• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Curious Volnutt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theOmni1337
The fire emblem debate in general has alot more 'filler' mostly with arguing among itself. Same thing with a large number of the larger character threads. I think it says something that we aren't trying to stuff this thread full of nonesense for the sake of making it seem larger then it is.
We need filler. Quick! Someone start a pointless argument!

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
The fire emblem debate in general has alot more 'filler' mostly with arguing among itself. Same thing with a large number of the larger character threads. I think it says something that we aren't trying to stuff this thread full of nonesense for the sake of making it seem larger then it is.
Good point. The FE section has half a dozen characters that numerous camps are jostling over while here it's unanimous that Shulk will be the one to represent his franchise. Then you got the titan thread of Ridley, which is in a class all of its own, plain and simple.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Rosalina definitely looks 10x bigger than Ridley, at least. :p

Anyway, I don't know enough about Xenoblade to say I can actively support Shulk, but he does seem like he would have an interesting moveset. Though I can just watch videos for what all his moves are for research, but I was wondering about his general stats; Is he slow on his feet, does he use his attack power to offset a bad defense, would be be great in the air, would he have any special mechanics like Mac, Rosalina, WFT and Villager, those kind of things.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Good point. The FE section has half a dozen characters that numerous camps are jostling over while here it's unanimous that Shulk will be the one to represent his franchise. Then you got the titan thread of Ridley, which is in a class all of its own, plain and simple.
To be fair the Ridley thread has the same problems just on a wider scale involving alot of circular debates, pointless sidetracking, and an actual effort to intentionally making the thread longer. It's just so large that people are overwhelmed and make assumptions that it's bigger deal then it actually is.

Honesty I don't think having the larger threads mean that the character is more desirable then another, it does to a certain point but things like the Ridley thread have shown it can been bloated beyond that scale.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I'm sure some of you must have seen the occasional comment, "I SAW A MECHON TROPHY IN SMASH RUN" no proof.

If this turns out to be true then I think Shulk is pretty much in. Well I think he is in now, but I'll be that much more confident.
So 90% --> 95%

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Actually, I haven't heard of anything about Xenoblade stuff in the game yet, even less so than the "Chunky Kong is an AT" rumor.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Rosalina definitely looks 10x bigger than Ridley, at least. :p

Anyway, I don't know enough about Xenoblade to say I can actively support Shulk, but he does seem like he would have an interesting moveset. Though I can just watch videos for what all his moves are for research, but I was wondering about his general stats; Is he slow on his feet, does he use his attack power to offset a bad defense, would be be great in the air, would he have any special mechanics like Mac, Rosalina, WFT and Villager, those kind of things.
He can build his "party gauge" to be able to use monado arts, and he can also see into the future. We've discussed ways to incorporate both of these things as mechines at one point or another in this thread.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I'm sure some of you must have seen the occasional comment, "I SAW A MECHON TROPHY IN SMASH RUN" no proof.

If this turns out to be true then I think Shulk is pretty much in. Well I think he is in now, but I'll be that much more confident.
So 90% --> 95%
I assume you mean at the end where they show your trophies.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
There will probably be Mechon trophies for sure, I think Senselessbreak is lying though even though it's likely to happen.
Kinda wish I paid attention to the trophies I picked up in Smash Run now lol. Mechon trophies, as said though, wouldn't mean anything.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Kinda wish I paid attention to the trophies I picked up in Smash Run now lol. Mechon trophies, as said though, wouldn't mean anything.
At least we would know that there's some kind of representation in Smash.
After all we may not see Shulk till the Japanese release.
Unless he's revealed in the next direct.

Neo Zero

At least we would know that there's some kind of representation in Smash.
After all we may not see Shulk till the Japanese release.
Unless he's revealed in the next direct.
I sure hope so. Nothing against Chorus and Chrom, but I really want that Xenohype injected into Sm4sh soon.

Neo Zero

Chugga's rifle's getting hotter!

I know this isn't exactly the place to ask, but a lot of you seem to be Chugga fans. Tbh, I've never heard of him til I saw him mentioned here earlier this week. What are some of the LP's he's done before and what would you recommend? I'd like to check him out, and I'd rather watch a complete LP first (the only LPer I've ever watched before is HCBailey).

