• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

He Has a Bone to Pick With You: The Sans Thread that was coming anyway...

DerErlenkonig

Smash Cadet
I just simply wanted to share my opinion. It's not against the law to do so. Stop whining.
My reasoning is that just because a game gets added to the switch doesn't mean that *insert character* should be in Smash. Sans wouldn't fit in with the rest of the roster in my opinion. Also he has 1 hp in his game, and I can't think of a moveset that would work in Smash.
I can only speak for myself, but I think people were mostly reacting to the dismissiveness of your original post. Your response insulting people who like Undertale really shows you don't have interest in a good-faith conversation.

I actually agree that Sans probably wouldn't translate well mechanically, though I think the insane success of the game still warrants some level of content.

Its possible to have an honest disagreement mate. No need to start calling people crybabies.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I don't know about a character, but I'd be down for an Undertale stage based on the battle screen. Then they could cycle through all of the boss encounters with the main cast; Toriel, Sans, Papyrus, Undyne, Mettaton, Asgore. Well maybe not Asgore if they want to avoid end game spoilers.

What I want more than anything though would be the music. I only played through the game once, but I still listen to the soundtrack all the time.

As for actual chance, at best I could see a trophy or two and hopefully some music in the Other category.

I wouldn't be opposed if Sans or someone else actually got in, but similar to Minecraft I feel like Undertale is a game that can offer a lot except for when it comes to a playable character. I'm positive you can make most of the cast function with enough work and creative liberties, I just personally feel they're better suited for other roles.

Last edited:

TheJutin

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2432-2756-8217
Can we just get undertale music? Honestly I never played undertale, but that dang music! It’s just so good

tyrus+

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6650-4457-4607
Put me on the support list, I recently played Undertale and I was pretty amazed by it, and Sans definitely was my favorite character (2nd is Papyrus).

edit: typo

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

This might not be Undertale related, strictly speaking (the way that he words it makes it sound like something brand new), but whatever it is, we'll find out tomorrow around 9 AM EST. (Unless he's messing with us)

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'll wait till whatever it is is a real game. I don't play early access or weird ARG games.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
At the end of Chapter 1 you can interact with sans and he tells you, "Come back tomorrow and watch my little brother for me because I'll be busy."

Busy doing what exactly? Busy smashing that's wut.

Also I find it weird that the game is already fully translated into Japanese, I wonder why....

Last edited:

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
Well, Sans didn't make it to Smash. His invite is probably crumpled up in that junk mailbox of his...
Oh well, it's probably for the best. After all, he wouldn't last ten seconds in battle with Ultimate giving out penalties for excessive dodging;)

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
He could still be a Spirit.

Or even...an Adventure Mode boss...

Last edited:

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
He could still be a Spirit.

Or even...and Adventure Mode boss...
With the crazy amount of Spirits and how obscure a lot of them are, I would not be surprised at all if Frisk, Sans, and heck the rest of Undertale's bosses were Spirits. I could also see a Spirit fight against a yellow Pirahna Plant acting as Flowey, which would be dope

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Since Piranha Plant doesn't come out till after release, I doubt he'll show up in Spirits mode(unless new ones get added along with DLC).

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
Since Piranha Plant doesn't come out till after release, I doubt he'll show up in Spirits mode(unless new ones get added along with DLC).
The way Sm4sh worked was everyone was forced to download the DLC regardless, and purchasing it just unlocked the characters for use (so that you could face players using DLC online). So putting DLC characters as enemies in Spirits wouldn't be a problem, and would also serve to remind people to buy the DLC

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I don't think Sans would be a good choice to represent Undertale, seeing as he's almost impossible to provoke into fighting. The fact that he is in any way good in a scrap isn't something that should be common knowledge to anyone who hasn't been judged for committing genocide.

However, I do think Undertale deserves representation in the DLC roster, and I think that the character most suited to the position is TORIEL. I am prepared to post a thread advocating for her inclusion if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
You're fooling yourself.

The only two serious possibilities for a playable Undertale character are Frisk or Sans. Frisk because he's the protag, Sans because he's the most popular and recognizable character from the game. Nobody else even has a chance.

That said, I agree that being a playable character doesn't really suit Sans. He should either be an Assist Trophy or a Boss in Adventure Mode.

TheJutin

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2432-2756-8217
I think sans had more move set potential than Frisk, but Sakurai put fricking Piranha Plant in So... anything’s possible

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
I think sans had more move set potential than Frisk, but Sakurai put fricking Piranha Plant in So... anything’s possible
I wouldn't say sans has more moveset potential than Frisk, he's just got a more inherently obvious moveset.
Frisk has plenty of moveset potential (honestly though, every character does) and ways to represent Undertale's battle system (like some potentially clever way to incorporate ACTing and Sparing). But since Frisk's moveset isn't as visual as the enemy attacks in Undertale, and because of the combat system's nature, an obvious moveset doesn't easily come to mind and it takes more creative effort to think of one.

I can't believe sans undertale "befriended" my mom.

RedstoneGirl

Smash Rookie
I don't mind Sans being in Smash and all, but did you ever think that he would be a little bit too OP?

Just saying. Maybe Napstablook instead? I mean... I wouldn't want to have a bad time.

:ultincineroar:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Frisk has plenty of moveset potential (honestly though, every character does) and ways to represent Undertale's battle system (like some potentially clever way to incorporate ACTing and Sparing). But since Frisk's moveset isn't as visual as the enemy attacks in Undertale, and because of the combat system's nature, an obvious moveset doesn't easily come to mind and it takes more creative effort to think of one.
I mean, he's got one for sure, like you said, it's just not represented well visually in the game's battle system.

You got hitting people with sticks and knives, punching with tough gloves, kicks with ballerina shoes, shooting with a pop gun, swatting attacks away with frying pans, doing...something...with a notebook...

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Honestly; the best way to portray Frisk's "friend to all monsters" status is to have their friends help them out with some of their attacks. Maybe even "borrowing" attacks from other character's in the game.

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Sans would be a good choice to represent Undertale, seeing as he's almost impossible to provoke into fighting. The fact that he is in any way good in a scrap isn't something that should be common knowledge to anyone who hasn't been judged for committing genocide.

However, I do think Undertale deserves representation in the DLC roster, and I think that the character most suited to the position is TORIEL. I am prepared to post a thread advocating for her inclusion if anyone is interested.
Spoilers don't really seem to be a concern when choosing fighters; Lucina is a walking, talking spoiler for Fire Emblem Awakening. Plus, Sans is the most iconic Undertale character, and Frisk is the main character. Toriel, on the other hand, is neither. It'd be like if they decided to make Peppy Hare the only fighter for the Star Fox series. Sans is the most formidable fighter in Undertale, and the most popular and iconic character.

On a side note, it just occurred to me how hilarious/cool any given Undertale announcement splash could be. Think about it:

FRISK is determined to Smash!
SANS passes judgement!
TORIEL knows best!
PAPYRUS is preparing an attack!
UNDYNE suplexes her opponents!
METTATON.
ASGORE does what he must!

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
After finishing Deltarune, I sat down and had a deep think about the mere possibility of Sans in Smash.

And I decided...

I want it. I really, really want it. It means music. It means a fascinating moveset. It means a beautiful stage. It means a character I love would get in, memes be damned. It might be a running gag, but sometimes running gags are just safe ways to wish for things that will never happen.

I support Sans wholly and unironically. Welcome to the Bone Zone. Or something like that. The idea of him being announced as DLC is so remote but I want it.

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
Spoilers don't really seem to be a concern when choosing fighters; Lucina is a walking, talking spoiler for Fire Emblem Awakening.
I feel like it's less of a case of spoilers, and more of a case of being potentially disingenuous to the character and misrepresenting the game?
Really though, the only Undertale rep we should get is Asriel... as an echo fighter for Yoshi.

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
Actually, though I still would prefer it if Sans got in, I think Frisk actually has a really good, unique potential moveset, using the variety of weapons they find throughout the game:

Neutral B/Neutral A/Up tilt/Up Smash/Forward Air: Knife
Side B: Burnt Pan multi-hit combo attack
Up B: Empty Gun rocket-jump move
Down B: ACT. Hard to land, but inflicts attack and defense debuffs on opponent
Down Tilt/DSmash/DAir: Ballet Shoes
Side Smash/S Tilt: Torn Notebook, grants super armor
Back Air/Up Air: Burnt Pan
Grabs/throws: Tough Gloves

Two Final Smashes, like Ryu/Ken:
1) Nearby opponent: FIGHT. Chara appears and the two of them deliver a death blow to their opponent
2) No nearby opponents: MERCY: Deals no damage, but stuns/sleeps all opponents for a time

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Hey guys, new tweets from Sakurai came in.

So, who are the lucky contestants? We'll just have to wait and see...

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, new tweets from Sakurai came in.

So, who are the lucky contestants? We'll just have to wait and see...
"selection was made entirely by Nintendo." Interesting. Though if Pirahna Plant is what they came up with so far... I'm not filled with confidence, for Sans or for... anyone else people want, really. Here's hoping Pirahna Plant is just the cheap free fighter and we'll get more fitting choices in the paid DLC.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
If Nintendo goes for an Indy rep I feel like Sans is likely, but not as likely as Hollow Knight. Still, this is a BIG hypothetical, as good as Indies have been for Switch.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Hi there.

I unironically support this. I adore Undertale and would be thrilled to see it in Smash. Super unlikely, but is it so farfetched to think that Nintendo might suggest it for consideration?

One can dream.

Top Bottom