• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

He Has a Bone to Pick With You: The Sans Thread that was coming anyway...

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I would love to see Sans in Smash. Him and Banjo are the only characters I really care to see at this point. Really any Undertale representation in Smash would make me giddy. Let’s wish our boneboy luck!

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
If sans got in, do you think we would get some Delta Rune spirits as well as Undertale ones?
I would think so. Unlike Persona or Final Fantasy, Sans appears to be a major character in both and is sort of the de facto mascot of the whole... series(?). Joker and Cloud both represent particular entries of their respective franchises as opposed to the entire series.

MajoraMoon

Smash Apprentice
Nah. I love Undertale, and I think Sans is cool.

Somehow, despite The Grinch, I memed Incineroar into the base roster. Now I will try to use that power for Sans.
Ah ok, I see. Well, welcome to the club! hope your memes bring luck XD

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
How To Make A Character A Meme:
Step 1: Request that they be in Smash
Step 2: Done

srsly I'm getting tired of people calling every character who isn't in- but has a supporter fanbase- a meme

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Sans is the only hill I’m 110% willing to die on during this speculation cycle. I was able to will Joker into Smash through sheer determination and god dangit I’m gonna do the same for Mr. Undertale

Skeleton-o-puns

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone, after much consideration and consulting with my editor, I have reached a final verdict on Sans’s moveset. I will do a brief intro first.

Who is Sans?

Sans is a character from the cult classic indie title, Undertale. He first appears in Snowdin, along with his brother Papyrus. He served as a supporting character in the pacifist and neutral route, as well as the heroic antagonist as well as final boss, of the genocide route.

Why should he be in Smash?

I’m sure all of you know that we ALL have our fair share of indie disputes on who should make it first. (Myself included) The reason I picked Sans is because he actually has in-game attacks to use. Fnaf is a point and click, with the only method of attacking being jumpscares. Batim is a horror survival game that is like resident evil combined with an evil Mickey Mouse. Minecraft could work, as well as Banjo Kazooie or Crash Bandicoot, (Even though they’re not indie games) but which indie title has the best relationship with Nintendo? That’s right. Undertale. Besides Cuphead and Shovel Knight, I don’t see any mega Indie title characters having workable attacks to incorporate into a moveset. You can’t enter smash without a proper attack method. What’s B.O.I. Issac gonna do? Cry at his enemies? Sure. With the roasting of indie games out of the way, let’s get to the moveset itself.

Sans’s standard attacks could consist of basic punches, kicks, and bone swings. Gaster Blasters were tricky here. I wanted to incorporate his gaster blasters I’m a way they could be charged up, (i.e., smash attacks) but I wanted to have bones be a big part of those moves. So I decided to have his gaster blasters used exclusively for his specials. His jabs consist of a Kirby style of punches for example. Keep in mind that Sans won’t be using “regular” attacks often. The goal of playing as Sans is to move as little as possible while keeping your opponents as far away from you as possible. The only time he’ll have to get even remotely close is for his grabs. More on that later.

Status effects- Sans’s bone attacks inflict KR. This stands for Karmic Retribution. If you’re hit by a bone, poison is inflicted upon you, and it gradually does damage overtime. Only bone attacks do this.

Sometimes bones will be blue. If you see a bone that’s coming at you and it’s blue, don’t move, and it won’t hurt you. If you do move while touching a blue bone, you’ll take damage.

Specials- Now for the REAL part of the moveset: the specials.

Neutral- Gaster Blaster

Sans spawns a Gaster Blaster in front of him and fires it. It can be charged, and while you’re charging it, you can aim with the circle pad while holding B. When fully charged up, it can reach all the way across the stage, AND off the screen entirely! Each Gaster Blaster takes about 4-5 seconds to charge.

Side special- Bone spam

Sans shoots unlimited bones in a straight line forward. Sometimes the bones he shoots will come out blue instead of white. Like the Gaster Blaster it can be aimed in any direction via holding B and aiming via circle pad. (80% of Sans attacks are ranged based.) Each bone itself doesn’t do much damage, but because of how quickly it comes out, combined with the poison effect due to KR, if you end up getting hit by one bone, you’ll more then likely end up getting hit by another 50-something bones. (Not to mention the poison racking up damage simultaneously as well.)

Up special- Bone Cage

Originally I had a weird thing where if an opponent showed up behind Sans while he was doing his up special, a second blue bone cage would pop up. That was kind of weird, looking back on it. My solution? Ditch the two bone cages on either side thing, and have the blue bones sometimes pop up in front of Sans. When you imput upward while pressing B, a five-boned cage will pop up in front of Sans, occasionally being blue. You have the option of sending it forward, by simply imputing the direction you’re facing directly after imputing B and up. Doing this will send the bones sliding across the ground, or if you’re in midair, in a direct straight line. (This is one of his attacks you can’t aim with.) Sometimes a six-bone cage will spawn, in the shape of stairs. (Three tall bones next to three short bones.) Yes, those too shall occasionally be blue as well.

