• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

He Has a Bone to Pick With You: The Sans Thread that was coming anyway...

1.21 Jiggawatts

Smash Cadet
At least Ultimate will probably be his final Smash game (where is that Kid Icarus Uprising Sequel anyway).
Where did you get that info?

On a different note
I think if Sans somehow made it to smash here are two stage ideas
- Underground - A traveling stage that goes around the Underground. The stage is the Riverperson's boat.
- Ruins - Nothing special, where the fight begins
- Snowdin - Has ice which makes character slide
- Waterfall - Undyne's spears will appear from the ground
- Hotlands/ Core - Lasers will slide across the stage, orange (must move) and blue (must stand still)

- Fight Screen - The stage is the Undertale battle screen and different enemies will appear. Characters can attack the enemies to defeat them and stop stage hazards
- Papyrus - Bones will slide across the bottom
- Undyne - Spears will fall from the ceiling
- Mettaton - Bombs will fall on the stage and will explode if hit (work like X-bomb)
- Asgore - Pillars of fire will rise out of the ground after a warning
- Toriel - Fireballs will float from the ceiling

Last edited:

Extrain

Smash Journeyman
I’m not sure why but I’m joining the sans brigade. I guess the leak nonsense made me forget how much I’d actually enjoy him as a character.

For once we’re in a period where the final 2 newcomers aren’t known/leaked so here’s hoping for a pipe dream
3A39EA52-F97D-4AC2-AA5B-847BEAEAB83C.png

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Okay I'm here to make an announcement. Because the Mark of Erdrick is the DQ series logo and not Slime, I really don't see us getting a Human SOUL as the series logo for Undertale over the Delta Rune. Regardless of whether Sans or Frisk arrives.

MajoraMoon

Smash Apprentice
Okay I'm here to make an announcement. Because the Mark of Erdrick is the DQ series logo and not Slime, I really don't see us getting a Human SOUL as the series logo for Undertale over the Delta Rune. Regardless of whether Sans or Frisk arrives.
That makes sense. Though to be fair, Slime appears in the stage or possibly his taunts like Joker's.

Last edited:

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
The Slime is really more like Dragon Quest's mascot than its actual symbol. It may be more iconic than Erdrick's symbol, but it doesn't really make much of an emblem. The SOUL is already Undertale's biggest emblem; it's right there on the game's title art. It's one of those things where even people who haven't played Undertale might recognize it, whereas you probably have to have played the game to know what the Delta Rune is. Heck, I personally didn't even know the significance of the Delta Rune until like my second or third playthrough.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
The Slime is really more like Dragon Quest's mascot than its actual symbol. It may be more iconic than Erdrick's symbol, but it doesn't really make much of an emblem. The SOUL is already Undertale's biggest emblem; it's right there on the game's title art. It's one of those things where even people who haven't played Undertale might recognize it, whereas you probably have to have played the game to know what the Delta Rune is. Heck, I personally didn't even know the significance of the Delta Rune until like my second or third playthrough.
So my real beef with the SOUL is that pixel art is not retained for series symbols, which is a massive problem for the Human SOUL because it would simply turn into a big grey heart. The most notable, iconic Human SOUL is the red one, take the color and pixelation away and it's literally just a heart. Hearts are not a motif in Undertale beyond the SOUL concept, and when it's not red and pixelated, can't really be told apart from any other series with a heart motif.

Conversely, the Delta Rune...
  • Shows up as early as the intro.
  • Is prominent on the designs of some very important characters, for example Toriel.
  • You only really go the length of Hotland without seeing it, otherwise it's a decently common presence.
  • In both of the main final boss fights (that is, the ones that come before a True Reset, the ones that most define Undertale, the ends of Pacifist and Genocide), either the boss themselves or the backdrop the boss fights you in prominently features it.
  • Is a symbol with a specific meaning that relates to the story, and depending on interpretation, the gameplay of Undertale.
  • Future-proofs Deltarune characters, given they come from the same series now, and there it's even more prominent, at least for Chapter 1 (arguably more so than SOULs).
    • Also future-proofs other series that have hearts as a motif. I can't name an example right now, though.
  • While the SOUL is a prominent figure in Undertale, so is the Delta Rune.
  • Is recognizable in a non-pixelated, grayscale form, unlike the SOUL.
Really, it's not that big of a deal, but I think that we're getting the Delta Rune for these reasons. I'd be shocked if we do get a SOUL, and the soul is pixelated to make it distinctive from other series associated with hearts.

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
So my real beef with the SOUL is that pixel art is not retained for series symbols, which is a massive problem for the Human SOUL because it would simply turn into a big grey heart. The most notable, iconic Human SOUL is the red one, take the color and pixelation away and it's literally just a heart. Hearts are not a motif in Undertale beyond the SOUL concept, and when it's not red and pixelated, can't really be told apart from any other series with a heart motif.

