• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
By the way, even if you don't get how skill trees work, make sure to switch to a new one if you max one out. You don't lose the bonuses from a tree if you switch to a new tree after learning them, so there is no reason not to.
I'm familiar with skill trees (League player) but i don't get how they work for this game.

Severn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1478-4772-7152
I'm familiar with skill trees (League player) but i don't get how they work for this game.
It's fairly basic. Look up a basic explanation for them. This a good one on the Xenoblade wiki. You should learn skill trees because they will help greatly. When you start to mix and match skills that complement each other that is when you break the game.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
What I was trying to get at is that, unlike a lot of other games with skill or talent trees, you do not lose any of your buffs when switching from one tree to another.

Basically when you defeat enemies in the game, you get SP points in addition to EXP (and AP, but that's for something else.) The SP points go towards unlocking skills in the tree you select in the skill tree menu. These skills are usually passive ability buffs and are automatically unlocked in the order they appear. You max out a skill tree when you get the highest possible skill from the tree. At that point, all SP you get from battles doesn't contribute to your character in anyway. If you switch to a different skill tree though, you retain ALL of the passive buffs you already had from the skill tree you completed and can earn even more skills from your second, third, fourth, and fifth trees.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Oh. I should probably switch trees since i've been sitting on the same one all game....Also, really dumb question, but what are affinity coins?

Severn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1478-4772-7152
Oh. I should probably switch trees since i've been sitting on the same one all game....Also, really dumb question, but what are affinity coins?
They're used to link skills to other characters. If you want to give a character another characters' skill it will cost affinity coins. The better the skill the more the cost of coins. Each character has a limited amount of coins. It's impossible to get all the affinity coins in 1 playthrough. You get them from finding locations and defeating unique monsters for the first time (E.g if you defeat a unique monster you will get 1 coin for each character, if you defeat the same unique monster again you won't get a another coin.)

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
They're used to link skills to other characters. If you want to give a character another characters' skill it will cost affinity coins. The better the skill the more the cost of coins. Each character has a limited amount of coins. It's impossible to get all the affinity coins in 1 playthrough.
Wait. So i could in theory give something like Heal Round to Shulk?

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
No, no, it's only the passive skills (as opposed to active abilities/arts), like the ability to equip higher weights of armor or increase attack damage during day/night, etc etc

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
No, but you could give people some really useful skills, for example, Dunban has some skills naturally that increase agility if you're not wearing any gear. Melia has a skill that increases all stats if you don't have any gems. You can give Dunban Melia's no gem skill, and if you are already running a build with no gear then the no gem bonus is extra awesome since you're not giving much up for it. There are also skills for extra dodge, or endurance, or even better drop rates for rare chests and exp increases. It's a pretty deep system all in all.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Considering i'm basically at the end of the game, it's not really worth it for me to delve into the system. When X comes out though....

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Considering i'm basically at the end of the game, it's not really worth it for me to delve into the system. When X comes out though....
I wouldn't worry about ability links, but change your skill trees at least. You've still got a few more levels in you, after all.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Wii Fit Trainer.

When she was revealed for Smash Bros, all the Wii Fit series had was the original, and an extension of the original with small amounts of new content (so basically a remake with a few new things). I hardly call that a "series". Yeah, Wii Fit U recently came out, but that was after Wii Fit Trainer got revealed. Just like X is going to come out after Shulk gets revealed.

Not being a part of a "series" is a terrible argument to exclude a character, and certainly not one that will keep a character out of the game. Shulk is unique, from a critically acclaimed game, and is popular for Smash. What more do you want from the character?

If you don't like him, that's fine. But don't make up bad reasons to exclude him.
Wii Fit is a sub-series of Wii. Wii Fit Trainer is Yoshi 2.0 and the sales of that game are considerably higher than Xenoblade.

D

Deleted member

Wii Fit is a sub-series of Wii. Wii Fit Trainer is Yoshi 2.0 and the sales of that game are considerably higher than Xenoblade.
Did you read a single thing that Scoliosis Jones said?

We get it; you are biased against Shulk. We understand that Isaac is competition; we didn't forget about this at all. However, most of your points just seem like you are trying to grasp at several straws, as if you are trying to tell yourself that Shulk is incredibly unjustifiable for Smash. Stop creating this commotion here, stop throwing barbed wires, and stop initiating flame wars.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
You know, Xenoblade did actually surpass Nintendo's expectations sales wise, which is why X was green lit. It's not like we're talking about Captain Rainbow or anything.

Last edited:

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Cue smash icon slash, except a blue aura shines from the cross section. Through a blue haze and with muddled sound, we see glimpses of a blond-haired figure with a beam sword running through a field only to be flung by a rocky crag erupting beneath him. The vision rewinds, and we see the swordsman feint left this time, and suddenly being whipped by a thick vine. Rewinding again, the swordsman jumps over the erupting rock this time, and lands safely before his foe. The blue aura dissipates and we are finally get a good look at our battler. "Shulk changes his fate!" He smirks and takes off across the field once again and successfully leaps over the rocky pyre and slashes the vine coming at him in two. He rests the Monado upon his shoulder and raises an eyebrow at his opponent challengingly. The camera pans around to show the other combatant. "Isaac shakes things up!" As he draws his sword with a grin, an earthquaking ripple runs before him as he charges. Shulk leaps into the air and spins, and just as his sword is about to clash against Isaac's... Gameplay footage!

With all the back and for on the two, and the fact that I would enjoy either/both of them, I thought that a joint reveal trailer would be amazing.
This belongs in both threads, I believe.

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
What would be a fitting alternate costume for Shulk?
I'd imagine you could just give him a few swaps to his other armours, especially the ones that are already color swaps of his standards.
Though I REALLY want one of his alts to have the Monado Replica. That way he isn't wielding a sword that... Ya know. Allows an evil god to possess him. Also, to be honest, I kinda like the look of the Monado replica better. Maybe for his green team costume?

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I'd imagine you could just give him a few swaps to his other armours, especially the ones that are already color swaps of his standards.
Though I REALLY want one of his alts to have the Monado Replica. That way he isn't wielding a sword that... Ya know. Allows an evil god to possess him. Also, to be honest, I kinda like the look of the Monado replica better. Maybe for his green team costume?
That would work fine.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
You know, Xenoblade did actually surpass Nintendo's expectations sales wise, which is why X was green lit. It's not like we're talking about Captain Rainbow or anything.
Yeah. Around 700.000 copies is a good number of sales for a wii game. Xenoblade with over than 800.000 copies sold is great.
Did you read a single thing that Scoliosis Jones said?

We get it; you are biased against Shulk. We understand that Isaac is competition; we didn't forget about this at all. However, most of your points just seem like you are trying to grasp at several straws, as if you are trying to tell yourself that Shulk is incredibly unjustifiable for Smash. Stop creating this commotion here, stop throwing barbed wires, and stop initiating flame wars.
Let me tell you something. Do you know what was the first thing i said in Isaac thread? I argumentated why Isaac was not going to be in the game. I dedicated many posts attacking Dark Dawn. And i said that i didnt wanted Golden Sun representation in SSB4, not even a sticker, specially if this is related to the 3rd title. And I'm a Golden Sun fan. After all those games are part of my childhood, an important part of it. You may think that i hate Xenoblade and Shulk. But that is false. Actually i played the beginning of Xenoblade and I watched more parts of the game through YouTube. Spoilers are not annoying for me. Definitely Xenoblade is a good game and i understand why people want Shulk to be included. In fact, I see that as something likely. If I had to say make an estimation... 60% are the Shulk chances of being playable in SSB4. That is much more that I think about Isaac (30%). In the past, in some of those Isaac vs Shulk discussions. I eventually noticed that my arguments were "why Isaac deserves more" rather than "why Isaac chances are higher"

Anyway im not here for Isaac. But if you mention him. Im going to respond to that message.

Now lets try a different perspective. I readed here that only Shulk can represent Monolith soft. Why? Nintendo wants to promote the Wii U and X. Pit in SSBB was a catapult to Kid Icarus Uprising. They could try to do the same with X and SSB4. What if Takahashi specifically requests KOS-MOS, after all Namco Bandai is in the development of SSB4 and it wouldnt be the first time that a character is added due a personal petition.

Hype Train

Woolly World hype!!
NNID
YesMann
3DS FC
0860-3788-1263
Well, Wii Fit used to sell more than Xenoblade. It's not doing so hot nowadays, I'm afraid...

*(Yeah, I know, "Chartzzz!!" Point is, Wii Fit U sold abysmally even though it was bundled in Japan and offered for free alongside the purchase of the pedometer).

Anyway, this whole argument is really dumb. Knock it off, all of you.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Well, Wii Fit used to sell more than Xenoblade. It's not doing so hot nowadays, I'm afraid...

*(Yeah, I know, "Chartzzz!!" Point is, Wii Fit U sold abysmally even though it was bundled in Japan and offered for free alongside the purchase of the pedometer).

Vgchartz has some trouble tracking digital sales, and I would imagine most purchases would be pedometer upgrades.

Why am I even responding to this? No more Wii Fit talk in the Shulk thread!

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I think you have to consider the audience of Smash Bros. Even if Wii Fit has sold like hotcakes that doesn't mean there's a large overlap of interest between the two series. Xenoblade clearly has a larger (and more passionate) overlap of interest with Smash Bros.

Anyhoo, it's getting close to E3. Shulk would make for a perfect surprise reveal.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I support. Though I guess the support list hasn't been updated much because I'm sure more then ten users here support him.

D

Deleted member

I support. Though I guess the support list hasn't been updated much because I'm sure more then ten users here support him.
Yeah, the support list hasn't been updated in quite some time...

To be honest, today's Pic of the Day put a damper on me for E3. I wanna see Shulk... but now I am thinking that we are going to see Pac-Man and Chrom.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman

Thats a Wii U effect. Wii U is the Titanic of Nintendo. Wii Fit target audience is atypical. Now you combine that with the low sales of Wii U.
I think you have to consider the audience of Smash Bros. Even if Wii Fit has sold like hotcakes that doesn't mean there's a large overlap of interest between the two series. Xenoblade clearly has a larger (and more passionate) overlap of interest with Smash Bros.

Anyhoo, it's getting close to E3. Shulk would make for a perfect surprise reveal.
"Interest" clearly means little to Sakurai. E3 is not a good moment to reveal Shulk. Mostly because most of the audience is going to react like "wait... who is this guy?". And in the E3 you need something like Pac-Man or Ridley.

R_Trigger

Smash Cadet
Wait, so now if a character is "too unknown" that's a reason why they shouldn't show up at E3? Well then, I guess Sakurai made a huge mistake revealing Pit at E3 2006 and WFT at E3 2013. But no, seriously, obscurity should in no way be a reason why a potential candidate cannot be revealed at E3, that's just silly.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
It doesn't matter- he'll get revealed after a tie-in with the new X trailer. Two birds, one stone. Also, i played some last night and
got the Monado Armor and have activated two of the four switches in the mechonis capital
Thanks to @ Spazzy_D Spazzy_D for the help!

