• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heartfelt Princess of the Mushroom Kingdom - Peach discussion thread

Luminario

Smash Lord

Welcome to the Peach discussion thread, a place to discuss any and all things Peachy~

As we saw from e3, Peach is, of course, back in all her girly glory. With a very similar design to Smash 4, Peach doesn't seem to have many changes to her moveset or her aesthetics. There are a few small points to note:​

• Peach has a new down tilt: a sweeping leg attack quite similar to Zelda's. Functions the same as the old down tilt but is now much more reliable due to opponents not being able to tech grounded spikes.
  • Her grab now consists of Peach and Toad teaming up, with Peach holding the opponent as Toad punches them for a pummel. Down throw and forward throw are also different due to Toad being the one to ground pound the opponent for Dthrow and headbutt for Fthrow.
  • Her neutral special Toad is also visually different. Now it involves Toad teleporting in and actually bracing for an attack, arms stretch out wide to protect the princess. Peach turns around and ducks away as Toad is out.
  • Side Special Peach Bomber now has a heart trail effect as she moves through the air.
  • Up Smash now has a heart above the ribbon spiral.
  • Back air now has a heart effect on it similar to Peach Bomber.
  • The rainbow of up air seems to have more of a light slash look now, and it looks less rainbow-y and more iridescent.
  • Peach's "uh-huh~" taunt seems to have changed, with the spin being removed so only the bend forward with the finger out remains. Has a nice little heart effect next to Peach's head too.
  • Her Final Smash seems to be Peach Blossom once again, pretty much staying identical to Smash 4's version with the 3 peaches.
  • Peach has 2 new victory screens, though she retains all 3 voice lines.
peach victory 1.gif
"Oh, did I win?"
peach victory 3.gif
"This is fun~"
peach victory 2.gif
"Peachy~"
All in all, I'm pretty happy with the way everything looks. Toad having more of an appearance is a very nice touch.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
All I want is that neutral b changed. Let her blow a kiss or throw her crown or something, but pulling a live creature out of nowhere to spit spores as a counter is just the weirdest **** I swear.

Luminario

Smash Lord
All I want is that neutral b changed. Let her blow a kiss or throw her crown or something, but pulling a live creature out of nowhere to spit spores as a counter is just the weirdest **** I swear.
It does feel rather out of character, if it does make sense in canon for Toad to protect Peach. If Toad ever gets removed to become a fighter I'd like her to either retain her counter by bringing out the vibe scepter and retaliating with a random emotion, or simply blow a kiss to create a small heart projectile that hovers in place for a second that has a weak stun to it and clanks with all projectiles to keep her neutral B defensive.

Another thing I'd like to see is the tennis racquet of fsmash become a reflector too, but only the racquet as it's the only weapon that is meant to bounce objects back, just cause I think it'll be pretty funny getting a sneaky reflect on a killer projectile.

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
As a long time Peach main. I would love and, at the same time, fear changes to her moveset!!
I would love to see new stuff added to her moveset that takes ideas from Super Princess Peach.

Odyssey gave her a bunch of new outfits and I would love to see some of those referenced in her alternate costumes!

Quillion

Smash Hero
The only change I'd make to Neutral B would be to make it Toadsworth.

Mainly because it will free up Toad himself to be playable.

Slip33

Smash Cadet
Because Peach can float, I doubt they would make her a little more athletic. Like allowing her to wall jump. I like have her Dash Attack hit like does in Melee, characters sometimes just fall out before the second hit connects. I also like to see her neutral A air be a bit faster. I believe it some frames slower in smash 4.

As for her design: I like the current dress(smash 4) too. So hope her dress is base off it, but this time I want them to included her white petticoat/underskirt she has in some games. To give the a dress a more complete and full feeling.

Last edited:

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Bringing some images so we can wish for alt. costumes

AND THE BEST COSTUME OF ALL TIME! THIS NEED TO BE ON THE GAME!

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
For being a magical princess, she sure doesn't have a lot of magical attacks when in canon, she's one of the most avid and potent magic users in the Marioverse. Super Primcess Peach among the many other times she's been played should be pulled from. How fun would it be to have her Final Smash be Sheep Time or whatever followed by a bombardment of bob-ombs?

Luminario

Smash Lord
For being a magical princess, she sure doesn't have a lot of magical attacks when in canon, she's one of the most avid and potent magic users in the Marioverse. Super Primcess Peach among the many other times she's been played should be pulled from. How fun would it be to have her Final Smash be Sheep Time or whatever followed by a bombardment of bob-ombs?
You mean the sleep attack from Mario RPG? Peach Blossom technically combines that with Group Hug anyway, as the peaches can heal teammates. Her Final Smash is as close as you can get to a support FS in the game.
I'd like to see some SPP inspired moves in Smash, though I'm not really sure where they'd fit. I brought up the Vibe Scepter counter idea before, but past that her specials fit rather nicely into her playstyle as do her smash attacks. She could at least bring out Perry as her parasol though and replace Ftilt with the parasol swing from SPP. I'm always up for some more magical moves as well.

Morbi

Scavenger
Bringing some images so we can wish for alt. costumes

AND THE BEST COSTUME OF ALL TIME! THIS NEED TO BE ON THE GAME!
I never thought about how badly I needed that wedding dress. She has arguably always had one, but this one would definitely push the envelope.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I'd love a more traditional and actually offensive FS though. The bombs would work nicely. That, or Rage. Heck, even if non-canon, Peach Beam would be awesome. Even her Strikers ability would be neat.

She has telekinesis in canon, so why not use that for a grab as a start?

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
I wish Peach was a little less overtly feminine sort of like how she is in melee.

Slip33

Smash Cadet
^ Me too. Though unlikely I hope they get rid of that childish skipping. I don't see the getting rid of the hearts and replacing them with flames though.

Luminario

Smash Lord
She has telekinesis in canon, so why not use that for a grab as a start?
I really do hope they take that as back throw inspiration. That was such a cool scene in Bowser's Inside Story
I wish Peach was a little less overtly feminine sort of like how she is in melee.
Any reason why though? Peach is THE Girly Girl of Smash. If anything she needs more sparkles and hearts.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
I guess just personal preference. I like how in melee Peach is sort of this stone cold killer. She pulls out a frying pan and hits people. Her side b is an explosion. She doesn't show much emotion or character, she just gets the job done- until after the match is over when she taunts you and makes it clear she has plenty of character to spare. I like that model I guess. Really I don't care how feminine Peach is but I feel like some of her taunts in the game just make her a less serious character which I don't especially like; they make her feel more silly to me.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I was just going to say that I do appreciate how her attacks in Smash 4 are more magic-based than before, but I kinda agree with you.

I don't think they really need to revamp her specials to be all magical, though. They just need to modify the existing moves to be more magic based, like Peach's current Up-Air, Up-Tilt, or Up-Smash.

Slip33

Smash Cadet
I don't mind Peach being feminine, just not too feminine. Her being too girly is one of the criticisms she comes under fire for.
I also will like to see a New Final Smash. Something more aggressive like bob-omb thing to change things up.

I like to see her get a new crouching animation: The way dress folds up(in the back) don't seem to make much sense to me. Unless she tucks it.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't mind Peach being feminine, just not too feminine. Her being too girly is one of the criticisms she comes under fire for.
I also will like to see a New Final Smash. Something more aggressive like bob-omb thing to change things up.

I like to see her get a new crouching animation: The way dress folds up(in the back) don't seem to make much sense to me. Unless she tucks it.
I always thought that was part of her character, and subsequently, the point of Daisy being more of a tomboy. To contrast that.

Slip33

Smash Cadet
^
I always thought that was part of her character, and subsequently, the point of Daisy being more of a tomboy. To contrast that.
Yeah It's apart of her character, but making her less feminine or not overly girly. Will make her stand out more and be less stereotypical. Contrast between the two is nice, but Peach doesn't have to always be overtly feminine. People don't like when a character is too girly/stereotype these days.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'd argue her stereotypical feminine attitude is what makes her stand out more from the rest of the female characters already in Smash, most of them which behave more tomboyish or serious in comparison to Peach's more girly and carefree personality.

I think it suits her and makes her more fun to play as, but maybe that's just me...

Last edited:

Slip33

Smash Cadet
Yeah, in Smash she stand out. But compared to the other Mario Series human females, her femininity can maker appear rather boring and bland. The others seem to be more unique. Peach is often the least liked. She already has the whole blonde hair/ blue eyes/ pink cliché going on.

So, I think they can tone down some of girly stereotypes and make her more interesting.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Yeah, in Smash she stand out. But compared to the other Mario Series human females, her femininity can maker appear rather boring and bland. The others seem to be more unique. Peach is often the least liked. She already has the whole blonde hair/ blue eyes/ pink cliché going on.

So, I think they can tone down some of girly stereotypes and make her more interesting.
There's nothing wrong with being overly feminine as long as you don't represent every female in the universe as such. Even if you represented every woman as bitter on the outside but sad on the inside (which according to Nostalgia Critic, was done quite a bit in the 90's), that's still sexist.

Also, have you played the classic Paper Mario games? I'd say those do a good job of making Peach interesting because of her girliness instead of in spite of it.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
I'd argue her stereotypical feminine attitude is what makes her stand out more from the rest of the female characters already in Smash, most of them which behave more tomboyish or serious in comparison to Peach's more girly and carefree personality.

I think it suits her and makes her more fun to play as, but maybe that's just me...
I think that's a really good point. Because in melee she was one of the only female characters so one of the only people who could fill that role. But in modern smash games there are more females so you can have peach be more in line with her traditional role in the mario games.

I also agree with the idea that there's nothing wrong with her being super feminine but it's more that it's sort of boring in modern games.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Even the way that Peach's eyes are shaped make her feel less serious than most of the other female fighters. Of course, Rosalina's eye shape isn't too serious either, but the shape of her eyebrows can give you that serious feeling.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
If Toad (whatever Toad) gets playable, do you guys desire to keep her Neutral B or change it completely?

Slip33

Smash Cadet
There's nothing wrong with being overly feminine as long as you don't represent every female in the universe as such. Even if you represented every woman as bitter on the outside but sad on the inside (which according to Nostalgia Critic, was done quite a bit in the 90's), that's still sexist.

Also, have you played the classic Paper Mario games? I'd say those do a good job of making Peach interesting because of her girliness instead of in spite of it.
Yeah, in Paper Mario games she's more interesting, but almost always outside of that she's not develop good. There not wrong with being overly feminine. It's just by today's standard (and in her design)she could appear rather bland or uninspiring.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
It's just by today's standard (and in her design)she could appear rather bland or uninspiring.
If this is really your entire reason for wanting Peach to be changed, I have to say that you're the real sexist here.

Trying to force females to not be stereotypically feminine is every bit as bad as trying to force them to be that way. Being female is something that one is, not something one should avoid or try to become. There's no wrong way to be female.

spinalwolf

Smash Apprentice
I don't really understand why acting feminine and being girly is seen as a bad thing. So what if she acts stereotypically feminine? That's part of who she is and her personality. That would be like me saying "Man Captain Falcon acts way too masculine. I wish he wasn't so stereotypically manly." Its just sounds really dumb and yes it does make you sound like a sexist.

Last edited:

Slip33

Smash Cadet
Is Peach not often the least liked compared to the other Mario females, because she is stereotypically girly(or a bad stereotype)? From what I heard a lot of people find the others more interesting, because of that

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It wouldn't exactly be Peach if she didn't have the girly vibe. Not every female has to be tough, serious, and/or tomboyish.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Don't we already have a bunch of females with at least one of those traits though? :4bayonetta::4corrinf::4lucina::4palutena::4robinf::4samus::4sheik::4zelda::4zss: from the top of my head.

You know what they say, variety is the spice of life. Peach's feminine attitude is just a part of who she is as a character. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing another female character added that doesn't fall into the serious/ tomboy/ tough girl category like Isabelle, the Rythm Heaven or Style Savvy girl...

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I had an idea for a Toad replacement that's still a counter, Peach's Parasol Shield from Super Paper Mario and Super Princess Peach.

How it functions is Peach covers herself in her parasol and if hit by a physical attack, the attacker is bounced back as if they hit a bumper. (Much less distance for balance.)

No damage is done but I feel it works better to put foes in Turnip tossing range than to tickle them with spores.

PF9

Smash Lord
It would be interesting if in a possible story mode, the romantic relationships between Mario and Peach, as well as Link and Zelda play a big role.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I would be happy to see a few changes.

Ideally, I want that scepter in the game. I want an emotion stick.
... well I want Peach to have one. And for the love of God, give her a taunt where it vibrates.
It's still more PC than stripping around a pole.

Top Bottom