• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

He Has a Bone to Pick With You: The Sans Thread that was coming anyway...

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
*hey

*i heard you saw the new trailer for the Nintendo Switch port of Undertale...

*that's alright, nothing better than simply seeing one of the most unexpected titles come to life on a Nintendo system

*you know, considering it's Undertale, I can't really make this thread as serious as other character threads, but...

*doesn't mean I can't do something to twist it

*y'know?

*so Sans. That guy. Yeah, that very memorable skeleton of a character.

*this guy:

sans_sprite.jpg

*yeah, he's definitely now a possibility, much like any Indie character that's come on a Nintendo console now. He's right up there with Shovel Knight. With Undertale releasing sometime on the Switch, now's a time to add this bonehead to the speculation.

*who is Sans?

*Sans is an original character created by Toby Fox and his crew working on Undertale. He appears very early on in the game and greets you with a little joke. He's a witty, funny character who hides a very, very deep and powerful amount of power in him. He also helps you around the world if you're a good person, and really, he's a cool guy who loves his brother and enjoys being lazy.

*you ask what else he can do or is like, you get a stupid answer

*he also likes to make bone related puns...a lot. Like, really, not one conversation or interaction with him has him going without a bone pun

*anyway...

*why should Sans be in Smash Bros. for Switch?

*why not?

*what would he be like on the Smash Bros. game, if he were in?

*i would firmly believe that, if he were put into the game, he would be a glass cannon character, sporting very powerful attacks via bones, telekinesis, reality-bending and the Gaster Blasters. He would also have the best dodges in the game, with the invulnerability lasting until the end of the dodge itself, which is characteristic of him. However, these boons don't come without weaknesses, as Sans would be one of the lightest and slowest characters in the game, due to his laziness and his weakness to...anything. As well, his recovery would be average at best, and he would be mid-range with falling and air speed, just to make up with it.

*i would assume his specials would definitely include the Gaster Blasters and his telekinesis/reality-bending stuff. I could even see him having a counter to where he "doesn't want to fight", and unlike other counters, the counter activates if you do not hit him, and he's within range.

*i could also see him having some sort of telekinetic command grab where he can throw you in any direction, giving some good chunks of damage.

*also, I really don't see Sans as a sort of "physical" or "CQC" type of character, since he does have a dwarf-sized body. Rather, I'd see him being more of a disjointed character, and with this, he doesn't have super good frame data.

*now why Sans instead of everyone else?

*to be completely honest, out of all of the Undertale characters, the most iconic one out of all of them is of course, Sans himself. While characters like Papyrus, Undyne, Mettaton and even the Human, are also popular picks and could even have their own special movesets with one another, none of them are as iconic as Sans is. Also, Sans has the most unique attacks out of all of the Undertale characters, bar another route's endboss, with having an array of moves one can take from when making a move pool for him.

*no one comes close to him in almost every aspect, really.

*conclusion

*Sans is an iconic character from a vastly popular indie title. He's got as big a chance as anyone now, and if he's seen in the game, then not only will the internet potentially blow up, but that means he's that big of a character. In my personal opinion, Sans could get in under the right circumstances, and would make for an interesting new third party character for the game. Only time will tell for this character.

*maybe he'll get in and have a bone to pick with the cast, or maybe he won't because he's just too lazy to even do much of anything

*but what about you guys? What do you guys think? Think Sans could possibly get in under eventual circumstances that might lead you to end up fighting with or against him in a potential fight that may happen?

*so yeah...
what do you think? Tell me below...or don't, that's also fine...

Icon-256.png

Don't kill me over this.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Don't know how likely it is, but I'd have no problem if he was included.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Even though I'd rather have Papyrus, I wouldn't mind Sans in Smash.

Hell, or any Undertale content in general. His moveset speaks for itself.

Also, get in here Capybara Gaming Capybara Gaming

D

Deleted member

I think a tag-team of both Skele-bros would be neat.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium

I lost my **** when Undertale was revealed. Then Crash, then Smash.

I'm all for Sans still, just... after Rayman, Simon Belmont, Sora, & the return of Snake.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I think a tag-team of both Skele-bros would be neat.
Now we are talking.

If that would be possible.
It would be very interesting, but ultimately polarizing. Sans has no problem fighting, but is too lazy to want to fight without purpose, and Papyrus is unwilling to truly harm people, but isn't afraid to try doing what he must to do his tasks.

