• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Health Spotlight: CVS (With A Giveaway!)

While they may be called video 'games', the health problems gaming can lead into are no playful matter. Ironically many of these have gained nicknames from Nintendo products such as Nintendinitis or acute Wiiitis. With more and more players facing injuries from playing competitive video games it seems like the time is now to help educate players on how to keep their bodies healthy and in working order. Health Spotlight articles aim to do just that. Each article we will cover an aspect of gaming health and give helpful tips and tricks to keep readers gaming long and healthy. This week the theme is:

CVS

A player that has blurred vision, severe eye pain, or light sensitivity will find playing incredibly difficult Without healthy eyes life as a competitive gamer is extremely difficult. There are amazing inspirational stories like Rattlehead, a blind gamer who was able to reach the finals of his Mortal Kombat pool at Evo 2014 and previous was shown on stream at Evo 2013, but for the most part the eyes are the gateway to the gaming experience.

Unfortunately by playing games we put a lot of extra stress on our eyes. If you game for over two consecutive hours looking at a screen you are among those with the greatest risk for developing CVS: Computer Vision Syndrome. This can cause permanent vision damage and eye pain which will certainly affect gaming performance as well as life outside of gaming. Some of its most common symptoms are:
  • Eyestrain
  • Headaches
  • Blurred Vision
  • Dry Eyes
  • Neck and Shoulder Pain
The Causes

Several things can lead to CVS. One of the big problems with playing on gaming devices is that digital screens force the eyes to work harder. This is turn makes gamers more susceptible to develop vision related problems. Glare and reflections on screens make viewing more difficult as well as the angle sat at when viewing the screen. The way we view screens places our eyes in different positions than when reading or writing so it demands even more on the visual system.

If a player already has eye problems and they aren't being treated, CVS will become even worse. Those who have glasses or contacts to help with previous issues will do much better but that still is not enough. According to the American Optometrist Association, "Eyeglasses or contact lenses prescribed for general use may not be adequate for computer work." This is because most glasses aren't designed to look at a screen. Special lenses exist to try and help with eye strain and there are frames designed so user won't have to tilt their heads at odd angles to properly see digital media.

Ways To Prevent CVS

Fortunately there are several ways to prevent CVS. If any readers already have vision issues going untreated the first step should be to visit an Optometrist to make sure things like specialized glasses, contacts, or visual therapy are not a necessity. To help reduce problems for all gamers there are some very simple steps that can be taken. These are taken from the American Optometrist Association and have been adapted to better suite a gaming environment:
  • Location of screen - Most people find it more comfortable to view a computer when the eyes are looking downward. Optimally, the screen should be 15 to 20 degrees below eye level (about 4 or 5 inches) as measured from the center of the screen and 20 to 28 inches from the eyes.
  • Lighting - Position the computer screen to avoid glare, particularly from overhead lighting or windows. Use blinds or drapes on windows and replace the light bulbs in desk lamps with bulbs of lower wattage.
  • Anti-glare screens - If there is no way to minimize glare from light sources, consider using a screen glare filter. These filters decrease the amount of light reflected from the screen.
  • Seating position - Chairs should be comfortably padded and conform to the body. Chair height should be adjusted so your feet rest flat on the floor. If your chair has arms, they should be adjusted to provide arm support while you are playing.
  • Rest breaks - To prevent eyestrain, try to rest your eyes when gaming for long periods. Rest your eyes for 15 minutes after two hours of continuous use. Also, for every 20 minutes of viewing, look into the distance for 20 seconds to allow your eyes a chance to refocus.
  • Blinking - To minimize your chances of developing dry eye when gaming, make an effort to blink frequently. Blinking keeps the front surface of your eye moist.
Gamer Glasses

TSM | ZeRo Wearing Gunnar Optiks Glasses

Another way to help reduce eye stress while gaming is to use specially designed gaming glasses. These glasses as designed to help reduce eye stress by filtering out harsh blue lights from screens, reducing glare and reflective light, and more. The science is there to back up these glasses work as well and they can be a serious benefit to gamers playing. Just remember these are not a substitute for actual prescription eye products from an Optometrist, only a helpful supplement. For players who do spend over two hours playing continuously in front of a screen glasses like these could be helpful.

---​

Hopefully these tips will help readers keep their eyes healthy and avoid CVS. We would like to do our own part in aiding reader's gaming health as well and are proud to announce a special giveaway! We will be giving away one pair of 'Wraith' glasses courtesy of NoScope to one lucky reader. Entering helps support some of the writers and staff on Smashboards and our sister site Squidboards so be sure to sign up!