Last edited:

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
EarthBound and Mother 3, Luigi's Mansion, and especially the Pikmin LPs. There's also the vids he does as a member of The Runaway Guys, where they do Mario Party, Mario Kart, and so on.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I know this isn't exactly the place to ask, but a lot of you seem to be Chugga fans. Tbh, I've never heard of him til I saw him mentioned here earlier this week. What are some of the LP's he's done before and what would you recommend? I'd like to check him out, and I'd rather watch a complete LP first (the only LPer I've ever watched before is HCBailey).
I'd recommend the Okami LP he has some good insight into Japanese culture.
But if you want another RPG you could pick from one of his many Pokemon LP's.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Chugga's done... a lot of stuff. He mostly does Nintendo games, I'd recommend the Pikmin games, the Pokemon games and Link's Awakening. Full list in the spoiler:
Completed
  • #1 Earthbound (SNES/GBA/WiiU) March 26th, 2008 - June 10th, 2008 (99 episodes)
  • #2 Mother (Famicom/GBA - Japan only) June 13th, 2008 - July 27th, 2008 (March 30th, 2011) (37 episodes)
  • #3 Paper Mario (N64/Wii) August 1st, 2008 - September 23rd, 2008 (85 episodes)
  • #4 Super Mario RPG (SNES/Wii) September 25th, 2008 - November 25th, 2008 (61 episodes)
  • #5 Mother 3 (GBA - Japan only) October 17th, 2008 - Feburary 17th, 2009 (108 episodes)
  • #6 Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (GCN) Feburary 27th, 2009 - May 25th, 2009 (86 episodes)
  • #7 Pokémon FireRed & LeafGreen (GBA) June 1st, 2009 - November 24th, 2009 (62 episodes)
  • #8 Super Mario Sunshine (GCN) August 9th, 2009 - October 29th, 2009 (37 episodes)
  • #9 The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GCN) December 1st, 2009 - Feburary 23rd, 2010 (76 episodes)
  • #10 Pokémon Crystal (GBC) March 13th, 2010 - July 5th, 2010 (64 episodes)
  • #11 Super Luigi Galaxy (Wii) August 6th, 2010 - October 30th, 2010 (44 episodes)
  • #12 Pikmin (GCN/Wii) August 22nd, 2010 - October 20th, 2010 (18 episodes)
  • #13 Okami (PS2/Wii/PS3) December 14th, 2010 - May 22nd, 2011 (76 episodes)
  • #14 Luigi's Mansion (GCN) May 29th, 2011 - August 3rd, 2011 (17 episodes)
  • #15 Pikmin 2 (GCN/Wii) May 30th, 2011 - September 4th, 2011 (50 episodes)
  • #16 The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64/GCN/Wii) September 30th, 2011 - December 5th, 2011 (55 episodes)
  • #17 Pokémon Emerald (GBA) January 5th, 2012 - March 30th, 2012 (65 episodes)
  • #18 Super Paper Mario (Wii) April 26th, 2012 - July 15th, 2012 (59 episodes)
  • #19 Okamiden (DS) August 9th, 2012 - November 5th, 2012 (70 episodes)
  • #20 Kirby's Epic Yarn (Wii) November 30th, 2012 - December 24th 2012 (27 Episodes)
  • #21 Pokémon Colosseum (GCN) January 8th, 2013 - April 5th, 2013 (45 Episodes)
  • #22 The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (GB/GBC/3DS) April 21st, 2013 - June 24, 2013 (29 Episodes)
  • #23 Super Mario 64 DS (DS) April 23rd, 2013 - August 2nd, 2013 (38 Episodes + 2 Interactive Videos)
  • #24 Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS) September 6th, 2013 - October 30th, 2013 (30 Episodes)
  • #25 Sonic Colors (Wii/DS) September 7th, 2013 - October 22nd, 2013 (13 Episodes)
  • #27 Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness (GCN) Febuary 8th, 2014 - April 18th, 2014 (45 Episodes)
Ongoing
  • #26 Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS) November 18th, 2013 - December 31st, 2013 (For the Main LP, but will continue for the following year on Holidays and other events until October 31st, 2014)
  • #28 Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) June 14th, 2014 -
EDIT: Yeah, this was copy-pasted off http://letsplay.wikia.com/wiki/Chuggaaconroy directly. Edited so that it's not as dumb looking.
Also, 180th post and I've managed to get over 500 likes already! wooooo

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Chuggaa's doing Xenoblade now? I honestly didn't know that until now.

...Oh, sorry, I forgot to introduce myself. I've been a quiet supporter of Shulk for quite some time now, even before Sal Romano leaked him. While I've never bothered to try out Xenoblade before, I have paid attention to the Operation Rainfall campaign and hoped that their support for localization would come to fruition.

Well, things are looking quite bright for Shulk fans right now. Let's hope it doesn't come crashing down into oblivion.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
The Robin thread has more posts then here.

I'm not sure how to feel about that honestly...
I think it's great. But don't worry about it. The Robin thread's post count is overtaking a lot of threads at the moment. This thread isn't the only one.

By the way, I have a question for all you Xenoblade fans here. I'm something of a fan of RPG games, and I've been a bit interested in getting my hands on Xenoblade. Would you all recommend it, and do you think it's a good game for an RPG fan to check out? Kind of a redundant question to ask here, I suppose...

Last edited:

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
I think it's great. But don't worry about it. The Robin thread's post count is overtaking a lot of threads at the moment. This thread isn't the only one.