And if it were possible, it'd have to be a transformation instead of a dual on-screen character. Or at least have Sans pull out his brother to do a special attack for him, maybe to increase the gravity or lower the jump height of the opponent.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Count me in, Sans was always my third most wanted indie character.

Imagine Megalovania in Smash. That would be Heaven in musical form.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It would be very interesting, but ultimately polarizing. Sans has no problem fighting, but is too lazy to want to fight without purpose, and Papyrus is unwilling to truly harm people, but isn't afraid to try doing what he must to do his tasks.

And if it were possible, it'd have to be a transformation instead of a dual on-screen character. Or at least have Sans pull out his brother to do a special attack for him, maybe to increase the gravity or lower the jump height of the opponent.
Yeah, a Final Smash cameo is far more likely for Papyrus. Sans is seen as the face of Undertale for fans and non-fans to this day. So I can agree that he makes much more sense as the playable character.

LaughingLefou

Smash Apprentice
I whole-heartedly support Sans, and hope to see him in the newest Smash! I'd certainly main him if I could, regardless of how effective he actually is in the game.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I will reiterate what I said in the last Sans thread:

Sans is a flashy fighter to the extreme. Full screen, multi-hit lasers aren't just a thing he has access to, they're a key part of his fighting style.

But his attacks do little but chip damage and his knockback would similarly be weak to nonexistant, IMO.

Sans plays the keep away game through fear. Players can approach through his attacks and he has little to stop them doing so but they will inevitably accumulate massive damage if they don't play his way. His borderline bullet hell way.

Sans is about covering the maximum amount of the screen with damage while moving the least amount possible himself. He's about giving the opponent a choice as to how to deal with that but ultimately punishing them if they don't work for the approach.

It's a design ethos that encompasses his laziness, judgement, weak stats and gameplay mechanics perfectly, IMO, while also taking into account the tainted freedom offered by his source material. I hope that you all agree.

It's gonna suck playing as a character that can only get hit once before dying :p

TBH, as much as I love Undertale, I think I would be fine with just music. Im sure a reveal would have me laughing my ass off though.
:061:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
i want sans undertale, or any undertale character like frisk or papyrus to get in. an undertale character would be totally sweeeeeeeeeet. i gotta wonder how sakurai will handle indie characters in smash if it gets into consideration.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I kinda jumped on the Undertale hate bandwagon a while ago, despite loving the game before.
However, I realized that replaying the game might be a good idea to see how I feel about it now. I'm not a supporter yet, but I might be in the future.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I honestly wouldn’t mind having this. At first I thought this would never be a realistic idea, but with undertale switch it can be. I feel OP did outline why sans over the Human, and I would love to hear the Undertale soundtrack in the game.

I also had a dream last night that they did a second smash ballot and that Sans won. Might be a good/bad sign lol.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
no way is this happening.

but a skeleton can have some hopes and dreams, can't he?

In all seriousness, the fact that Sans is actually possible now is actually pretty amazing. Support.

Morbi

Scavenger
I have a weird feeling about him. Usually with potential third-party characters, they feel... Unlikely. You just cannot understand why they merit inclusion, especially relative to the all-stars already in Smash, but people support them regardless. Do not get me wrong, that is true of Sans. However, for whatever reason, I can just see it.

LaughingLefou

Smash Apprentice
I have a weird feeling about him. Usually with potential third-party characters, they feel... Unlikely. You just cannot understand why they merit inclusion, especially relative to the all-stars already in Smash, but people support them regardless. Do not get me wrong, that is true of Sans. However, for whatever reason, I can just see it.
I think Sans has *slightly* higher potential if only for the fact that he comes from an indie developer as opposed to a major company, which would be *much* harder to deal with in terms of legality and profit sharing. It would be even more likely if Toby Fox likes Smash Bros...

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think Sans has *slightly* higher potential if only for the fact that he comes from an indie developer as opposed to a major company, which would be *much* harder to deal with in terms of legality and profit sharing. It would be even more likely if Toby Fox likes Smash Bros...
I feel pretty safe in saying that he likes Smash Bros. I feel like the more relevant question would be if Sakurai or someone on the Smash development team likes (or has heard of) Undertale.

Last edited:

LaughingLefou

Smash Apprentice
I feel pretty safe in saying that he likes Smash Bros. I feel like the more relevant question would be if Sakurai or someone on the Smash development team likes (or has heard of) Undertale.
I'd be surprised if they haven't; it's become quite the breakout hit and cultural sensation. I mean, it's not Minecraft, but it's extremely popular for an indie game. Maybe not in Japan, but one need only a very cursory glance at the USA to see how much of an impact the game has had.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Not as big as it once was, but the UT fandom still works fast. Check it

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I always imagined Sans being in smash as a pipe dream. He would fight with his arms behind his back and summon bones to attack.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Here's one strange thing I am noticing.

There are an awful lot of Smash memes relating to Sans lately thanks to the Direct.

It's as if people think he's very likely for Smash because of the port.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Zero-Suit Ness.

Nah but I really do love Sans, easily the best part about Undertale IMO. If anyone from this game should get in, it's him.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Here's one strange thing I am noticing.

There are an awful lot of Smash memes relating to Sans lately thanks to the Direct.

It's as if people think he's very likely for Smash because of the port.
Honestly I think it's just the fact that he was in the Direct at all, so there's a built-in association. He was just on people's minds during the Direct, is all, so he saw a stronger Smash demand surge. :p

Sans would be neat. I'd prefer Papyrus (hell, Undyne or Mettaton would be awesome too), but Sans is great too.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Never change Undertale fans, ever change.

For context, there was this page called Smash Ballot on Twitter where they make a post about any character for Smash Switch hype. One of those characters he didn't want to make a post for was Sans. He not only was bombarded with loads of requests, but had to make a poll to see if he should do it. Then he finally made the post just to satisfy those fans.

Quite the funny read.

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
There's 2 other characters I'd rather have that are indie characters over Sans or anyone else from Undertale but I'm not opposed to the idea so...why not? I'd be ok with this. Plus, hey, he might have an amazing moveset for all I know and I do enjoy some Undertale tunes.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I have a problem with this, in canon, he only have one hit and the only reason why he is so strong is because he is playing with the code of the game.
He is also only fighting against you because if not, there will never be a happy ending and everyone in the world will die yes or yes, pretty much he was forced.
Not even if you kill his brother he will fight against you.
Not only that, but he is also a total spoiler, I know almost all the people know it already, but not all, and the fact he not only fights but he is also very strong would be a spoiler, since he is the final boss of genocide.
I think that characters like Undyne or the Human makes more sense, the first because is a fish fighter, and the second because is the protagonist.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just figure that, if anyone's the face of the game, it would either be the human or Sans, and ideally (at least, in the only ending where you get credits) the human is an absolute pacifist.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I just figure that, if anyone's the face of the game, it would either be the human or Sans, and ideally (at least, in the only ending where you get credits) the human is an absolute pacifist.
You can get the pacifist ending and still hit some monsters with a stick, the pacifist ending you get it without killing any monster, but you can still hurt them or punch them.
And remember, to get the pacifist ending, first you have to beat the game in normal, if not you can't trigger the secret lab part.
That means the human have to fight Asgore yes or yes, then beat Flowey, then go back to their last save and do the secret lab.
In canon, the human remembers what happen, just like flowey, unless you reset after a true pacifist ending.
In conclusion, the human only can get the true pacifist after beating Asgore and Flowey, so they have to fight.
BUT, even if they wouldn't even fight back, that is still no excuse for them to not be in the game, after all, the villager from Animal Crossing never fights anything in their life, yet they are in the game with a creative moveset

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Let's be real: a Sans inclusion would make a lot of people very upset, and not because of the usual "why'd he get in over ______" reasons.

At the same time, he might be the only guy who could trump the Cloud reveal, if Nintendo's ever interested in that sort of thing. Maybe after Crash Bandicoot, tho

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I'd say Sans is more iconic than the human. I have very limited experience with UT, but I've seen Sans and Megalovania everywhere when someone mentions the game. Sans has a very distinct personality and is the most memorable character from that game imo. I think the crazy nature of his true character/boss fight really resonated with people who finished Genocide, and he stands out more than even the protagonist.

Definitely support, even as a casual fan. Though, I'm not sure if sticking with canon (extreme laziness/messing with code, only taking one hit before dying) could work without being horribly unbalanced in either direction (god tier or trash tier).

Top Bottom