• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Having trouble killing with YL pre 150%

BINOz

Smash Rookie
I feel like I can rack damage up easy, but once it comes to KOing them, I find it harder. I feel like everyone lives up to 180%. I know dair kills but I feel like it's so risky. I use it but it only works above 110%. I'm not trying to kill someone pre 100% with a Smash move because I know that doesnt kill. I've gotten a few gimp kills neutral air off the stage and it's very situational.
If it means anything, I'm at 1.5mil GSP

It just feels like everyone else has a kill throw at 100% and stronger smash moves. But if YL could kill early, he'd be pretty broken.

Just venting out some frustrations and seeing how everyone else here sets up kills.

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
Yeah thats his design. His damage output is seriously insane. He does have plenty of kill confirms however. Bomb in particular leads to F-air which is your bread and butter kill option. Hell, even a meaty boomerang hit and a fire arrow pops your opponent up enough to get an aerial in. D-smash is also a decent KO option especially at the ledge when edgeguarding characters with recoveries that dont snap to the ledge.

Landing with the first hit of F-air also leads to your smash attacks.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Dsmash to get them offstage and drop down Nair gimps well. Pivot Fsmash kills early. Don't be afraid to use Dair, unless the opponent has really good disjoint it trades well.

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
Like Metalbro said above, that fair is the bread and butter kill option. Boomerang, fire arrow, then fair + 110% should get you the KO. I like to kill with uspecial near the top of the stage at higher %s too.

Epok

Smash Ace
Couple things,

Projectiles are your best friend for killing.
They all lead to fair confirms wich can kill, or good spam... er space control can tilt your opponent to making mistakes you can punish.

Go offstage... floating nair into jump nair is oppressive off stage. Bair into the stage is harder to tech because it’s a double hit. Throw a bomb at them to make them panic off stage.

Yink is good at making your opponent uncomfortable.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Dont be afraid to go off the stage. Hes extremely good at edge guarding and his recovery is good enough to allow him to go deep enough to net a stock.

Epok

Smash Ace
Like Metalbro said above, that fair is the bread and butter kill option. Boomerang, fire arrow, then fair + 110% should get you the KO. I like to kill with uspecial near the top of the stage at higher %s too.
Oh. Speaking of fair. The first hit of that move is magic. If you do a hard fastfall and only hit them with that first hit, you get at least 3 good kill options:
Up smash
Down smash
Up special > up air
All of these can take a stock around 110%
The other great thing about this is it works at a very wide percentage range because ou how the fair pulls them down.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I mean, that's the tradeoff. Same as shiek in Smash4, killing is hard, gimping/racking up damage is not.
I just wish up-air would kill a little better.
That's kinda how it is with all 3 of the Links. They all have their own tradeoffs. I like the way they differentiated all 3. None of them are perfect but all 3 definitely have their strengths.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
Premium
BRoomer
Also keep in mind that nair starts strong and becomes weaker the longer it's out. If you can connect a frame-1 nair, it will kill for sure. This requires patience and not throwing the nair out at the very start of a jump or whatever.

Travitoninja99

Smash Cadet
NNID
ΩZero
Switch FC
SW-7339-8935-1294
Oh. Speaking of fair. The first hit of that move is magic. If you do a hard fastfall and only hit them with that first hit, you get at least 3 good kill options:
Up smash
Down smash
Up special > up air
All of these can take a stock around 110%
The other great thing about this is it works at a very wide percentage range because ou how the fair pulls them down.
This. I love doing fastfall first hit of Fair into Down Smash, it works so well. His Fair in general is just a really good option.

And yeah Nair is amazing too, it kill surprisingly early and is super useful in general

zacknotzach

Smash Rookie
I've found a bomb to fair to kill very well at ledges at 100% or more. From my testing, this is true at most percents, similar to toon links smash 4 bomb fair, but without the jump cancel toss. I also have not finished my testing of this, but dtilt up air seems to be true unless they di away in which case it's not always true. This kills (from my testing on a mid-weight character) at about 115% - 140%, assuming you are fast enough to get the strong hit. This is my main way of killing because of running tilts in ultimate. Another good way to kill, like someone already said is first it of fair because it can true combo into up smash at kill percents, but can sometimes be hard to hit in neutral. Also, a short hop bomb thrown downward can lead to strong nair, which will kill at ledges. This can also be pretty good out of shield, assuming you already have a bomb pulled. This can be difficult to hit at first, but with a little practice you can get it down, and t looks pretty flashy as well. These along with nair gimps offstage are the main ways I've been killing with Young Link so far. Hope this helps, I might update once I finish testing the 2 kill confirms I found, because I cannot trust the training mode combo counter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom