• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heh-hey it's the Dark Matter thread!

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'd be OK with Dark Matter as a second Kirby newcomer, but I'd want Bandana Dee first and foremost.

Also wouldn't mind Daroach, and even Sectonia if she'd work in playable form (I really want her in the game regardless, be it boss or assist)

When it comes to Kirby newcomers, it's basically just a big no no for Adeline and everyone else would be cool as long as Bandana Dee gets in first.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
So, there's some interesting news involving a famitsu scan that may or may not contain late-game spoilers, it's probably not that late in the game since they're showing it off but just to be safe...
Scan-03.jpg
Mild Nightmare Fuel.jpg

So this scans' got a better image of that thing we saw earlier, and we can now very clearly see that it has an eye. It's overall shape is very reminiscent of Star Dream and Zero. It also looks like it's an castle, and it's safe to assume this is the base of operations for the new antagonists. Also, Pon and Con have returned for the first time ever since Dreamland 3, which is great because they're Shimomura's characters, if HAL's comfortable using them they shouldn't have any problem with using Dark Matter or Adeleine. But hey, did you see that lovely mural behind Pon and Con?

Spooky.jpg

How friendly looking and definitely not at all ominous! No but really, it looks... familiar. But that eye could be anything right?

Anyway, this new tweet came out hinting at something pretty cool.
Francisca's theme song is called "Prayer song to God", which makes it pretty clear and obvious that the new antagonists really are some sort of religious cult. I think it's safe to assume that their "god" is related to the eye on their hat and the ones they've slapped onto all their murals everywhere. You know, the Dark Matter and Zero-esque ones...

Honestly, given that this is basically Kirby Dreamland 3's anniversary, and we're getting all these ominous eyes of doom everywhere, I think we might actually get Zero Three this game, and I wouldn't be shocked at all to see Dark Matter this time around. Keep in mind that nothing's c0nfirm3d, but it's looking more and more likely each day that Dark Matter's going to be relevant again very soon.

GonzaGears

HEMA Noob
NNID
ebr1198
I'm at a loss for words right now. If Zero returns, not only will it be the greatest return in video game history (in my opinion), but Dark Matter would indeed have a shot at getting in Smash.

I need to contain the hype before I'm let down.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
All I have to say is that Star Allies is looking great so far.

And if "you know what" is the case, I would be all excited.

D

Deleted member

Calling it - Stars Aligned will sell two million or more copies.

Zerp Zerp *waits in anticipation*

Feeling pretty optimistic about this if I say so myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
I want SO BAD :D. Dark Matter's one of my favorite Nintendo villains (Honestly a lot of it's due to the mystery around him that my own headcanon's filled in the blanks about...) and I'm really hoping for his return!

I had a feeling that those NESP enemies with the eye sigils on their cloaks meant something!

D

Deleted member

We matter now.
Also put me on the support list pls.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
I wouldn't count your Chicken before it hatches
True, they did say the villain was a "new" threat, though that could just as easily refer to the mage generals and the white-robed man, and the weird thingy could still be Dark Matter.

D

Deleted member

Dyna Blade confirmed as the bonus boss. :troll:
You joke, but I'd love to play an HD Kirby game with this song playing in the background.
It's just so damn catchy.
Probably not gonna happen though.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
You joke, but I'd love to play an HD Kirby game with this song playing in the background.
It's just so damn catchy.
Probably not gonna happen though.
*PTSD flash backs of Pyribbit*

*shudders*

But yeah, I would love to see that track come back. Team Kirby Clash really made it stand out from the other Dyna Blade theme remixes. So dark, yet very catchy.

D

Deleted member

*PTSD flash backs of Pyribbit*

*shudders*
I think he had like 3 fights in Clash Deluxe.
The nightmares. Wait, Nightmare wasn't in that game...

But yeah, I would love to see that track come back. Team Kirby Clash really made it stand out from the other Dyna Blade theme remixes. So dark, yet very catchy.
Yeah it certainly is Dark. I barely recognized it at first.
It's one of my favorite songs in the series, which is an impressive feat considering how amazing Kirby soundtracks are.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
https://nintendoeverything.com/new-kirby-star-allies-details-from-famitsu/

So, this thing officially has a name, Dark Fortress Jamahalda. At least it's got dark in the name and the last antagonist like that (Dark Nebula IIRC) was stated to have a connection to Dark Matter, I wouldn't rule out this thing being completely unrelated. Plus it's got the little green thing that 02 had so I assume that's an intentional reference.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
The first wave of leaks has begun, I'm pretty certain they're real too since they were posted separately by different dataminers yet everything ended up being the same as eachother, so it's probably legit. I'd go on a spoiler lockdown if you're trying to avoid them because it shouldn't take long for them to start spreading everywhere.