Conversely, the Delta Rune...
  • Shows up as early as the intro.
  • Is prominent on the designs of some very important characters, for example Toriel.
  • You only really go the length of Hotland without seeing it, otherwise it's a decently common presence.
  • In both of the main final boss fights (that is, the ones that come before a True Reset, the ones that most define Undertale, the ends of Pacifist and Genocide), either the boss themselves or the backdrop the boss fights you in prominently features it.
  • Is a symbol with a specific meaning that relates to the story, and depending on interpretation, the gameplay of Undertale.
  • Future-proofs Deltarune characters, given they come from the same series now, and there it's even more prominent, at least for Chapter 1 (arguably more so than SOULs).
    • Also future-proofs other series that have hearts as a motif. I can't name an example right now, though.
  • While the SOUL is a prominent figure in Undertale, so is the Delta Rune.
  • Is recognizable in a non-pixelated, grayscale form, unlike the SOUL.
Really, it's not that big of a deal, but I think that we're getting the Delta Rune for these reasons. I'd be shocked if we do get a SOUL, and the soul is pixelated to make it distinctive from other series associated with hearts.
What others series' logos really need the pixels to be recognizable? Just curious here, maybe I don't know my logos as well as I should. I feel like it's just artistic liberty to un-pixelate things like the logos, but I don't think they'd do it to the SOUL since, like you said, it would take away from its design.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Sans is being rerated in the Rate Their Chances thread. Come show your support.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
So, Sans is a character I am utterly embarrassed to admit that I genuinely want to see become playable.

I really like the idea of a fighter whose every move looks relaxed and effortless. Sans could just wave his arm or snap his fingers to attack with magic bones and laser beams, and that would be really unique in Smash. He would also be a really cool glass cannon, a character who can do a ton of damage, but dies quicker than Pichu when an opponent gets the chance.

I know he’s a huge meme, but I unironically think he’d be a very fun addition. His chances are low as hell (even if Undertale was considered, the spot would probably go to the boring player character as usual), but he’s definitely my dark horse pick.

Last edited:

MajoraMoon

Smash Apprentice
I merged your thread with the original one; it seemed simpler.
Wait, does that mean there are two sans supporter threads now? Oh wait nvm. XD

Also,
So, Sans is a character I am utterly embarrassed to admit that I genuinely want to see become playable.

I really like the idea of a fighter whose every move looks relaxed and effortless. Sans could just wave his arm or snap his fingers to attack with magic bones and laser beams, and that would be really unique in Smash. He would also be a really cool glass cannon, a character who can do a ton of damage, but dies quicker than Pichu when an opponent gets the chance.

I know he’s a huge meme, but I unironically think he’d be a very fun addition. His chances are low as hell (even if Undertale was considered, the spot would probably go to the boring player character as usual), but he’s definitely my dark horse pick.
There is no reason to be embarrassed about supporting a character. And funnily enough, Undertale has a HUGE chance on getting a rep (though it is possible it would be Frisk but I would be satisfied nonetheless).

Last edited:

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Didn't know this thread existed, but count me as a support, both of Sans and an Undertale rep in general. Pretty sick of people Dismissing undertale as just "memes" and ****, so i hope Sans or my second and third choices Frisk or Papyrus gets in. Personally i think the recent Paragon Leak may be possibly real but i want to wait for more info to come out before we can say it's fake or real either-way. Right now there's a lot going for it but also some stuff against it, but in general it's a very confusing and weird leak that may be real but we don't know for sure.

Let's hope Undertale gets a chance to be in smash, and that Sans gets a chance and doesn't geeeeeeeet Dunked on. :p

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Sans would be a good pick to end the DLC. Or as a start of the DLC. Or the middle. Or the penultimate part. All parts would be good for Sans.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Hey what do you know we got a constalation prize we got in as a mii gunner costume and we got a music too

gives me hope for the real deal as well

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
He got in, at least as a Mii fighter

That's still pretty damn good

Also he was highly requested too, so this probably gives him an even better chance for the next smash game, or if we're lucky, later dlc (unless we get frisk of course, which they would be cool as well)

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
Best Mii costume ever. No, really. It looks like a legitimate fighter. Plus MEGALOVANIA.
Sans pretty much destroyed Terry's reveal.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yep, Sans is a Mii costume

...Because Papyrus is going to be the character

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
We did it, gamers. Our boy made it in with a Megalovania remix. Kinda sad we might not be getting a full-fledged Undertale character, but the fact Sans made it in at all is ****ing amazing in its own right. This is the most excited I've been for anything Smash related since Joker and it's for a 75 cent Mii costume

ZelDan

Smash Master
Would have preferred playable obviously, but with how awkward his situation was when it came to playable chances and the announcement of more DLC can't say I'm terribly upset.

TheFVguy

Smash Apprentice
Congrats everyone. Honestly, this seems awesome cause we actually got Undertale content represented! That's insane!

SargeAbernathy

Smash Apprentice
For a Mii Costume, it's really decent. I think a LOT of people will be using this now. Very nice!

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
I can't even see a hint of the mii underneath that costume. Sans might as well be an echo fighter at this point.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Congrats!

I never played Undertale (read all about it, though), but that song alone is easily worth the 75 cents. I'm going to have to look into the game's OST because that was good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom