• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

He Has a Bone to Pick With You: The Sans Thread that was coming anyway...

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I just noticed something, rewatching Sans' "reveal" during the Mii costume showcase in the Banjo-Kazooie demonstration.

People have already pointed out the two Villagers, representing the two main human children, using a stick then a Killing Edge, representing the starting and endgame weapons, as well as the spaghetti and hot dog behind each Villager calling back to Papyrus' favorite food and what Sans sells in Hotland. Sans also dodges both Villagers' attacks, showing his penchant for dodging the one time you can fight him.

People have also pointed out the yellow Piranha Plant representing Flowey, who steps into frame after the camera briefly focuses on a Fire Flower, showcasing Flowey's transformation from something innocent-looking into something monstrous. Unlike with the two Villagers, Sans attacks Piranha Plant here since Flowey mentioned Sans being the cause of his never being able to finish a No Mercy run.

Then, in both cases, the stages were Balloon Fight, then Mario Bros. Some people thought their significance merely amounted to being faux-retro like Undertale's aesthetic was, with black backgrounds like Undertale's battle screens.

Here's the thing I don't think people have noticed or pointed out: those stages?

They're the only two stages in the game with screen wrap-around, referencing Sans' ability to appear somewhere else after walking off-screen.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I don't know how many of yall follow pro wrestling (I don't, but I know people that do), but Kenny Omega really showed up to a match dressed as our boy Sans. It still blows my mind that Undertale started off as this niche little indie game and has become so influential to the point where professional wrestlers are dressing up as Sans on live TV

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I don't know how many of yall follow pro wrestling (I don't, but I know people that do), but Kenny Omega really showed up to a match dressed as our boy Sans. It still blows my mind that Undertale started off as this niche little indie game and has become so influential to the point where professional wrestlers are dressing up as Sans on live TV
I watched this live last night and just started shouting at the top of my lungs the moment the Sans noise played. I was laughing about it well into the night. It was both incredibly exciting and completely bizarre. Exactly how I felt when he was confirmed for Smash. Hilarious.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I saw that this was posted about a week ago on Toby Fox's Youtube channel, and I can't believe that it hasn't been talked about more.

In particular, the music's great.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It seems that Sans' Mii costume was originally going to have fingers.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Today's the fifth anniversary of Undertale's release, so Toby Fox posted a development update on Deltarune.

Sounds like progress is being made, though he's having some health troubles. I don't think anyone's going to take him up on the job opportunity to transform into a new wrist for him, though.

Also, Sakurai posted a picture of the day to acknowledge it. (along with Persona 5's anniversary in a separate tweet)

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
Today's the fifth anniversary of Undertale's release, so Toby Fox posted a development update on Deltarune.

Sounds like progress is being made, though he's having some health troubles. I don't think anyone's going to take him up on the job opportunity to transform into a new wrist for him, though.

Also, Sakurai posted a picture of the day to acknowledge it. (along with Persona 5's anniversary in a separate tweet)

Ness's going to regret farming for that 1/128 drop...
I mean, he was already getting pretty serious at a lvl 20 Frisk, so imagine him meeting a Lvl 99 Ness.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've been making movesets for the game Fraymakers (in case anyone missed the announcement, here's a trailer - it's by the same people who made the Super Smash Flash games), and I just made a moveset for Sans.

I figure it would probably work for a Smash moveset as well, and while it might not be as organized as some other movesets that I've put together (I had to stretch it a bit to come up with melee attacks), I like how it turned out.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm replaying Deltarune chapter 1 in case carrying over the save data does something. (even if it's relatively minor, like the heroes being called the Lancer Fan Club or the return of the giant duck, I'll take it) However, I don't think I'm going to bother with trying to beat Jevil - whether I'm trying the pacifist way or the violent way, the fight seems like it will take a long time and his attacks seem unpredictable.

I hope that skipping the Jevil fight doesn't result in me missing something, but I didn't bother with the genocide route in Undertale, and I don't think I'll worry about the secret bosses in Deltarune.

Still, it's fun to revisit the first chapter - the characters are great, and it's been a while since I played the Switch version, so it's nice to get a refresher.

EDIT: Started chapter 2 - I've only just returned to the dark world, and the game's already made me laugh a few times. (plus, sparing enemies gets you bonuses now, which is nice)

Last edited:
Top Bottom