Down special- Shortcut

Sans disappears using his shortcut ability. Where you reappear depends on which direction you imput.

Grabs- Sans has MAJOR grabbing range, due to his ability to grab a character’s soul. When grabbing as Sans, instead of grabbing them with your hands, you grab them by their soul. The higher damage they’ve taken the more difficult it is to break free. (Note that you can only grab one character at a time.)

Throws- Sans has GREAT combo potential. One of the coolest is his soul throwing. After grabbing an opponent, imput in any direction you choose and Sans will send the opposing fighter flying in that direction in a straight line. If you want to get REALLY complex, you can spawn bone cages on nearby floors or walls to throw your opponents into. Simply press B while currently grabbing or currently throwing an opponent, and a special bone cage will spawn for you to throw them at. (Note that the “special” bone cages only spawn on walls and floors.) P. S.- Remember that you can only switch throwing directions directly AFTER you’ve slammed an opponent onto a wall or ceiling. You can’t change directions mid-throw.

Final Smash-

Send opposing fighters through your pre-“do nothing” attack, as they’re sent through a storm of Gaster Blasters, flurries of bones, and slammed around via soul throwing.

Taunts- After all those detailed descriptions, now comes the fun part!

Up- Sans drinks ketchup

Sides- Sans plays the trombone like he did in the Papyrus date scene.

Down- Sans shrugs while winking. This also triggers the “badum tsh” sound effect.

Winning animations- Sans can’t be a fighter without these!

1st- Sans says “Gettttt dunked on!!!!!!!” from the sparing Sans scene in Undertale.
2nd- Sans lies on the ground sleeping with the annoying dog.
3rd- Sans winks and teleports away.

Palette Swaps- And finally, the piece de resistance, the alternative costumes Sans can wear. It was a bit somewhat difficult deciding on whether to include the various AU’s, but after thoughtful consideration, I decided to pick a grab bag of Sans-es that I think you’ll find very innovative.

1st- Undertale look
2nd- Underfell look
3rd- Underswap look
4th- Outertale look
5th- Mobtale look
6th- Sans with Papyrus’s scarf on (post genocide Papyrus fight)
7th- Dusttale look
8th- Ultratale look

And that’s about it. Hope you enjoyed it. As always, stay determined. Have a good night.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Deltarune on Switch...

Don't let your dreams become memes.

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
I wish Deltarune Switch were a sign, but I also notice that people say "Oh so this game's gonna get Smash DLC" for EVERY game shown off in the Direct, so...

Last edited:

HaunterSpencer

Smash Cadet
NNID
HaunterSpencer
3DS FC
3583-3585-6107
Toby's getting chummy with Nintendo lately,
and with Undertale getting the top 1 spot in Japanese PSN + deltarune annoncement EVEN BEFORE STEAM GOT DELTARUNE, I wont be surprised if Nintendo *does* add an undertale/deltarune content in smash.

Personally, I just want the music to get in, and now deltarune is in Switch, I just wanna hear "Fields of Hopes and Dreams" while smashin.

HaunterSpencer

Smash Cadet
NNID
HaunterSpencer
3DS FC
3583-3585-6107
OK, I got bored sooo... here is my Rendition for Sans' Stock Icon
I figured that Sans would just have a pixilated heart with different colors to represent his alts, much like Pacman.
*and yes I hope to spam Sans in smash until Meme Magic would give us Sans lol*

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Gentlemen

That 5chan leak with the 4 other characters is now confirmed fake the dragon quest character translation is incorrect and we have a data mine of a Jane alt for joke (female alt from person 5 dlc)

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I booted up Undertale for the first time in a few years the other day and just completed a genocide route now. WOW. After another round of attempting to take down Sans, it made me realize that I would love to see him in Smash. Wish a lot of people would take that seriously, but it seems like Sans, Steve, and Waluigi will always just be known as memes, which is kind of a shame in my opinion. They either aren't taken seriously, or just considered jokes.

MajoraMoon

Smash Apprentice
I booted up Undertale for the first time in a few years the other day and just completed a genocide route now. WOW. After another round of attempting to take down Sans, it made me realize that I would love to see him in Smash. Wish a lot of people would take that seriously, but it seems like Sans, Steve, and Waluigi will always just be known as memes, which is kind of a shame in my opinion. They either aren't taken seriously, or just considered jokes.
Yea, shame about Waluigi. However, I do believe Sans and Steve have a very big chance to be in the fighters pass since it seems they are trying to attract new gamers to smash.

D

Deleted member

Which alt would you give to Sans?

