• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hear me out... Lanky Kong as a playable character.

Do you want Lanky Kong in Smash

• Yeah

Votes: 62 81.6%
  • Please No

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Who cares?

Votes: 6 7.9%

• Total voters

EdwardSponge

Smash Apprentice
As unreasonable as it is, I need Lanky Kong in smash bros. I could spend the next 5 hours giving you my reasons why but I want to hear what you guys think. Of all the kongs he would have the most original moveset imo.

Orangutans are the only Kong species that isnt being reprisented in playable form, and I know the he is no longer relevant but neither is Sheik or captain falcon. Not to mention the severe lack of DK characters in smash and the grand golden age of n64 rare titles is only being represented by diddy and DK the third. I dream of a world where dk is reprisented by DK, Diddy, k rool and Lanky.

A moveset is so easy to come up with too. UpB is inflating into a baloon,
Side B is grape gun, down B he handstands, and in this state he is very fast and can perform aerial attacks but cant use specials or double jump.
Neutral B he stretches his arms out, just for you. Final smash is a more powerful version of handstand, similar to WarioMan being a more powerful wario.

Alternates could be: default
Purple lanky from dk64 multiplayer
Green lanky from dk64 multiplayer
Red lanky from dk64 multiplayer
Tiny themed skin
Chunky themed skin
Military Funky Kong themed skin
Manky Kong themed skin

Last edited by a moderator:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I hope one day Sakurai will stretch his arms out... Just for us.
Maybe once K Rool is included, Lanky can be the DK fans' next white whale to hunt. I doubt it though. Its probably gonna be Dixie Kong.
Dixie Kong might make it in before King K.Rool I imagine. She's relevant, thus a far more 'safe' choice, and she also could be made partly from Diddy's moveset (semi-clone). So that's two factors that put her ahead of K.Rool. To be real honest, I just want proper representation for Donkey Kong Country in Smash Bros., and Lanky would satisfy me as much as King K.Rool himself. Same with Cranky honestly.

Also , I always thought that THIS screenshot on the Smash Bros.com website was a reference to Lanky.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I never realised. It brought a tear to my funny face.
I guess Lanky will live on in Diddy... And Dixie and Tiny will live on in DK's upB
Yeah it was sort of misleading, Sakurai said something about Diddy having more flexibility with his arms or something? It was on his reveal day, European release date of Tropical Freeze. It sort of opened a possibility of Lanky having a semi-clone moveset of Diddy as well. I guess?

DK's Up B was always a direct reference to Dixie I thought. Him spinning around like that looked way too random, good they gave it a proper grounded option in Smash 4 tho.

Also, I was hoping Lanky Kong would be the 4th playable Kong in Tropical Freeze. Alas, it was Cranky and that's all cool and amazing, but I also think Lanky would've opened a lot of gameplay possbilities. Always an option for a next DKC... All we have now is Lanky Street in Odyssey?

Think that Lanky is pretty much the FIRST pick from DK64 however, cause Tiny is a Dixie stand-in, and Chunky is a stand-in for Kiddy, being related and all. Lanky also was the only one of them getting a trophy in Brawl (Smash 4 too? Dunno?) and togheter with Tiny he made it in Barrel Blast (a game I wish I never missed out on.... :urg: )

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
If it was possible to have all 5 kongs in smash that would be amazing.

Personally I think Lanky kong would make a nice addition to Smash, his Grab would probably be Melee Marth's replacement though lmao.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well he may be my top choice for a new DK character but hed still be pretty cool to have

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Personally I think Lanky kong would make a nice addition to Smash, his Grab would probably be Melee Marth's replacement though lmao.
Well, that's great. Finally a true grappler in Smash! And not only that, he can handstand, when he needs to.

EdwardSponge

Smash Apprentice
I remember the moment I played PKMN trainer in brawl, I was hoping that the Tag Barrel would be an unlockable character, where you switch between lanky tiny ang chunky. To this day I play smash 4 hoping that i will trigger some kind of secret download sequence to unlock dk reps. Legends I heard as a kid never die.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Now that would've been an idea... The general consensus around here is that Dixie Kong + Kiddy Kong is the most reasonable and """likely""" Kong tag team duo, since that's how they sort of worked in DKC3, and from all the Kongs they have the most tag team abilities...

Yet, Sakurai played with the idea of having Diddy Kong tagged up with Dixie Kong during Brawl's development. Apperantly, he even went wild for the idea. Things like that where recorded and widespread back then. Not sure if I can get the same quotes and / or interviews, but yeah, you could take my word from it.

Anyway, what would you want Lanky's moveset to be like?

EdwardSponge

Smash Apprentice
Now that would've been an idea... The general consensus around here is that Dixie Kong + Kiddy Kong is the most reasonable and """likely""" Kong tag team duo, since that's how they sort of worked in DKC3, and from all the Kongs they have the most tag team abilities...