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Wait, so now if a character is "too unknown" that's a reason why they shouldn't show up at E3? Well then, I guess Sakurai made a huge mistake revealing Pit at E3 2006 and WFT at E3 2013. But no, seriously, obscurity should in no way be a reason why a potential candidate cannot be revealed at E3, that's just silly.
Those E3 were different. The distance between this E3 and the release of the game is 2 months at maximum. You need star characters to create hype. And in that situation, no, is not a good idea to reveal Shulk because it would be just part of the background rather than the main attention. And that is not possitive for Xenoblade, because they are going to forgot about Shulk in the next 5 minutes. Instead, if Shulk is a secret character, without the brainkillerE3hype they may decide to check who Shulk actually is. Ok nothing of this makes sense at all, im out of ideas.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Shulk is a hype character regardless of if you know him or not. No one is going to forget any of the characters revealed at E3... I had no idea who Pit was and now Kid Icarus is one of my favorite franchises. Little Mac is similarly popular. Hardly any of my friends knew who he was, but everyone is excited to play as him. To a lessor extent, I had no idea who Greninja was since I stopped playing Pokemon in gen 3, but it is hard to deny that he's a cool character. Rosalina, I knew her and would have never guessed she would be in, but her move set is unique and great. Sakurai has done an amazing job with the newcomer trailers. If you actually read a good portion of this thread (which I doubt) you'd have faith in Shulk as numerous supporters and even those who do not frequent the thread have made convincing arguments. Smash Bros serves as the gateway drug to other Nintendo Franchises....Biggest example is Fire Emblem. X needs all the exposure it can in order to maximize sales and hype, so what better way to do so than with one of the most well known video game franchises and arguably the biggest presence at E3, Smash Bros. If X is as good as Xenoblade, then the franchise is definitely going to be seen as the modern Mother or Earthbound or gain what you refer to as star power. In terms of star power for E3 hype, I'd argue Villager and WFT were not hype worthy, but that's just my opinion and I respect other's decision to disagree. Obviously I'm not claiming Shulk is a definitive E3 reveal, but I think there is a good chance and I'm confident he is in the game.

There's my long response after not replying to this after the past few pages.

In other news, here is a random Xenoblade quiz that places you as a character. http://www.theotaku.com/quizzes/view/3018/which_xenoblade_character_are_you?

I got Shulk.. yay for me. Although I don't like the picture, it is fitting considering he is my favorite character in the game.

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Shulk is a hype character regardless of if you know him or not. No one is going to forget any of the characters revealed at E3... I had no idea who Pit was and now Kid Icarus is one of my favorite franchises. Little Mac is similarly popular. Hardly any of my friends knew who he was, but everyone is excited to play as him. To a lessor extent, I had no idea who Greninja was since I stopped playing Pokemon in gen 3, but it is hard to deny that he's a cool character. Rosalina, I knew her and would have never guessed she would be in, but her move set is unique and great. Sakurai has done an amazing job with the newcomer trailers. If you actually read a good portion of this thread (which I doubt) you'd have faith in Shulk as numerous supporters and even those who do not frequent the thread have made convincing arguments. Smash Bros serves as the gateway drug to other Nintendo Franchises....Biggest example is Fire Emblem. X needs all the exposure it can in order to maximize sales and hype, so what better way to do so than with one of the most well known video game franchises and arguably the biggest presence at E3, Smash Bros. If X is as good as Xenoblade, then the franchise is definitely going to be seen as the modern Mother or Earthbound or gain what you refer to as star power. In terms of star power for E3 hype, I'd argue Villager and WFT were not hype worthy, but that's just my opinion and I respect other's decision to disagree. Obviously I'm not claiming Shulk is a definitive E3 reveal, but I think there is a good chance and I'm confident he is in the game.

In other news, here is a random Xenoblade quiz that places you as a character. http://www.theotaku.com/quizzes/view/3018/which_xenoblade_character_are_you?

I got Shulk.. yay for me. Although I don't like the picture, it is fitting considering he is my favorite character in the game.
Melia. :)

I'm not nearly as composed as she is though. lol

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805

Dope.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
During that quiz, I used the minimum three positive traits and five negative traits. Self-esteem, where you at?

Unsurprising, considering my habits, mannerisms, personality, and even my appearance to a degree are all pretty similar to Shulk's. I've actually had some thoughts recently that if I were to get into cosplay at any point (which is admittedly unlikely), Shulk would be a prime choice for me.

...Suddenly I want Shulk even more now that I've thought about this.

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
*High fives Brawler, Pega-pony Princess and GM*
Team Melia represent!

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy

Well... that was unexpected. I like Reyn, but I would never have guessed he'd be my result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom