• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Headbutt follow ups?

NME

Smash Cadet
While they're buried, is the best option a f-smash or taunt(lol) ?

IIRC when you come out the ground, you're invincible for a couple of frames

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
U-air, u-smash, d-air, donkey punch, f-smash, d-smash and taunt are all acceptable follow ups I'd believe.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
It depends on their percent. If it's low, you'll want to use something like dair or uair to pop them up to start a combo. At kill percent, fsmash seems optimal. Charging the big punch is also an option, though taunting seems like the best option of them all.

jonnobigz

Smash Apprentice
It depends on their percent. If it's low, you'll want to use something like dair or uair to pop them up to start a combo. At kill percent, fsmash seems optimal. Charging the big punch is also an option, though taunting seems like the best option of them all.
In Melee, when you hit somebody buried, they cannot be knocked back. Dair will not pop them up, and Fsmash will not hit them away, they will simply take the damage.

I've actually found that if they don't mash out, DownB racks up the most damage the fastest. But it also is the most punishable. Possibly an UpB that will hopefully knick them as they get out of their invuln. Also because it has relatively low endlag and can do up to 30% damage.

Other options are spamming tilts or a smash on them while buried, but it won't do as much damage. Another option is to just position yourself and get ready to hit them out of the air when they are popped up.

JRad

Smash Apprentice
They are invincible for more than just a few frames it seems like and its really easy to mash out so unless you just want to hit them with one move and no other follow up then I would trhow out a tilt or down b. I either just charge punch or run to where they are in the ground and then uair them if they double jump or upb them with the sweetspot if they don't. You shouldn't really be using this move anyway. I only ever land it on accident or if I am trolling and do cargo uthrow side b into the ground

Last edited:

The Young Izzy Iz

Smash Apprentice
What's the mobility like when they pop up? Are they aerial for a few frames? When's the soonest frame they can act? Might be worth it to jab -> Hold shield -> Grab / JC grab depending on when / how they can act after mashing out.

Metà

Smash Master
If you hit them with the aerial version they won't go into the ground. Many people won't expect this and miss the tech, I've gotten janky stuff like f-smash or up-b and it's pretty funny.

but it's a terrible move overall and should only be used to disrespect. the actual grounded part has no true follow-ups so if I land it I often just take the time to charge my punch, or wait in my shield to bait out their invincible attack

Top Bottom