Anyway, here they are. Also, it should go without saying but please try to keep everything related to the leaks inside spoiler text so we don't spoil everyone who happens to wander into the thread.
Most of this stuff can be found here:
http://reserved-kirby.tumblr.com/post/171577738245/kirby-star-allies-datamine-findings-spoilers
The game has a difficulty slider for Arena, there's only 4 worlds but the 4th world is basically milky way wishes on steroids, there's 40 levels overall. The villains are in fact a cult, they're the "masters of a matter most dark" and their god is called "Void Termina", termina probably being based off of terminate or terminal, so it's English name essentially means empty end or complete nothingness. It's Japanese name is "Nil End", Nil meaning zero or nonexistant, End means end obviously. We don't know what Void Termina looks like yet but we got a lot of information on it from it's many info text boxes. Seriously, this thing has an insane amount of pause screen text.

"Rise! Oh, Dark Lord of Despair!
Crush the stars! Lay waste to care!
Rise and cover the land in sorrows!
May your symphony of emptiness
bring the end of all tomorrows!

Rise! Oh, Dark Lord of Despair!
Upon your wing, dark judgment bring!
May your symphony of tragedy
cause the end of everything!

The shocking true form of Void Termina has been
revealed! Born from the total absence of care
and composed of dark energy, he has awakened
from a state of mere existence to that of true
sentience. He now desires only one thing…
to CRUSH all opposition!

As the spring breeze blows, a young traveler appears.
After greeting new friends and bidding farewell
to old ones, his path has finally led him here.
Let’s beat this guy already! –After that, lunch and a nap!
[note: this is Kirby talking]

Rise and cover the land in sorrows!
May your symphony of emptiness
bring the end of all tomorrows!

Upon your wing, dark judgment bring!
May your symphony of tragedy
cause the end of everything!

Hatred, obsession, jealousy, greed… The darkness
gathered by Hyness has transformed into a corrupt
power within Void Termina that conflicts with his newly
forged soul. Chaos descends, but…you’ll be OK.
The Star Allies have your back! "

Here's the big ones.

"Hyness did not fully grasp how to completely
break the seal. All that was written about
Void Termina in the ancient scrolls was that
the progenitor of darkness was vanquished by
four heroes of yore, using four spears of the
heart. After that, they were never seen again."

"No telling if it’s true, but according to the ancient scrolls,
Void Termina may rise again in other forms depending
on whether positive or negative energy is gathered.
It seems this being of darkness will wander the galaxy
until one day he is reborn into a new existence.
When he returns, hopefully it will be as…a friend."

Void Termina was killed/defeated long ago before it's revival in this game but it has the ability to continually come back to life and manifest as different entities. Gee, I wonder what kind of entity Mr. Void became before this game? It'd probably have a similar name to Void that means the exact same thing like empty, null, nil or hey, Zero. With the whole "We, masters of a matter most dark" line and Void/Nil meaning the same thing as Zero, it sounds like Void Termina is Zero's original form/incarnation, or that it's the Demise to Zero's Ganon.

Also about the "When he returns, hopefully it will be as…a friend." thing.

Perhaps it already happened. :awesome:
Masters of a matter most dark.jpg

These are supposedly the cultists Zan Partizanne and Hysen in some spooky form that resembles their god, Void Termina. Pretty cool designs.

D

Deleted member

Well I know what my next game will be.
It's about time the great Zero returns incarnated. and with a great lore to boot. We've waited seventeen years for this and it finally paid off.

GonzaGears

HEMA Noob
NNID
ebr1198
I'm so tempted to check under those spoilers, especially with the game nearing release, but I have to hold back now that I'm compelled to buy a Switch and Kirby Star Allies. After seeing that Direct filled with so many awesome reveals, there's few doubts that I'll have to get it, and I also believe that there are even greater surprises ahead.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Now there's even more of Kirby: Star Allies that has been datamined.
http://reserved-kirby.tumblr.com/post/171577738245/kirby-star-allies-datamine-findings-v2
Hyness's sound effects are pure gold. You unlock Dedede and Meta Knight after beating them. Those Void Termina sound effects are legitimately terrifying and speaking of Void, it has "Dark Matter Laser" and "Red Tears" in it's attack list, hmmm....

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Honestly, my preferred 4th Kirby character.