I was thinking about giving him one where he wears a shirt featuring Gaster under a black jacket.

MajoraMoon

Smash Apprentice
Which alt would you give to Sans?

I was thinking about giving him one where he wears a shirt featuring Gaster under a black jacket.
I've been saying this time and time again. I would looooove to see them give some love to the Undertale community. Like having some fan-made music be in the dlc. But what I really want are Costumes based on AU's. If I had to choose just one, it would be Ink Sans. Since he is the one that unites all the AU's.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Can someone explain the Undertale sensation to someone who clearly missed it?

MajoraMoon

Smash Apprentice
Can someone explain the Undertale sensation to someone who clearly missed it?
I missed it as well actually. In fact, I missed the whole "toxic" community of Undertale. I highly recommend checking out Glitchtale, Handplates, and Nick Nitro's work. They're pretty sweet.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I thought Undertale was hugely popular. I did not think it would be a long while before someone helped me to understand the cultural significance.

1.21 Jiggawatts

Smash Cadet

This is hype. :eek:
Just because Sokari plays a game doesn't mean they are getting a smash rep. I feel bad for the guy, he cannot talk about the games he enjoys without fans going crazy and says they are going to get a smash rep

Sans Smash Moveset Idea

Neutral Special - Gaster Blaster - Sans summons a Gaster Blaster, which he can fire in any direction. Any opponents hit turn blue

Side Special - Bone Rush - Sans summons a bone which slides down the screen, multiple consecutive uses of the move will result in the bone shrinking

Up Special - Short Cut - Sans teleports upwards and direction can be muniplated by the joystick

Down Special - Dunk - Bone pillars appear around Sans, if a opponent has over 200% then they will be instantly killed

Final Smash - Bad Time - Sans attacks in front of him and anyone caught in it are teleported to a Undertale like battle screen when Sans attacks them

Throws - Sans can throw any blue opponent in any direction regardless of where they are

Extra - Sans' attacks deal no knockback but offers no invibilty frames, this applies to all Sans' Special and Normal attacks

MajoraMoon

Smash Apprentice
Just because Sokari plays a game doesn't mean they are getting a smash rep. I feel bad for the guy, he cannot talk about the games he enjoys without fans going crazy and says they are going to get a smash rep
True, it doesn't mean that they are getting a smash rep. But that doesn't mean that you can't speculate (that's what supporter threads are for). Also, you shouldn't post twice (or more) in a row. Just make it one post.

1.21 Jiggawatts

Smash Cadet
True, it doesn't mean that they are getting a smash rep. But that doesn't mean that you can't speculate (that's what supporter threads are for). Also, you shouldn't post twice (or more) in a row. Just make it one post.
Sorry, I'll try to minimize my post to 1
I think the only time you should only mention games Sokori played is when saying if Sokari even knows the character. Now if he praises the game, that is differnet

MajoraMoon

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, I'll try to minimize my post to 1
I think the only time you should only mention games Sokori played is when saying if Sokari even knows the character. Now if he praises the game, that is differnet
Why should there be any rules????? Again, speculation is all right. Also you misspelled Sakurai

Last edited:

1.21 Jiggawatts

Smash Cadet
Why should there be any rules????? Again, speculation is all right. Also you misspelled Sakurai
I don't think there should be any rules, but I think people get to over hyped for a character just because Sakurai played the game they are from. He is just a normal gamer like the rest of us and I feel bad he cannot talk about a game with people jumping back to Smash. Sakurai doesn't even like making Smash, but he feels forced by Nintendo due to his hatred for unoriginality in gaming. He quit his job at Hal Labs because he didn't like the way they were heading with Kirby and making the same game over and over but with slight differences. He was blackmailed into making Brawl. Nintendo told him if he didn't help make Brawl then they would port melee over with Wifi capability, nothing else different. Imagine if anything you did, everyone would link it back to something else. You want to try to branch out, but are constantly dragged back to that one thing.

MajoraMoon

Smash Apprentice
I don't think there should be any rules, but I think people get to over hyped for a character just because Sakurai played the game they are from. He is just a normal gamer like the rest of us and I feel bad he cannot talk about a game with people jumping back to Smash. Sakurai doesn't even like making Smash, but he feels forced by Nintendo due to his hatred for unoriginality in gaming. He quit his job at Hal Labs because he didn't like the way they were heading with Kirby and making the same game over and over but with slight differences. He was blackmailed into making Brawl. Nintendo told him if he didn't help make Brawl then they would port melee over with Wifi capability, nothing else different. Imagine if anything you did, everyone would link it back to something else. You want to try to branch out, but are constantly dragged back to that one thing.
At least Ultimate will probably be his final Smash game (where is that Kid Icarus Uprising Sequel anyway).

Top Bottom