• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft (Now in open beta!)

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575

Official SIte: http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/

FAQ: http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/faq/

What is Hearthstone?

Hearthstone is a free-to-play digital strategy card game that anyone can enjoy. Players choose one of nine epic Warcraft® heroes to play as, and then take turns playing cards from their customizable decks to cast potent spells, use heroic weapons or abilities, or summon powerful characters to crush their opponent.

Typical match:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The game is still in beta, but is very solid/stable and entertaining. Has anyone else been lucky to get a key? I was surprised at not finding a thread dedicated to this game already. Putting my btag down below if anyone wants to play :) Post yours and I'll add it to this post!

Battle Tags:

NA:
ShadowPhoenix - Shdwphnx#1623
Hylian - Hylian#1140
Aerodrome - Aerodrome#1681

EU:
iStudying - iStudying#2339

Last edited:

S l o X

Smash Champion
It's pretty fun. I generally am somewhere between 15-9 in constructed (mostly grinding out gold and testing decks with what cards I have).

I can see it going places.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Haven't played much constructed since the huge rogue nerf. I really like the mage style of play though.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
ive played this game enough to see that its a clear ripoff of magic the gathering, and its very simplistic. its a good game to learn core mtg but not to be taken seriously imo. enjoy your time playing

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
ive played this game enough to see that its a clear ripoff of magic the gathering, and its very simplistic. its a good game to learn core mtg but not to be taken seriously imo. enjoy your time playing
I agree that it won't become a super competitive game like Magic, but it's fun to drop in and play a game or two every once in a while. A big upside for me is not having to buy physical cards. The game is entirely online so Blizz could change how the game works if it desired a more competitive card game, but I doubt they will since WoW is going in the direction of super casual. They'll end up making more money with a simple game anyway.

S l o X

Smash Champion
That's the poisonous Melee vs Brawl mentality. Hopefully it's satire.

I love how fast paced the Hearthstone meta develops and changes (around once a week). As with any game, it can become competitive as is the nature of 1v1 and strategy games.

Miharu

Smash Hero
I wouldn't say that it's a poisonous Melee vs Brawl mentality, its just that MtG is held up as the golden standard when it comes to competitive card games, and in hits current state, Hearthstone falls rather short of of MtG in terms of competitive balance; and naturally, people are going to compare two games of the same genre, and one is probably going to be worse than the other (and its pretty obvious in this case in terms of competitive playability/depth in my opinion). This is also completely expected because Blizzard has little experience with balancing a game of this sort, which is evidenced by things like ice block, pyroblast, nerfing hunters into the ground when they were already the arguable worst class, the presence of RNG in every other card, etc.

With that being said, Hearthstone is very easy to pick up, especially if you have previous experience with any TCG, and it's very easy to play and is fairly quick with games taking around 5-7 minutes on average.

DragonZProductions

Smash Rookie
This game can be extremely addictive and I throughly enjoy it. If anyone wants someone to play with and talk to PM me and we can friend up and take down the ladder :D

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
This game would be a whole lot less silly if I could be confident that Blizzard would stop altering cards every 4 weeks.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
I'd rather them balance it as much as possible in beta than have a bunch of imbalance issues at launch. I guess I'm used to it since i'm a long time wow player.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Except it's not strictly balancing, they're actually intentionally removing nearly every strategy that doesn't involve playing minions and having them fight other minions. OTK Warrior wasn't exactly top tier Legendary status, and while Freeze Mage was pretty OP for the time, instead of fixing the problem card in Ice Block they just went ahead and neutered a good chunk of Mage's direct damage spells instead. They nerfed cards like Novice Engineer and Dark Iron Dwarf for just about no reason other than forcing people to pick other cards in those mana slots. I almost expect Harvest Golem to get hit with a nerf next, seeing as how EVERYONE runs two of that guy.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Gonna have to take your word for it since I play at a very casual level. I haven't even read the patch notes since the big rogue nerf and that was only because I have an attachment to the class since it's my main in wow.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
i have no idea what's happening but i told my friend I'd download this

man it looks complicated though.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
it's ridiculously simple, as card games go

even more simple than vanguard, and that's vanguard ffs

coming from a longtime cardgamer, i don't see how this is a fun game for my demographic, the mechanics are overly simple and each hero's gimmicks get old after a few games of them

worse, having to grind for packs and knowing your deck isn't even close to optimal irks the hell out of me (no i will not spend money)

i guess this game is fun, in the same way whacking the ground with a stick is fun

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Scale of 1-10, ratings you'd give it?
I'd give it a solid 7. It's not a game that you can expect to play for more than 1-2 hours at a time, I would say. I'm mostly excited for the eventual mobile versions so I can play this on the go.
i have no idea what's happening but i told my friend I'd download this

man it looks complicated though.
Very easy to pickup. The tutorial does a really good job of explaining it to people who haven't played a tcg. If you've played any tcg, mechanics should be learned in like 3-4 minutes.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Make sure you have stuff on your side of the board and the opponent doesn't have stuff on his side of the board.
Cards are valuable. Life isn't, until you're about to die.

I can give more specific advice if you tell us your class and format (practice, ranked, arena).

McNasty

Smash Rookie
I'd give it a solid 7. It's not a game that you can expect to play for more than 1-2 hours at a time, I would say. I'm mostly excited for the eventual mobile versions so I can play this on the go.
Thanks for the info. I'll consider picking it up soon, tbh I'm going HAM with SMStrikers atm. Card games aren't usually too high of a priority on my to play list but if one grabs my attention I can usually at least put 100 hours into it. I just don't enjoy them as much as I did when I was younger.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Make sure you have stuff on your side of the board and the opponent doesn't have stuff on his side of the board.
Cards are valuable. Life isn't, until you're about to die.

I can give more specific advice if you tell us your class and format (practice, ranked, arena).
lol so basically I've been doing it wrong so far

I've been focusing on only really hitting their life

ive been playing paladin and priest so far, but they're too defensive for my liking

i want to use a class with more offensive power, but I don't know which to use...

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If you prefer a super-aggressive "attack at face" style, Hunter and Warlock are best suited to that, since Warlock is able to exchange life for cards and Hunter just straight up deals 2 damage for 2 mana whenever you have it available.
Druids and Shamans are able to play a more "balanced" aggressive style that asserts enough board control to not die in 6 turns while setting up big threats to win in the mid-to-late game.
Warriors and Rogues have some of the most efficient minion removal, if you'd like to focus more on clearing the opponent's board.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Hunter looks supah cool so I think I'll give him a try.

My friend used Shaman against me and i was like, "lol these totems are so weak and useless" and then it got into late game and he set up like the entire field with monsters and attack totems and killed me the very next turn.

totes gonna try hunter brb forever

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Also keep in mind that you gotta unlock all of the class specific cards first before being much of a threat.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I haven't got all the class cards yet but I do know that so far I really hate Jaina as a character. She has way too many ways to clear the board.

"You summoned X amount of minions? LOL AoE clear~"

herpa derp

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
I haven't got all the class cards yet but I do know that so far I really hate Jaina as a character. She has way too many ways to clear the board.

"You summoned X amount of minions? LOL AoE clear~"

herpa derp
Mage is probably my favorite class to use, but I do agree that it's very frustrating to play against her.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
This game is pretty fun :).

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC