In terms of assist trophies, Rockhopper is the first one I can think of. He's the most iconic mascot, albeit he doesn't seem to fit as a fighter to me. Then Jet Pack Guy. He can fly around anywhere and tackle foes and would he a little tricky to hit and KO. Jef the Ref from Game Day shows up, he calls teams with his whistle and Colored teams show up in front of the stage like a Nintendog and shoot a bunch of O'Berries, referencing the Feed a Puffle minigame from Game Day. The last one I can think of are the Probots from EPF where they cause pure chaos and annoy enemies. Maybe also Herbert, but... (i want him as a fighter).

All in all, I'm really excited for this new game, regardless if any of the characters I want and make threads for make it in or not.

EDIT: Updated OP to include stock icons in the style of Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

smash puffle

Smash Ace
I feel very sad about the fate of CP. This game really means so much to me, and seeing it go away just like this is so depressing.
Now its only the fans that keep the series alive... unless either Nintendo themselves or some other company steps in and buys the property (hoping its the former), and doesn't mess it up.

Sorry for the double post, by the way, but this news is too important for me to not make a new post.

I will definitely make an illustrated moveset for all 3 CP characters now, just to prove people that a Club Penguin character could work in Smash and it isn't just one of those meme fighter requests.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Actually, now that I think of it, a Club Penguin world in KH would be amazing, especially since Disney kinda ended Club Penguin. It's a shame, I had fun with it back in the day.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
I made a list of Club Penguin spirits. The EPF Agents (the first two spirits) are Fighter Spirits, but the list wouldn't be too different if the Sensei was playable instead.
clubpenguinspiritlist.png

smash puffle

Smash Ace
What do you mean by that? At this point I don't think having a Nintendo presence matters, I mean it helps a bit, but I don't think it's a requirement.
OK SO A HISTORIC DISCOVERY HAS BEEN FOUND.
Club Penguin - Elite Penguin Force (USA) (Penguinz) (v1.0)_52_27863.png

In the newsletter feature in EPF on the DS, you could get new updates to the newsletter when the game was new (which required an internet connection). One of these newsletters featured the Sensei. 11 years later and I had no idea this happened.
Does this count? Probably. I mean it's just a cameo, but hey, it's SOMETHING.

Lisbon Mapping

Smash Apprentice
Oh hey! Nice :)
Now I have less reservations about him appearing in Smash.
And to reply to your earlier question, no fighter in Smash is lacking a Nintendo appearance. I don't think a character without a Nintendo appearance deserves to be in imo.

Last edited:

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Today marks the 15th anniversary of Club Penguin!
This series means a lot to me, so I'll be celebrating in many ways.
Hopefully I'll finish a special Smash X Club Penguin video probably by next week before the month is over.

EDIT: Here it is!

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
While the Disney situation is tricky, Club Penguin has better chances of being represented in Smash than Kingdom Hearts. As far as I can tell, Club Penguin doesn't have any movie characters. Okay, so there is a Disney Shop selling movie-inspired clothes. Hopefully that's all the movie related stuff in it right? Club Penguin is not banking off of Mickey Mouse's popularity like Kingdom Hearts is or exploring movie worlds, right? And Disney didn't always own Club Penguin. Disney bought it in 2007, so for two years it had absolutely nothing to do with Disney. But I never played Club Penguin, so I don't know. I'm just browsing a bit of it's wiki. But it's looking more like the Akira Toriyama's Hero case than something to prove Sora's chance in Smash. Oh wait, the wiki does have some characters from Star Wars, Frozen, Muppets and Zootopia. But the Star Wars and Frozen characters are penguins dressed like the characters, almost like Angry Birds Star Wars? Well, Kingdom Hearts still has way more Disney content and Donald & Goofy are almost always by Sora's side. Mega Man and Ryu has appeared in Marvel fighting games and that didn't stop them from appearing in Smash. Cloud has appeared in Kingdom Hearts. But at least they have started in games without fourth-party characters. Though being an online game, is Club Penguin the only game in the franchise? Well, the Disney stuff only came through updates like DLC. Kingdom Hearts always had Disney content since the first game released. Um... Yeah, Disney newcomer threads are so awkward.

Top Bottom