By the way, I have a question for all you Xenoblade fans here. I'm something of a fan of RPG games, and I've been a bit interested in getting my hands on Xenoblade. Would you all recommend it, and do you think it's a good game for an RPG fan to check out? Kind of a redundant question to ask here, I suppose...
IF you can get your hands on it, absolutely. It's amazing.
If you can't get your hands on it normally, Chugga's actually giving away some copies on facebook and twitter so check those out I guess. If all else fails, at least X comes out next year.

Jarelo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jarelo
Reyn's the real hero! I can see it now... In his trailer he throws himself into the battle yelling: "It's Reyn time!". Or, if not Reyn, it could be Dunban. He would be the most broken character, being able to dodge all attacks with that ridiculous agility and be able to still do lots of damage.

D

Deleted member

Yes. I highly recommend Xenoblade Chronicles for any RPG fan. It's a fantastic game with great characters, amazing music, and beautiful and gigantic areas. If you see Xenoblade in a GameStop, try to get it as soon as you possibly can!

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
I disagree with you vehemently! We do not need filler! And since I think I am so smart, I will treat that as empirical proof that I am right and any other point of view that differs from mine are less valid! And for good measure, I will use exclamation points!!! Name-calling! CAPSLOCK!!!

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Reyn's the real hero! I can see it now... In his trailer he throws himself into the battle yelling: "It's Reyn time!". Or, if not Reyn, it could be Dunban. He would be the most broken character, being able to dodge all attacks with that ridiculous agility and be able to still do lots of damage.
Dunban is the only character that I know of who gets stronger because he isn't wearing pants...or a shirt for that matter. Talk about fan service. :awesome:

Jarelo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jarelo
Dunban is the only character that I know of who gets stronger because he isn't wearing pants...or a shirt for that matter. Talk about fan service. :awesome:
You can't equip the gems that make him faster if he isn't wearing clothes! Your post is making me think of doing a no-clothes run of Xenoblade... I'm really tempted right now.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I actually am surprised Shulk is uncontroversial as he seemed to be most of the time. Though admittedly that may be less to do with Shulk having no detractors and more to do with his smaller general visibility. As far as his series is concerned he also really has no competition for possible Smash Character which normally lends itself to the FE and even the DK prospect. Nor does he have attributes which make people dismiss them such as Ridley detractors tend to do.

It's kind of weird really, Shulk has enough acclaim to not be dismissed as not possible as character from Nintendo Lesser IPs tend to be but just enough out of the limelight where he doesn't draw a huge amount of attention to draw in a large number of detractors.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Found this while searching for stuff that was in the Smash demo. :laugh:

Interesting, probably needs to be slightly shorten as it's probably just a bit too long. Definitely fits tough.

Last edited:

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
The song isn't related to SSB4. It's just what someone thinks his victory theme would be.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was a joke.

To be fair, I've made the same mistake before. So nothing personal/deliberately malicious, just toyin' around.

Either way, the Victory Theme sounds great, I wouldn't complain if the real deal sounded like it xD

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
So, I'm still a bit clueless about how the arts actually work in Xenoblade Chronicles, but it looks like there's loads of them for the characters, so I was thinking: would Shulk be a Palutena-like character with multiple different kinds of special attacks based on his arts?

Last edited:

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
So, I'm still a bit clueless about how the arts actually work in Xenoblade Chronicles, but it looks like there's loads of them for the characters, so I was thinking: would Shulk be a Palutena-like character with multiple different kinds of attacks based on his arts?
I was thinking that, actually. It would be a really good idea for him, in my opinion. Perhaps someone who knows the game better than me would like to whip up a moveset taking that into account xD

Blue Rogue

Smash Ace
NNID
ValiantVyse
3DS FC
4527-9345-8740
So, I'm still a bit clueless about how the arts actually work in Xenoblade Chronicles, but it looks like there's loads of them for the characters, so I was thinking: would Shulk be a Palutena-like character with multiple different kinds of special attacks based on his arts?
eh, you could get away with something like this, but a lot of the moves would have to be so gimmicky to be worth it. Like Shaker Edge would have to cause pitfall or something to try to emulate Daze as otherwise it's just some slow spin? but that just sounds silly. Same deal with Slit Edge/Air Slash/Eater/Back Slash... Then you're getting into Light Heal/Shield/Speed...which sound weird to me as Smash moves, and Palutena already did Speed lel. I'd like the animations worked into normals maybe, like Shaker Edge or Stream Edge animation as a fsmash, Air Slash Fair idk. Some Talent Gauge mechanic where hitting with normals would let a move like a Slit Edge special change into Eater or something when it's full sounds cute though.

Also that theme is boss. Totally hoping it uses that song now.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Just finished watching Chugga's part 2 and HOLY CRAP! I forgot about Shulk's first vision that shows a TON of stuff in the future, towards end of the game. Crazy stuff. I'm enjoying watching Chugga's play through so i can experience Xenoblade again through already knowing eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom