• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heartfelt Princess of the Mushroom Kingdom - Peach discussion thread

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Woooo new Smash Bros game howdy fellow Peach (and now Daisy!) users I hope you all have a super fun time playing the game and playing as Peach/Daisy however you fancy.

First impressions on Peach - she's clearly hiding some bricks in those Turnips of hers but was so busy sorting that out she forgot to pack her proper heels and parasol this time around.

Actual proper first impressions:

- Turnip pull is faster and Turnips are really strong now and they travel really fast when throwing them down, almost like Heavy Turnips from Smash 4. Much better for edgeguarding.
- Not as much landing lag on aerials
- Forward Smash is vastly improved but choosing a weapon other than the golf club whilst trying to do an uncharged Forward Smash feels a bit clunky I kind of wish you could choose which one you use by inputting Forward Smash and tapping the direction during the wind up to choose the weapon rather than having to hold before release
- Parasol has been nerfed and has lost a lot of its KO potential (non existent for open Parasol). It also doesn't protect against certain projectiles like King DeDeDe's Gordo's when open
- Down air has been absolutely crippled oh my goodness you didn't deserve this :(
- Toad doesn't cause you to initially bounce when used in the air and whilst you can still edge guard people it is extremely dangerous and the margin for error is significantly higher because if you activate the counter you're likely to sink to your doom. The spores are reasonably reliable at connecting though
- Fair is still her most reliable KO move but also stales horribly...so no changes there
- D Tilt is cute but the range is a bit short
- Peach Bomber's range feels shorter

Similarly to the transition from Brawl to Smash 4 she feels 'rebalanced', in the sense that some aspects of her are better and some aspects are worse. I'm a bit concerned that changes to the game engine/defensive options will not work in her favour but we'll have to wait and see. I'm particularly excited to see how her Turnip game develops because they are much stronger this time around and much better edguarding tools :)

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
So basically Peach has two severe nerfs:

- Parasol KO Potential
- Dair combo ability. (+range??)

Luckily, she's got a bunch of buffs and all that.
^ To Rickerdy-doo-da-day Rickerdy-doo-da-day , I came in here just to comment about Peach's Turnips. They have much greater knockback and fall sooo much faster. I've got a little thrill from when I get the final blow from a turnip and KO someone with it. :ultpacman:

Beatrice

Smash Cadet
I wonder if the rate of item pulls has been increased. I've gotten a ridiculous number of Mr. Saturn pulls today.

NeonNote

Smash Apprentice
I personally haven't had any issues with the nerfed dair. I use it very frequently as well in neutral. As far as combos go, down tilt more than makes up for the range nerf.

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
I personally haven't had any issues with the nerfed dair. I use it very frequently as well in neutral. As far as combos go, down tilt more than makes up for the range nerf.

Yeah, now that I've played with her quite a bit, I see its not terrible.

TBH, a worse nerf is TOAD. I personally found it VERY useful in Smash4, and it was amazing to use over the edge on recovering opponents like Link.
Now that the hitboxes on toad are worse, and she descends so fast, its usability is gone.

- Parasol is still ****. :(

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Dair lost some of its range and its worse for shield pressuring but its still alright. Its far from bad.

Parasol in Smash4 could kill stupidly early because of rage. Without rage it killed as early as it does now. You can still kill people double jumping high. Landing with parasol open also has ~26 frames of landing lag instead of 40+ which is a nice buff.

- Forward Smash is vastly improved but choosing a weapon other than the golf club whilst trying to do an uncharged Forward Smash feels a bit clunky I kind of wish you could choose which one you use by inputting Forward Smash and tapping the direction during the wind up to choose the weapon rather than having to hold before release
This is actually how you're supposed to use it :p First input Fsmash, then input up or down. You have to do it fast but with practice you can do it consistently with ease.

NeonNote

Smash Apprentice
I really don't think the parasol nerf is too significant. It's such a risky move to go for anyway. We have an amazing combo starter in down tilt now which can potentially end stocks with a quick fair afterwards

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
One funny thing about open parasol's knockback:

Use it on a low-percentage Shulk with Shield activated. The knockback was SO low, the parasol just literally drags him down with you and he cant escape until you hit the ground.

It just happened to me online ;)

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
Although it’s an adjustment, I really do like how Peach feels in this game and do think she’s gonna be pretty solid as the meta progresses.

First impressions:
  • Dair having a range nerf took a bit to get used to but tbh I feel like its overall utility as a move is still good. Follow ups are slightly more challenging but not completely thrown out. Although does anyone think as the meta progresses this move may become more punishable with the parry mechanic?
  • Honestly first playing her I found her angled Fsmashes a little challenging/annoying to do consistently - especially mid battle. Using the control stick to angle it up or down simultaneously with the cstick Fsmash input made it a lot easier though. At first I was trying to angle it with just the cstick lolol.
  • Irrrdk how I feel about Fair having a sour and sweet spot. The move overall I feel doesn’t pack as much of a punch as it did in Smash4. Also kind of miss the massive hitbox it had below her. Still a mostly reliable kill move though.
  • One of her biggest nerfs imo is not being able to Toad recoveries consistently. The loss of the bounce she had really hinders its utility as a recovery gimp tool. The fact that she just goes down if she gets a hit leaves some room for error/SDs. Glad however that the move in general was buffed in that the damage output is better and the knockback seems fairly consistent.
  • The rest of her aerials (esp. Bair) and kit feel great, Turnips feel very Meleeish in that they’re legitimate gimping tools and received a speed increase, Dtilt change was a gift from God.
She has a lot of potential to be really good in this iteration. I’m glad the change in mechanics with this one didn’t really hinder her. The only thing I’m going to miss I think is SHAD —> Float approaches.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Is it just me or is it easier to reuse Veggies that bounce off foes in general in this game?

NeonNote

Smash Apprentice
If you hit someone at the very end of peach bomber, she says the "cha!" Part again once it hits. Strange. Vegetables do seem a bit easier to grab, although I sometimes air dodge instead of z grab after a hit.

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
Im starting to hate Ultimate all together tbh. I only ever used Peach in Melee, Project M, Brawl, and Smash 4.

Im Smash4, I was a damn STAR. I was placing in top 5's in local tournaments left, right, and centre. My For Glory Win Rate was like 80-84ish percent.

Now, in Ultimate?

I got Elite in one day, but now I cant get it back.
My GSP is ****, and I cant land a kill for sh*t in this game.

I dont know whats wrong with me and this game. :( me and peach just.... aren't meshing.
I feel defeated. I dont wanna give up my main, but btrieosjdkms blaaaah.

Musha4DaWin

Smash Cadet
Im starting to hate Ultimate all together tbh. I only ever used Peach in Melee, Project M, Brawl, and Smash 4.

Im Smash4, I was a damn STAR. I was placing in top 5's in local tournaments left, right, and centre. My For Glory Win Rate was like 80-84ish percent.

Now, in Ultimate?

I got Elite in one day, but now I cant get it back.
My GSP is ****, and I cant land a kill for sh*t in this game.

I dont know whats wrong with me and this game. :( me and peach just.... aren't meshing.
I feel defeated. I dont wanna give up my main, but btrieosjdkms blaaaah.
My advice for killing is to not rely on fair so much as up smash. The fair sourspot is easy to get.

DrROBschiz

Smash Apprentice
-Parasol still kills at high percent if you snag them near mid/top of stage. However it does seem easier to DI out of. Its not quite the vacuum effect it used to have

- I would love to see DAIR get some more priority and better shield damage. Otherwise its just ok and I think you can combo into a few follow ups with a successful last hit

- Turnips are upgraded for sure. Nice change.

- Dtilt is an upgrade though i miss that meaty slap lol. That said its range leaves something to be desired.

- Aerials are all great. Would love better range, speed and priority on Nuetral but it hits hard. Fair and Bair are great though I wish we still didn't have the disappearing hitbox when hitting the ground. They clearly want you to float them all.

- Peach Bomber is soooo good. I think they removed like half the cooldown or more when using it airborne meaning you can chase in the air with it and not worry about this massive opening on a whiff. Dont use it in on the ground unless you are close range tech chasing with it or applying some pressure on shield.

- Toad counter is weird. It feels like it got stronger but less consistent... and the damn endlag when you try to use it on recoveries is awful. Very easy to fall deep before you can jump back. Kills pretty early if you land a full counter on stage though. Not sure If i love the trade off here or not.

- Can we talk about how bad the Jab is? It feels worse than ever.

Slip33

Smash Cadet
I always wonder why people care so much for Jen Taylor voice as Peach. She makes/made Peach sound like a total airhead. Her voice doesn't sound sweet at all, sometimes she comes of as sounding just loud and obnoxious. Is it because Jen did it for so long, that's what we got use to hearing? It's kinda a let down to how Peach sounded in Super Mario 64 when first hear her speak. It be nice if they gave Peach a more mature voice.
Also, Do people think this is best incarnation of Peach in the Smash Series.? A lot of people favored Melee Peach, but I think this one(in Ultimate) got her beat by a bit in capabilities.

shininimuss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
shininimus
i prefer malee's because up and up tilt. sells the girly princess that can also fight image much more imo. as for voice's i think the 64 since it sounds a lot more mature as you said. the new voice is probably only the way it is because of how the voice actor is being told to make her sound, the current va could probably do a mature peach if she was told to do so.

Slip33

Smash Cadet
I think Peach is best in ultimate, because of combo potential and she can rack up damage quickly. New down-tilt is good and I like that she's using her legs. Her being to move faster is a plus too.

Last edited:

Davidavid7

Smash Rookie
Sam Kelly is my favorite Peach voice. It's not too high pitched and it has a little sass. SmUsh Peach is my favorite. I like that she has more magic attacks and she's really fun

Last edited:

Slip33

Smash Cadet
Sam Kelly voice of Peach is a lot better than Jen's. I still think Peach is a little too soft spoken, but that's probably the only thing will get.

Last edited:

NeonNote

Smash Apprentice
Do you think peach/daisy are at risk of being nerfed? I’ve seen some people consider them among the best in the game. Regardless of where they are on the tier list, I think they are balanced characters. What do you think?

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Do you think peach/daisy are at risk of being nerfed? I’ve seen some people consider them among the best in the game. Regardless of where they are on the tier list, I think they are balanced characters. What do you think?
Peach / Daisy are not broken to the point where they're over-centralized and thus stagnating the metagame. They are fine. Just allow the meta to develop naturally before you attempt to patch things in and out.

Also, I will be a Peach main in Ultimate. Hello everyone.

claystate

Smash Rookie
i agree with you C Crooked Crow and i actually think most people are in agreement with that, even non peach/daisy mains...but i think NeonNote NeonNote is more curious as to whether the patch team will nerf them or not, rather than whether a nerf is justified :p

to that point, they are absolutely at risk of a nerf if the patch team tracks tournament play/results...but it really depends on their patching philosophy. i'm hoping that they either focus on patching for casuals/online play (which makes peach/daisy safer from nerfs since their performance depends on high execution) or choose to be *very nuanced* in patching for competitive play. the worst path (imo) is if they choose to patch elements of competitive play that simply "look" or "feel" broken...my opinion is that surface-level patching will quickly make any competitive game uninteresting to play or watch

idk nintendo's patching philosophy from smash 4 (i'm a melee player) but it may be an indicator of how they'll approach patching in smash ultimate

Last edited:

NeonNote

Smash Apprentice
i agree with you C Crooked Crow and i actually think most people are in agreement with that, even non peach/daisy mains...but i think NeonNote NeonNote is more curious as to whether the patch team will nerf them or not, rather than whether a nerf is justified :p

to that point, they are absolutely at risk of a nerf if the patch team tracks tournament play/results...but it really depends on their patching philosophy. i'm hoping that they either focus on patching for casuals/online play (which makes peach/daisy safer from nerfs since their performance depends on high execution) or choose to be *very nuanced* in patching for competitive play. the worst path (imo) is if they choose to patch elements of competitive play that simply "look" or "feel" broken...my opinion is that surface-level patching will quickly make any competitive game uninteresting to play or watch

idk nintendo's patching philosophy from smash 4 (i'm a melee player) but it may be an indicator of how they'll approach patching in smash ultimate
I totally agree with you. If they go by online play, they are for sure fine since the lag makes it extremely hard to pull off the super technical rapid fire inputs with the princesses when floating and whatnot. If they do decide to nerf them, I'm hoping they only tone down certain elements to make them in line with the rest of the cast such as the short hop aerial damage negation with float. I fear they will hurt or completely some of their best tools such as down tilt and the turnips simply because they are very good tools and they happen to be successful in tournament play.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
jugeeya has been finding hitboxes for Peach and Daisy. The full tweet has all the other moves so far.

Slip33

Smash Cadet
You know I wonder just how good Peach and Daisy is handling their dresses. They have to be very good (at least at elite level) , because its what the mainly wear and they live in a platforming world. If you ever seen Disney's Frozen, Elsa's sisters Anna dances around, jumps and slides downs a stair rail like she almost have no gown own at all. Her dress doesn't stop her movement and she also know when to grab it so no one get any "undergarment" shots. Very impressive on her part!

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
looking back @ me being a soppy baby in this thread lmfao YIKES @ Me

-

I've become a lot better with Peach and Daisy. Im deep into "Elite" smash with both of them.

wtf @ me thinking Toad was bad. I friggen love it. It can return an opponent's crappy jab into a meaty 26%, which is a big-ass number for Peach to inflict on one attack compared to the rest of her moves. Its nice.

I KNOW Im in the wrong for this, but I never use D-Tilt...................... or F-Tilt, or U-tilt for that matter.

Turnips are absolutely perfect in this game.

D-air isnt as bad as I initially thought.

Peach Bomber is flawless in this game.

Im still missing Smash 4's open umbrella knockback. :( It was amazing. I wish it was stronger now, even just really deflect people away a good distance.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
2023 and 2024 doing Peach right

Top Bottom