Unless Dark Matter appears in Star Allies in a big way, I don't see it happening, unfortunately.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I'm too lazy right now to make the obligatory lore post that's going to have be dropped here eventually but...

Kirb.png

smiles.png

0000000.png

What did you all think of Void Termina/Soul? As it always is, the music was amazing and I thought its designs were awesome personally, the humanoid phase was pretty cool with the whole heart shaped plague doctor mask, the first core phase was kind of gross, the bird phase was simply awesome and the next phase where it's constantly shifting between looking like Kirby and Dark Matter was amazing, especially with Kirby's face being contorted in all those nightmarish ways while this evil rendition of Green Greens is playing in the background, I loved it. I thought the fight itself was pretty insane as well, it was great.

Indefinite Minimum

Smash Journeyman
I'm too lazy right now to make the obligatory lore post that's going to have be dropped here eventually but...

View attachment 139015
View attachment 139020
View attachment 139022

What did you all think of Void Termina/Soul? As it always is, the music was amazing and I thought its designs were awesome personally, the humanoid phase was pretty cool with the whole heart shaped plague doctor mask, the first core phase was kind of gross, the bird phase was simply awesome and the next phase where it's constantly shifting between looking like Kirby and Dark Matter was amazing, especially with Kirby's face being contorted in all those nightmarish ways while this evil rendition of Green Greens is playing in the background, I loved it. I thought the fight itself was pretty insane as well, it was great.
WHY DOES FINAL BOSS OF KIRB ALSO LOOK LIKE KIRB????

L O R E

Cynthwave

Smash Rookie
With Star Allies' final boss being an extremely clear extension/continuation of Dark Matter, i've gotten my hopes up for it coming to smash again. ive always kinda thought bandana dee was a really boring character to add to smash dont kill me

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Really, I hope Kirby gets a villain character added. A real villain. Dark Matter and Marx are probably my two most wanted Nintendo characters right now. I loved both characters growing up. (Kirby 64 is my favorite Kirby game for example and Super Star comes second) It would be nice to have a character represent the darker side of the Kirby games and how they have a tendency to get disturbing with the true final bosses.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhat relevant to the thread.
Just finished Rick's guest star mode, aside from level design changes the final battle now has a new background, which seems to have a projection of Hyper Zone on the floor and Morpho Knight now has this awesome remix of Dreamland 2 Dark Matter's heme, I can't wait until someone rips it because it's really good.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'd still rather have Dark Matter to Marx. I like Marx but I prefer Dark Matter.

I'd like to see him switch between his forms the forms the way Pac-Man switches between his forms

Cynthwave

Smash Rookie
Another thing to consider is Sakurai's Kirby bias, (which, I know he doesnt have true bias when deciding) but his bias towards the Kirby games he has directed is pretty clear with all of the Kirby stages being based on Super Star levels, Subspace being based on Milky Way Wishes, Ridley being based on Dyna Blade in Brawl, etc (he developed Super Star but not the Dark Matter trilogy) so i think with that in mind, Marx has the edge in terms of likeliness and popularity, but who knows
(sorry this post is really messy lol)

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I said last month that I didn't think Dark Matter was likely unless he appeared in Star Allies.

That being said, at the time I didn't realize he was in Planet Robobot. That, along with
The final form of Star Allies' final boss is pretty much Dark Matter
has me thinking that an unbiased Sakurai may consider Dark Matter for a 4th or 5th Kirby character this game.

(note that I said unbiased.)

Despite everything, Dark Matter is still my most wanted Kirby character, I think.

Cynthwave

Smash Rookie
Yeah.... i think a more biased Sakurai would probably go for Marx, which certainly wouldnt be bad either! But I would still feel Dark Matter would have gotten shafted with how big a role he plays in the series.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Count me in. I've grown to really appreciate the idea over the last few weeks and, while I'd still rather have Bandana Dee first, I would love to see Dark Matter.

:094:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I made a render of Dark Matter yesterday.

In addition, I also made a support icon that uses it.

Feel free to use these for whatever you want.

Last edited:

Indefinite Minimum

Smash Journeyman
How dare you one up my four year old signature icon

It's not like I think it's really cool or anything b-baka

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I wasn't satisfied with my render, and I know it'll probably be used in a lot of stuff so I want it to be really good.

So I've improved it substantially.

Time to submit this to the community smashified :p

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I came up with a Dark Matter moveset when I didn't see anybody else doing so. Hope it's to your guys' liking.

DARK MATTER (KIRBY)

Dark Matter is in its swordsman appearance from Kirby’s Dream Land 2, while using attacks from all of its boss fights as well as some from 0/02. Its “eye” under its cloak can be visible under certain moves/animations and it grabs items/characters telekinetically. Its body size and hitbox can be compared to R.O.B., with Mewtwo’s floatiness but slightly below average speed and weight about equal to Bowser Jr. Its moveset is primarily composed of projectile/zoning with disjointed hitboxes. Due to its floatiness, it has excellent air mobility for such a heavy character. Dark Matter is also completely voiceless.

However, Dark Matter’s biggest weaknesses are its aforementioned slower speed and a lack of killing power; its focus is keeping the opponent away and controlling the stage, racking up damage before securing the kill. Overall, Dark Matter is a potent fighter, but plays more in line with characters like Duck Hunt and Snake than most sword fighters.

Jab & Dash:

Jab 1: Dark Matter slashes its sword once.

Jab 2: Dark Matter’s sword swings around wildly, creating rainbow arc trails in its path as seen in its battle in Planet Robobot.

Dash Attack: Dark Matter charges towards the opponent, accompanied by the sound effect from its dash attack in Kirby’s Dream Land 2.

Tilts:

Forward Tilt: Dark Matter slashes its sword, creating a sword arc beam that travels before disappearing.

Upward Tilt: Dark Matter sends a dark orb upwards to the sky.

Downward Tilt: Dark Matter shoots a bolt of purple lightning from its eye.

Ledge Attack: Dark Matter flips back onto the stage and stabs forward with its sword.

Floor Attack: Dark Matter swings its sword around before getting back up.

Smashes:

Forward Smash: Dark Matter launches an orb from the tip of its sword, which spreads into three smaller orbs after it travels a certain distance.

Up Smash: Dark Matter fires up multiple orange orbs in a spreadshot manner.

Down Smash: Dark Matter summons two lightning bolts on either side of it.

Aerials:

Neutral Aerial: Dark Matter’s eye shoots multiple shots of energy around it in a circle.

Forward Aerial: Dark Matter launches its eyes from its torso a la Zero.

Upward Aerial: Dark Matter launches its sword out above it like a boomerang.

Back Aerial: Dark Matter turns around and slashes its sword.

Down Aerial: Dark Matter turns into a ball of dark energy and rains itself down to the ground.

Specials:

Standard Special (Lightning Eye): Dark Matter charges up lightning and fires it from its eye. This is charged up before release, and then it can be aimed in any direction.

Forward Special (Dark Drones): Dark Matter summons four smaller versions of its eye form that launch forward. They fire small projectiles from their eyes and have hitboxes that let them take damage, as well as causing damage upon contact. After enough time passes or they take enough damage, they disappear. Dark Matter cannot summon these again until all four are gone.

Up Special (Flight): Dark Matter turns into its complete eyeball form and is briefly granted limitless flight. This deals no damage.

Down Special (Possession): Dark Matter attempts to possess its target. If successful, the opponent will be covered in a dark aura and gain damage, while be controllable for a few seconds until Dark Matter is expelled. This has a cooldown after use. If the possessed character is in midair, Dark Matter will be in the helpless state after exiting its body.

Grab & Throws:

Grab: Dark Matter telekinetically grabs someone.

Pummel: Dark Matter forms teeth on its chest and bites at the opponent.

Forward Throw: Dark Matter throws them and shoots sword beams, a la Mewtwo’s F-Throw.

Back Throw: Dark Matter slashes the target away from them.

Up Throw: Dark Matter sends a cloud of dark energy up with the opponent.

Down Throw: Dark Matter throws them down and bites into them.

Miscellaneous:

Taunt 1: Dark Matter opens its cape up, revealing its eye.

Taunt 2: Dark Matter spins its sword around its body.

Taunt 3: Dark Matter summons Dark Drones around itself.

Victory Pose 1: Dark Matter forms from dark clouds above, lifting its sword into the air.

Victory Pose 2: Dark Matter stands with its back to the camera, then slightly turns its head.

Victory Pose 3: Dark Matter turns into its eye form and stares straight into the camera.

Final Smash (Zero): Dark Matter summons Zero. Anyone caught in the summoning of the Final Smash gets brought to the Hyper Zone in a cutscene, where Zero attacks them with magic, launching them away when returned back to the battlefield.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I came up with a Dark Matter moveset when I didn't see anybody else doing so. Hope it's to your guys' liking.

DARK MATTER (KIRBY)

Dark Matter is in its swordsman appearance from Kirby’s Dream Land 2, while using attacks from all of its boss fights as well as some from 0/02. Its “eye” under its cloak can be visible under certain moves/animations and it grabs items/characters telekinetically. Its body size and hitbox can be compared to R.O.B., with Mewtwo’s floatiness but slightly below average speed and weight about equal to Bowser Jr. Its moveset is primarily composed of projectile/zoning with disjointed hitboxes. Due to its floatiness, it has excellent air mobility for such a heavy character. Dark Matter is also completely voiceless.

However, Dark Matter’s biggest weaknesses are its aforementioned slower speed and a lack of killing power; its focus is keeping the opponent away and controlling the stage, racking up damage before securing the kill. Overall, Dark Matter is a potent fighter, but plays more in line with characters like Duck Hunt and Snake than most sword fighters.

Jab & Dash:

Jab 1: Dark Matter slashes its sword once.

Jab 2: Dark Matter’s sword swings around wildly, creating rainbow arc trails in its path as seen in his battle in Planet Robobot.

Dash Attack: Dark Matter charges towards the opponent, accompanied by the sound effect from its dash attack in Kirby’s Dream Land 2.

Tilts:

Forward Tilt: Dark Matter slashes its sword, creating a sword arc beam that travels before disappearing.

Upward Tilt: Dark Matter sends a dark orb upwards to the sky.

Downward Tilt: Dark Matter shoots a bolt of purple lightning from its eye.

Ledge Attack: Dark Matter flips back onto the stage and stabs forward with its sword.

Floor Attack: Dark Matter swings its sword around before getting back up.

Smashes:

Forward Smash: Dark Matter launches an orb from the tip of its sword, which spreads into three smaller orbs after it travels a certain distance.

Up Smash: Dark Matter fires up multiple orange orbs in a spreadshot manner.

Down Smash: Dark Matter summons two lightning bolts on either side of it.

Aerials:

Neutral Aerial: Dark Matter’s eye shoots multiple shots of energy around it in a circle.

Forward Aerial: Dark Matter launches its eyes from its torso a la Zero.

Upward Aerial: Dark Matter launches its sword out above it like a boomerang.

Back Aerial: Dark Matter turns around and slashes its sword.

Down Aerial: Dark Matter turns into a ball of dark energy and rains itself down to the ground.

Specials:

Standard Special (Lightning Eye): Dark Matter charges up lightning and fires it from its eye. This is charged up before release, and then it can be aimed in any direction.

Forward Special (Dark Drones): Dark Matter summons four smaller versions of its eye form that launch forward. They fire small projectiles from their eyes and have hitboxes that let them take damage, as well as causing damage upon contact. After enough time passes or they take enough damage, they disappear. Dark Matter cannot summon these again until all four are gone.

Up Special (Flight): Dark Matter turns into its complete eyeball form and is briefly granted limitless flight. This deals no damage.

Down Special (Possession): Dark Matter attempts to possess its target. If successful, the opponent will be covered in a dark aura and gain damage, while be controllable for a few seconds until Dark Matter is expelled. This has a cooldown after use. If the possessed character is in midair, Dark Matter will be in the helpless state after exiting its body.

Grab & Throws:

Grab: Dark Matter telekinetically grabs someone.

Pummel: Dark Matter forms teeth on its chest and bites at the opponent.

Forward Throw: Dark Matter throws them and shoots sword beams, a la Mewtwo’s F-Throw.

Back Throw: Dark Matter slashes the target away from them.

Up Throw: Dark Matter sends a cloud of dark energy up with the opponent.

Down Throw: Dark Matter throws them down and bites into them.

Miscellaneous:

Taunt 1: Dark Matter opens its cape up, revealing its eye.

Taunt 2: Dark Matter spins its sword around its body.

Taunt 3: Dark Matter summons Dark Drones around itself.

Victory Pose 1: Dark Matter forms from dark clouds above, lifting its sword into the air.

Victory Pose 2: Dark Matter stands with is back to the camera, then slightly turns its head.

Victory Pose 3: Dark Matter turns into its eye form and stares straight into the camera.

Final Smash (Zero): Dark Matter summons Zero. Anyone caught in the summoning of the Final Smash gets brought to the Hyper Zone in a cutscene, where Zero attacks them with magic, launching them away when returned back to the battlefield.
This is pretty good. I have thought about the idea of possession for Dark Matter before, but having him go into special fall if he's midair fixes the suicide kill issue I was having when thinking up my own moveset.

I'm also thinking of making my own moveset for Dark Matter, but having more inspired by the Kirby's Dream Land 2 and Planet Robobot boss fights, so nothing from DL3 or 64 in mine.

Top Bottom