The information contained in this article is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, it is provided for educational purposes only.

Last edited:

Comments

I like to think the front page can be more than just 'news'. We've had articles on how to host tournaments, editorials, and bunches of other stuff. I just wanna see my gaming friends in good health :)
I think Its more of the site telling people to take care of themselves when they should already thats making me laugh know but I get ya~

Last edited:
Interesting. I am already following some of the advice, but this is still useful. I also thought Zero was wearing glasses because he had vision problems, so it's cool to know where they came from. Thanks LiteralGrill LiteralGrill

Thankyou for making me and many others aware of this. I'll be sure to have some breaks and blinky stuffs.

Interesting. I am already following some of the advice, but this is still useful. I also thought Zero was wearing glasses because he had vision problems, so it's cool to know where they came from. Thanks LiteralGrill LiteralGrill
If I'm not mistaken he wears them for both. Gunnars can be customized with your personal prescription and I'm pretty confident that Zero was wearing normal glasses back when I first saw him from Melee.

Also please stretch your hands. It sounds absurd but I'm going through hell at 27, if I can pass on one simple little step to any of you, Sit up while you play, and stretch your hands every now and then.

Also please stretch your hands. It sounds absurd but I'm going through hell at 27, if I can pass on one simple little step to any of you, Sit up while you play, and stretch your hands every now and then.
I plan to have articles addressing hand stretches, posture, and more. The giveaway just timed well with this first article. All of these things ARE important.

Buying gunnars is dumb when you can just wear any old $10 pair of sunglasses while you play. Just hope your venue isin't dark af

I've been having headaches and eye problems since I started playing Sm4sh seriously. I never really thought much about it untill now. Thanks for making this!

Thanks SmashCapps. It's nice to see health and gaming brought to people's attention like this. Taking care of your body is very important. I hope that everyone that has read this at least learns or gets something out of this and not shrug it off completely, because it may help you more than you think.

I plan to have articles addressing hand stretches, posture, and more. The giveaway just timed well with this first article. All of these things ARE important.
Isn't there already an article like that on Smashboards?

...but even after reading it, it still sounds like too much effort, and gaming equipment is too expensive....

Last edited:
If I want a healthy mind, I have to take capsules that "change" how I act.
If I want a healthy body, I have to exercise and eat a perfect freaking Diet.
If I want healthy eyes, I have to...

Screw it I'm a rebel to these dumb "health" methods.

I've been meaning to purchase a pair of Gunnars, but they are rather expensive. They seem like something worth putting money into in the long run to dodge getting CVS though.

This article is really helpful to gamers and I'd love to see a weekly advise instead of biweekly, but that's me.

Ironically, had this was out two weeks ago, I would've been embarrassed. I found out that I may have carpal tunnel in both of my arms, which affects the nerves, mostly in my wrist. To lessen it, I've been avoiding hardcore gaming (which I don't do that much anymore) along with adjusting my positions with my wrist with anything technology-related. This is a serious situation that could end up requiring surgery if not properly taken care of.

So gamers, remember to take breaks often! While you may want to drive to be the very best, your bodies and your eyes will appreciate the breaks in the long run with lessening the amount of possible injuries you could end up getting.

It's very good that these health related issues are brought to attention since many people are uninformed or simply doesn't think about it.

While i haven't had any eye issues, I've struggled with severe thumb/hand pain (probably inflammation) for more than a month now and have been unable to play because of it. I could probably have prevented it if i had simply been more careful and done the different recommended hands excersises before playing.

Last edited:
Hey LiteralGrill LiteralGrill , I wear prescription glasses and was wondering, is it possible for me to wear something such as Gunnars with my lenses? I have horrible vision that is constantly degrading, and I can't sacrifice using my normal glasses, even if it means not being able to play smash.

Thanks,
Gabriel

Hey LiteralGrill LiteralGrill , I wear prescription glasses and was wondering, is it possible for me to wear something such as Gunnars with my lenses? I have horrible vision that is constantly degrading, and I can't sacrifice using my normal glasses, even if it means not being able to play smash.

Thanks,
Gabriel
NoScope offers glasses that can go over your normal prescriptions and Gunnars have prescription lenses too! Normal glasses can also get a coating to help reduce issues with glare from computer screens.

Top Bottom