Yet, Sakurai played with the idea of having Diddy Kong tagged up with Dixie Kong during Brawl's development. Apperantly, he even went wild for the idea. Things like that where recorded and widespread back then. Not sure if I can get the same quotes and / or interviews, but yeah, you could take my word from it.

Anyway, what would you want Lanky's moveset to be like?
Well I mentioned some ideas from the top of my head for his specialsbut nothing certain. Upsecial is definitely ballon. I also really want his mobeset to sonehow incorporate handstanding l. Maybe his neutral b is his standing attack in dk64, but the third hit is a command grab with ridiculous range. I want all of his animations from 64 to appear. Maybe his dash attack could be his long jump. His downsmash could be when he spins on his head in the dkrap, maybe incorporate his trombone solo into his taunts, and if he manages to finish it without being hit, it sends out a DK shockwave that lauches opponents on 150% + damage. Funny for shieldbreaks and against limit break charging clouds. So many ideas so little time. You guys have any ideas?

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Well, that's great. Finally a true grappler in Smash! And not only that, he can handstand, when he needs to.
I can see it now. Loading up the game, selecting Lanky, pressing down B and nothing happens. Mere frames later, the game pauses and a text box appears. "You do not need to handstand right now."

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Lanky Kong over all. I support.

This Kong with the funny face was always my favorite of the 64 cast. He was even lucky enough to be in Barrel Blast. Still a shame that he never cameo'd in the Returns games.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I can see it now. Loading up the game, selecting Lanky, pressing down B and nothing happens. Mere frames later, the game pauses and a text box appears. "You do not need to handstand right now."
No just handstand when he needs to.

And it would give him more mobility. And hanstandz

FOR A MOVESET:

Yes.

Neutral B: Grape shooter
He shoots a damn grape

Side B: Orange greanade
Throws that thing

UP B: Inflate Himself, JUST LIKE A BALOON
This crazy Kong.. Inflates himself, YOU DIDN'T READ!?

DOWN B: Hand Stand: When He Needs To
Only WHEN Lanky absolutely, and without further delay, and up for his own choice depending for the current necessities then yes, he can do it. But only for practical purposes. He has more mobility, and yes, that's handy, but do you always need that? No.

The rest is pure awesomeness

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I still am hopeful that Lanky can return to a Donkey Kong game because of all his crazy abilities. He really allows for cool uniwue gameplay, and seeing as platformers are making a sort of return, Donkey Kong could get a 3D game again as well. Camelot wanted to make a DK64 sequel, if that happens, I think that would be a perfrct oppertunity to bring Lanky back.

EdwardSponge

Smash Apprentice
I still am hopeful that Lanky can return to a Donkey Kong game because of all his crazy abilities. He really allows for cool uniwue gameplay, and seeing as platformers are making a sort of return, Donkey Kong could get a 3D game again as well. Camelot wanted to make a DK64 sequel, if that happens, I think that would be a perfrct oppertunity to bring Lanky back.
Im gonna ride this hype train of eventual dissapointment till I die.

I've been on a k rool hype train for 16 years and it stilk hasn't reached its station. Maybe some day dreams will come true.

When that day comes, Ill take it to the fridge.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Im gonna ride this hype train of eventual dissapointment till I die.

I've been on a k rool hype train for 16 years and it stilk hasn't reached its station. Maybe some day dreams will come true.

When that day comes, Ill take it to the fridge.
Well same here, ever since Diddy was confirmed I knew that the minimal quota of DKC characters was fullfilled yet I wasn't satisfied fully. DKC is a giant series, and we've been unlucky with the whole Rare-buyout fiasco during Melee's development. I still think that if Diddy Kong would've made it into Melee at least, our situation would've been fixed with Brawl maybe.. If Brawl would have added Dixie Kong as well, all would've been fine.

K.Rool is enjoy a lot of popularity, and I think DK64's release on the Virtual Console helped that. As well as Donkey Kong Country the original game always being one of the more popular VC titles out there as well, and recently got released on the SNES Mini.

It might take a while but am confident we'll have our wallnuts, peanuts, and pineapple smells. Maybe even grapes, melons, oranges in the coconot shells? OH YEAH!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I too voted Lanky on the ballot, at least a couple of times. Still think that he would make a genuine cool newcomer in Smash Bros., although the long-arms-grappler archetype might be fulfilled with an ARMS character at this point... Which is a shame. If Lanky only appeared in that game, he would have a real solid chance right now... But alas.

Also I found this and found it amazing:

tumblr_nfgaarZEse1tj50jro1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nfgaarZEse1tj50jro1_1280.jpg

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I love Lanky.

But I want to see him in ARMs first.
Lola Pop seems to be somewhat of a reference to Lanky, or at least gives a nod to people who wanted him in ARMS. She's a clown who has the powers to inflate like a balloon. I think that's something... Though actual Lanky Kong would make make me that much more happy.

Am pretty confident that out of the existing Kongs not playable in Tropical Freeze, they would choose Lanky first in a new platformer game because of the gameplay options that he could allow.

EdwardSponge

Smash Apprentice
Gonna try and start a new speedrun catagory for dk64 called Graceless% where you have to glitch into angry aztec at the start of the game, free Lanky kong and exclusively play him for the rest of the run (except the k rool fight) and collect all boss keys before k rool.

Edit:just realised Lank can't reach Hideout helm. YET

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Man you make me envious. Haven't played DK64 in the longest time. Probably would've if I ever gotten a Wii U. Wii was my last console after all. I however still appriciated the fact they brought DK64 back to the VU. Did they ever had to edit the Jetpac mini-game out? I remember that being discussed in the old K.Rool thread.

Anyway, I still remember DK64 fondly. It's just a shame that Rare chose to invest more in other titles of them. Many claim DK64 to be a watered down Banjo-Kazooie, and while I always prefered DK64 because of the characters alone, I now see that Banjo-Kazooie was indeed a more solid and polished game. If they would just given DK64 a little more love and maybe development time, I doubt the whole franchise would've gone on a hiatus so long. Even with the buyout of Rare considered... A strong 3D platfoming game would have helped the namesake of Donkey Kong that much more. It would make developers be that much more excited to work with the franchise.

I still love the PAON games, and they had two great games I played and enjoyed immensively; DK King of Swing and DK Jungle Climber. Thought those ideas for spin-offs where great ideas and they brought a lot of the old characters back. DK Barrel Blast even had Lanky in it. Still wish that PAON could make more Donkey Kong games. That there isn't yet a 3DS Donkey Kong game from them is pretty upsetting.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
To tell you the truth, Lanky's one of my most fave Kongs in the series in very wholehearted manner, back when there weren't any memes made about him. Must had been his kooky yet very lovable charm (as much as the rap tries to deny it). I just loved the lil' goofer.

So I think his status today is bit odd one for me to take in - it doesn't offend me entirely, but at the same time, it's bit strange how he was given this "reputation" out of nowhere on my eyes.

Lanky in Smash though? Interesting. IDK if I'd rally for him, but I'd be pretty happy if I saw him in all his graceful glory.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Wish granted.

While I would rather want Tiny and Chunky in first, I'm all for Lanky as well. His debut gives plenty of material to use for a moveset.

Am pretty confident that out of the existing Kongs not playable in Tropical Freeze, they would choose Lanky first in a new platformer game because of the gameplay options that he could allow.
Incidentally, I was thinking about what the 64 trio would bring to the table in a hypothetical new Retro DKC, and he'd certainly be the least likely to drown.

Last edited:

DLEAF

Smash Apprentice
Wish granted.

While I would rather want Tiny and Chunky in first, I'm all for Lanky as well. His debut gives plenty of material to use for a moveset.

Incidentally, I was thinking about what the 64 trio would bring to the table in a hypothetical new Retro DKC, and he'd certainly be the least likely to drown.
I would pay good money for a DKC sequel with Lanky in it, especially if that means he could one day make it into Smash.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
From that game...

Maybe not Lanky

However
8C1yqmrx.jpg

I'm not a furry but...

How closely are humans related to chimps again?

Last edited:

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
I've only played Donkey Kong Country Returns for my Wii. But, I'm planning on getting Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for the Switch when I get it. I support!

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Hmm, well he is technically the reason for half my username, as I too have no style, no grace, and have a funny face.

Plus I can stretch my arms out just for you.

But strangely enough, he was probably my least favorite Kong in 64 (at least before the Tiny design retcon, I really didn't like they made Dixie's LITTLE sister into what she is now.)

I'm all for DK64 content in Smash though. Honestly I only expect music at the bare minimum, but one can hope some of the great Kongs (Chunky and Lanky especially) can make it in as trophies or hell, an Assist Trophy! And maybe this will help push having more of these Kongs in later DK games.

StoneMask

Smash Cadet
I totally support Lanky Kong for Smash. He is hilarious, and has moves from his original game that would translate very well toa Smash moveset. DK64 is one of my favorite games of all time. I love the DK Rap.

grizby2

Smash Lord
support alllll the way. his dash attack would be SO ****ing good. lol

his forward air would have to be his air attack from dk 64.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Lanky is a character that's probably been kind of ruined by memes unfairly. I think he's a great character. Maybe I'm just biased because I love orangutans more than Gorillas but he seems like the most unique Kong of the bunch. I don't understand why Chunky and Tiny exist, since they're pale imitations of Dixie and Kiddie, but Lanky should have gone on to be a regular character...

Now as for the question at hand, "Do I want him in Smash?"

Well... Dixie Kong as the more important omission from the DK series... and after that... I feel like other Nintendo IPs need fluffing up a bit once we get her... but after that??? Yeah... Once we get Dixie and a few more glaring omissions, then I think it should be anything goes for characters, and I would actually welcome Lanky.

Top Bottom